IGNORED

Backfitting BMW TPMS

BMWLou

Has anyone installed the BMW TPMS on a late model RT. I just purchased the 90th Anniversary RT and it had all the bells and whistles except the TPMS. If reasonable to do, what must be installed besides wheel sensors.

I have a 2012 RT and one of the reasons I shopped around the entire state of Florida was because I wanted a TPMS.

As far as the 2012 model year went the option for the TPMS was a factory only option. You can add all the components but the software codes to activate the system needs to be installed. BMW does not and will not release the software codes to the dealers for the RT model. Unless this changed from 2012 you can not retrofit this option. I read somewhere that other or certain BMW models can be dealer retrofit because BMW allows it. Why the difference is beyond me. Best thing to do is check with your dealer and see if BMW will allow the retrofit.

Morning Lou

As mentioned above you really need to talk to your selling dealer.

In the past it was never available as a retrofit due mainly to the extreme expense as the OEM wheels were not machined to take the wheel sensors. (new RDC wheels were well over $1,000.00 each).

I see in the parts book the replacement wheel is now the same as the RDC so m-a-y-b-e the newer 1200RT's come with an RDC wheel as OEM. (or BMW just supplies the RDC wheel now as replacement for all)

If your wheels are not set up for wheel sensors the cost would be way more than the system would be worth.

Thanks for the info on the TPMS back fit. Yes, it looks like it will not be reasonable to install. I have the system on my K1600 and love it being part of the onboard display. I was hoping to do the same with the RT.

Archived