IGNORED

Motorcycle consumer news article - BMW EFI booster plugs

Doug_Baliko

Interesting article in the latest Motorcycle Consumer News on BMW EFI booster plugs. It says that the two models tested adjust the fuel mixture, which makes the bike run smoother, and increases gas mileage a bit. Anyone have any experience with these?

http://mobileservices.texterity.com/mcnews/201312d/m3/Page.action?folio=31&linkImageSrc=http%3A%2F%2Fimages-cdn.dashdigital.com%2Fmcnews%2F201312d%2Fdata%2Fimgpages%2Fmobile_tn2%2F0031_nyxlxt.png%3Flm%3D1384550233000&lm=1384550233000

Doug

Possibly dumb question time. I went to a site that sells the Accelerator module, another product mentioned in the MCN article. It asked whether I have a catalytic converter. My 2006 RT has a Staintune exhaust slip on but no other modifications. I don't know if the catalytic converter is removed for the Staintune install.

One doesn't need to touch the cat to simply change a muffler.

Takes serious $ to pull the cat and replace everything, compared to a muffler.

FWIW- all you get with a muffler change on any modern machine (with full closed loop adaptive fueling (like the BMS-K does)is more noise- not bad if that's what you want.

To get more than that, you need to address fuel programming at a minimum- that's the easy way to improve driveability and maybe get some useful but modest gains- maybe on the order of 10% if you're lucky and your machines original programming was super lean.

To get serious increases you need to improve air flow significantly (no a K&N air filter won't do that, not even close) and there are two ways to do that- add boost with a turbo or supercharger, or open the motor ports, valve seats etc and add cam lift / timing. That type of air flow increase will require major changes in programming, bigger injectors and a host of other stuff depending on the specifics.

I plead guilty to putting the Staintune on my bike primarily for the sound it makes. It's not loud but has a deeper sound that I enjoy hearing. Probably an indefensible use of dollars but it makes me happy.

Racer7, thanks for the reply. I'm always impressed with how gracious the fine folks on this site are about sharing their knowledge with others.

I'm going to buy one and find out. Seemed like a rave review - higher MPGs, better throttle response, and slightly increased HP measured on a dyno. Prickett's reviews are trustworthy in my experience.

-MKL

Moshe,

You may like the initial result but in the long run it will do nothing. The reason is the adaptives in the BMS-K.

Suggest getting caught up with the data from Roger04 RT and friends re the development of the AF-XiED which shows exactly how the Motronics and BMS-K work.

Nothing wrong with the Booster Plug idea otherwise and it is well done though limited by the BMS-K eventually.

Having tried the AF-XiED and logged data on an R1100S and a K1200GT, I'd suggest giving it a try if you want a permanent change to driveability. It can do what the Booster Plug does to open loop though given the way the adaptives work it will take a while to get there. The Booster Plug does open loop and the AF-XiED closed loop - you could run them together if you wished.

The initial install of the F-XiED on the R1100S provided a very dramatic change in driveability and throttle response- just like the guys at BB say. On the K1200GT (wedge) the most immediate effect was complete elimination of a bad case of fuel injection herky jerkies. Haven't tried it on my RT or F800 yet but intend to.

FWIW, the article noted isn't very technical- mostly anecdotal.

Should have had logged data from a GS-911 and maybe a dyno run or two with the relevant daa also shown.

Racer-

Given my experience in publishing articles, including with MCN, I'd bet the author DID include some dyno charts (he gave the numbers) and maybe some pics of his MPG averages as well. When the editors are limited for space, they can chop up your submission, sometimes badly. It can turn a solid, technical piece into an anecdotal one pretty quickly! I've had it done to me, and so now I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to others. Prickett's a solid columnist IMO.

Noted on the eventuality, but for this small expense, I just had to try for myself. It's on the way - not here yet.

-MKL

The thing is, the magazine test used a F650GS test mule. It uses completely different ECU compared to the R1200 or R11xx bikes.

Not sure if the old BMS-C used in F650 uses the lambda sensor feed-back to correct also the open-loop tables, likely not.

The BMS-K of R1200 does. -> IAT sensor offset will get canceled out after an adaption period.

That MCN article is lacking in depth. There is no mention of the author clearing the fueling computer adaptives between each iteration (the only way to get a clean slate between tests).

There is also mention of 1800 miles on each but no mention of ambient weather during the tests (1800 miles usually takes a long time). Unless the ambient temps & humidity was very similar during all the tests that data is pretty useless.

Where the same roads ridden at the very same ambients & humidity levels, using the very same gasoline, riding with the same riding gear, with the same tires? If not that test is purely wishing & hoping.

At 1800 miles per test that could have even meant new tires at some point during the testing (or at least worn tires for some part of the testing). New (different) tires or worn tires can effect the recorded vs actual traveled miles as well as effect dyno numbers.

Even seasonal gasoline or riding gear selection could (would) have effected the MPG numbers more than any difference in using those intake temp altering devices.

What the article doesn't show is possible accelerated engine wear due to cold start cylinder washing & engine oil pollution in very cold ambient start conditions.

In my mind, the only way to get something close to comparable is to do a an A-B-A then an A-C-A or at least do an A-B-C then back to A as a follow up controller.

I encourage you guys to write to MCN. Getting feedback like this is EXCELLENT for two reasons:

1) If the author of the piece left out valuable info, next time he may go further into depth

2) If the author was thorough but the editors chopped out valuable info, next time they may be more careful

Either way, things don't improve without feedback. Hell, someone's ALWAYS writing in to chop my head off after everything I publish! :wave:

-MKL

Re mpg- I know the first thing I do after any change aimed at power or driveability is to throttle up and run heck out of it.

Kills mpg every time but tells one nothing about mpg in normal use.

Had to see why a bit of enrichment in open loop mode would have much of an mpg effect one way or the other unless all you did was full throttle testing. And who cares about small differences anyway?

I sent an email to the company that makes the Booster Plug asking them to refute the information regarding the bikes computer overriding whatever initial benefits their product might have. I also put the link to this subject in the email. I'm interested to hear what they have to say as a rebuttal.

Doug

I sent an email to the company that makes the Booster Plug asking them to refute the information regarding the bikes computer overriding whatever initial benefits their product might have. I also put the link to this subject in the email. I'm interested to hear what they have to say as a rebuttal.

Doug

----------------------------------------

And here is Jens Lyck's reply:

Hi Doug,

The discussion about the BMW ECU's ability to update its own basic fuel map is a long term rumor, but with the usual narrow band lambda sensor that every manufacturer (including BMW) is using, this is not possible at all. The narrow band sensor is very digital (on/off) in its behavior, so it's impossible to use the sensor information to update the fuel map. To do this you would need a wide band sensor, but this technology is certainly not for production bikes as they are fragile and expensive. I've been experimenting a lot with adaption and narrow band / wide band sensors, so I know in details how they works (and destroyed quite a few wide band sensors on the way……).

Think about it for a minute: If the lambda sensor was able to provide information that would allow the ECU to update it's own fuel map, it would override it's own temperature and air pressure input signals too, meaning that BMW is just spending lots of money on useless sensors. Also it would override all kind of fuel remapping attempts: Power Commanders, BoosterPlug's, even the factory's own software updates. This is obviously not so.

The Lambda sensor is installed to correct the Air/Fuel Ratio error that comes from the production tolerance of sensors/ fuel pump/injectors, and the lambda sensor is necessary because the law demands that the Air/Fuel Ratio is kept borderline lean.

Tolerances of different components are being summed up, and if they all go in one direction, you will have a bike with really poor (lean) fueling and lots of stalling problems. If they all sum up in the opposite direction, you would have a bike that was running a little richer and you would have better running bike. This is why otherwise equal bikes are behaving differently, and the Lambda sensor is doing it's best to fix the problem, but can only do this in closed loop situations, not in open loop. This is where the BoosterPlug is a good fix.

The Lambda sensor will provide a real time fuel correction when you are riding in closed loop conditions, but this is just a final adjustment to the fuel injection calculations - there's no fuel map updates being made so the BoosterPlug is not being cancelled out over time.

Sorry for the rather technical answer, but there was no other way I could explain this.

Best Regards

Jens Lyck

BoosterPlug.com

Lillemark 17

4990 Sakskøbing

Denmark

Mail: jens@boosterplug.com

Web: www.boosterplug.com

I have Jens BoosterPlug on my 05 K12S.

I bought it because the bike had an occasional throttle roll on stumble at about 4k rpm. Some other K12 owners told me the plug helped. The F800x crew also seems to like these plugs.

To be perfectly honest, I installed the plug and have never had a stumble since. I've put about 3k miles on, no other changes. I can't make any other claims for the device, but it solved the small annoying problem I had.

Responding to the comments from Jens regarding adaptation.

Since adaptation values are described in the R1150 BMW manual in many places, since the GS-911 reports the short term fuel trims for the BMSK, since the GS-911 can reset adaptation values for the BMSK, and since all closed loop adaptation is done with the stock Narrowband O2 sensor for a broad range of motor vehicles including motorcycles, the argument in the prior post doesn't really hold up.

The effect of adaptation values can be measured by equipment like the GS-911 and LC-1 and can be felt by the rider. Without adaptation, since there are so many sensors in a fuel injection system there would be a wide variation in driving characteristics without it.

Simply, adaptation values are calculated in those areas (which are very broad) of the fuel map where the BMW ECUs can run the closed loop program. By using the stock narrowband O2 to calculate the amount of fuel to hit lambda=1 (14.7 for gasoline) and comparing it to the open loop calculation the ECU can quickly arrive at the difference between the two. After getting those differences in broad areas of the fuel map the ECU can apply them where it wants to. For instance if the ECU finds that the average correction in the closed loop area (using the narrowband O2 as a reference) is +4% it can add that amount in the non-closed loop areas too. That is a simple explanation of a more complex process.

The technology of closed loop adaptation was invented in the 1970s and has been used since. There are hundreds of patents by German, American and Japanese automotive electronic companies on adaptation. You do NOT need a Wideband O2 sensor to calculate Adaptations.

While one could debate adaptation's coverage or effectiveness, its existence is a simple fact.

The technology of closed loop adaptation was invented in the 1970s and has been used since. There are hundreds of patents by German, American and Japanese automotive electronic companies on adaptation. You do NOT need a Wideband O2 sensor to calculate Adaptations.

Yes. The response from Boosterplug is surprisingly incorrect, either intentionally or accidentally. Either way it doesn't inspire me to want to have much to do with their product.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have joined this forum because I stumbled on this thread and have an interest in it's findings. I've seen Roger's impressive work on datalogging.I was mulling over the operation of the Boosterplug in relation to adaptation(assuming it is a reality) which Jens denies!

The following thought popped into my head:-

If we assume adaptation is a reality !!! Then a Boosterplug giving the quoted 6% enrichment on a STANDARD UNMODIFIED(lean factory set) bike in open loop, - on entering closed loop the ECU registers 6% too much fuel and would eventually adapt out the benefit provided from Boosterplug.

On a bike with AFTERMARKET EXHAUST/FILTER requiring for arguments sake a 6% richer mixture- on entering closed loop the mixture would be correct so the whole map remains more or less at a perfect (in theory) 6%.

By the same token a bike/exhaust requiring 10% enrichment would be 4% weak so the added 4% would eventually be overlaid on top of the Boosterplugs 6 % creating an over rich mixture in open loop

As I say, just a thought. Comments welcome,

Welcome durobra, good to have ya here.

How would the ECU know whether the bike had an aftermarket exhaust/filter to know it needed 6% enrichment?

How would it know it needed 10% enrichment?

In closed loop would it not be whatever it takes to stay as close to 14.7/1 as possible, no matter the exhaust/filter combo?

Is it really a surprise that all of the IAT manufacturers deny adaptation when admitting it would halt sales?

Ride safely.

Terry

I may be wrong here (usually am) but it seems people are reading in way to much technical data into this booster plug. If what I am thinking is right it just changes what the ECM thinks it see's to help richen up the mixture. Diesel trucks have been doing this exact same adjustment for years with very good results. I am running and Edge programmer in my diesel and this is just how it makes it's power but with a lot more inputs than just the IAT sensor. It seems that all this does is make adjustments to the IAT to make the ECM believe it needs more fuel. Pretty simple concept.

Chris

I may be wrong here (usually am) but it seems people are reading in way to much technical data into this booster plug. If what I am thinking is right it just changes what the ECM thinks it see's to help richen up the mixture. Diesel trucks have been doing this exact same adjustment for years with very good results. I am running and Edge programmer in my diesel and this is just how it makes it's power but with a lot more inputs than just the IAT sensor. It seems that all this does is make adjustments to the IAT to make the ECM believe it needs more fuel. Pretty simple concept.

Chris

The simplest possible way to think about what happens when you introduce an "offset" to the IAT input (which is what devices like the BoosterPlug or Accelerator Module do), to an operating fully "adapted" motorcycle (adapated meaning that the short and long term fuel trims have stabilized), is as follows:

1. The moment you "shift" the IAT sensor, the fueling calculations add about 6% more fuel.

2. As soon as the motorcycle is operating in any part of the fueling map where it can use the O2 sensor (a very large part of it), the BMSK or Motronic starts calculating Short Term Fuel Trims. As soon as it calculates those short term trims, the Open Loop calculations, which use the short term trims, no longer have any excess fuel.

3. Over a longer time frame, the Motronic or BMSK, updates the Long Term Fuel trims with the goal of bringing the Short Term trims back closer to neutral. The Long Term Trims are intended to provide corrections for all manner of engine wear or sensor error. Those long term trims are applied to fueling calculations in all areas of fueling. At this point, the effect of the IAT offset has been essentially eliminated.

RB

I installed mine. Still testing, but so far, no difference whatsoever in any way. MPGs the same. Power and delivery, seat of the pants, same.

-MKL

Welcome durobra, good to have ya here.

How would the ECU know whether the bike had an aftermarket exhaust/filter to know it needed 6% enrichment?

How would it know it needed 10% enrichment?

In closed loop would it not be whatever it takes to stay as close to 14.7/1 as possible, no matter the exhaust/filter combo?

Is it really a surprise that all of the IAT manufacturers deny adaptation when admitting it would halt sales?

Ride safely.

Terry

Via the o2 sensor feedback.

What I'm saying is if you fit an exhaust/filter then the standard bike will adapt to this. If you connect a device into the ECU to read the trim values after adaption you will see the AFV has changed from 100% to 106% for example.If the ECU is getting that 6% in open loop from the Boosterplug will it say to itself when it transfers to closed loop "WHOA this fuelling is spot on I don't need to change anything" via adaption.

I was editing but ran out of time!

What I'm saying is if you fit an exhaust/filter then the standard bike will adapt to this. If you connect a device into the ECU to read the trim values after adaption you will see the AFV has changed from 100% to 106% for example (the exhaust/filter mod has allowed the engine to use 6% more fuel.I'm using 6% purely because it matches the 6% the BP will add but it could be more or less than that figure).If the ECU is getting that 6% in open loop from the Boosterplug will it say to itself when it transfers to closed loop "WHOA this fuelling is spot on I don't need to change anything" via adaption. I'm assuming the closed loop mixture carries on from where the open loop left off otherwise you might have some wierd transitions everytime it changed.

"What I'm saying is if you fit an exhaust/filter then the standard bike will adapt to this."

durobra, I am not seeing how that happens, can you explain it a little more please? Using a stock O2 setup will always result in 14.7, correct? The closed loop does not adapt to the open loop, it is always trying to maintain 14.7, correct?

Terry

I installed mine. Still testing, but so far, no difference whatsoever in any way. MPGs the same. Power and delivery, seat of the pants, same.

Which is what one would expect from a truly objective report, and congratulations for that. More often you will see owners extolling the virtue of these devices, how they totally transformed the bike, more power, more mileage, etc. Placebo sometimes works better than a real fix.

Well, I'm not so quick to believe my butt 100% Seth. Prickett had SPECIFIC MPG gains and dyno numbers as part of his article. I have 50 miles seat of the pants. I'm saying I don't feel anything, and my MPGs (reset prior to - and on the same commute as usual) are the same.

-MKL

Evening Seth

One of the things about IAT spoofers like the Booster Plug is: there can be a small improvement in the cold runability & open loop runability for a short time after install (especially if the adaptives have not been reset).

As soon as the fueling computer learns the spoofing offset it's back to running like it used to but the rider saw that initial short time improvement & their mind was set.

I have seen automotive fuel economy improvement tests where we were looking for a 3% gain & got less from drivers that didn't know a REAL device was added & up to 10% improvements in the control vehicles that a non functional device was added but the driver was told it was there & they could see it in place.

I have also seen data supporting a shinny penny taped to the cars air cleaner top (with driver seeing it) improving mileage over 8%. It worked for real world drivers but funny the dyno computer could never see that improvement when the computer controlled the throttle & shift schedule.

I sent an email to the editor of MCN asking them to look at the booster plug issue further. I put a link to this forum topic in the email. We'll see if anything further is heard from MCN on the issue.

Doug

Dave Searle is pretty good about passing such mails to the columnists for comment and response. God knows I get people criticizing everything I write! Hopefully we will get to a good conclusion. It was cheap, so I don't feel bad about buying it. It gave me the excuse to take the tupperware off and install some other stuff that's been lying around awhile!

-MKL

Since adaptive (short term and long term fuel trims) mixture control is a 35 year-old technology for Bosch, since BMW had warnings about Adaptation Values in its Oilhead manuals and since the GS-911 includes a function for resetting adaptation values, the burden should be on the makers of IAT shift devices to show adaptation does not affect the long term result. However, some comments below. I can add some other measurements later.

There is a lot of misinformation about the role of Adaptation in BMW motorcycle ECUs (BMSK and Motronic) as I mentioned a couple posts back, Adaptation is very real, and important in the operation of the engine. Adaptation corrects for engine changes that occur with aging, fuel stoiciometry (amount of ethanol) and sensor errors or sensor changes.

To lend some hard data to the discussion, below are a pair of charts taken from an r1200gs that show the role of Adaptation (software correction of the fueling tables by using the O2 sensors). In the case below, the engine has been started cold.

The bottom chart shows engine temperature (it's warming up), throttle angle (mostly at idle with a few blips) and basic fuel injection time (slowly brought down by the BMSK as the motorcycle warms). The displayed injection time is the Open Loop fueling estimate (a calculation from the fuel tables and sensors).

The top chart shows engine RPM (pretty steady except for the throttle blips) and the two Lambda Control Factors in RED and BLUE (which are the short term fuel trims, which vary moment by moment). This trim is for Closed Loop correction. Two things are very clear, the corrections vary a lot as the bike warms up, and the requirements for AFR control by the Oxygen sensor vary between the two cylinders. (The R1200 has two O2 sensors which makes the BMSK much better at managing the engine than the Oilhead's Motronic.) I'm always amazed at how busy the BMSK is, managing these short term trims (adaptations). The red/blue line trims are varying from -15% to about +5% all while idling.

After a time, these short term trims (the Lambda Control Factors) become LONG TERM trims (not reported by the BMSK). The idea is that by nudging up the Long Term trims, the fuel tables get matched to the actual performance of an individual motorcycle.

bmsklcfs.jpg

-MKL

I am by no means an expert in any of this. But I assume that you being in NJ means that the temps are already cold. Being that the device is meant to trick the system by making the bike think it's colder than it actually is, the idea behind thie booster plug may be negated in actual cold weather. Just a thought.

Doug

The BoosterPlug actually causes a 20C reduction in measured temperature at any ambient temperature. In other words if it is -10C outside, the BMSK measure -30C and if it is +30C outside the BMSK measures +10C. So if there was to be an effect over the long haul, it would not matter what the outside air temp was.

If you run an Open Loop motorcycle it is very easy to show the effect of the BoosterPlug (chart below). The top chart is open loop without BP, and the bottom is Open Loop with BP. The bottom chart is 6% richer.

However, once you add an o2 sensor and Closed Loop the fueling reverts to the O2 sensor target. Then the charts with and without BP look the same. That is why for adding fuel you need something like an LC-1 or AF-XIED for BMW that shifts the O2 sensor control target.

afropenbp.jpg

Something else to ponder:

When I installed this, I also installed some other stuff (lighting mostly) which required me to disconnect the battery for a minute. So the unit started with the settings "fresh," not in any learned state. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

-MKL

When I installed this, I also installed some other stuff (lighting mostly) which required me to disconnect the battery for a minute. So the unit started with the settings "fresh," not in any learned state. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Morning MKL

Possibly, not long term but short term improvement- YES.

Starting with cleared adaptives is the proper way to evaluate things that modify fueling computer sensor inputs.

-MKL

I am by no means an expert in any of this. But I assume that you being in NJ means that the temps are already cold. Being that the device is meant to trick the system by making the bike think it's colder than it actually is, the idea behind thie booster plug may be negated in actual cold weather. Just a thought.

Doug

This is what Toyota says regarding the differences in temperature between the IAT and ECT.

TOYOTA Technical Training:

The IAT is used for detecting ambient temperature on a cold start and intake air temperature as the engine heats up the incoming air. One strategy the ECM uses to determine a cold engine start is by comparing the ECT and IAT signals. If both are within 8°C (15°F) of each other, the ECM assumes it is a cold start.

Maybe not applicable to BMW but which temperature does the ECU believe when the IAT says 0C and the ECT aays 20C?

Terry

-MKL

Perhaps for a short time. If you look back a few post at the Chart with Lambda Control Factors, I'm not sure I notes that it was: a) a cold start and b) the owner had just (accidentally) switched his IAT mod from -20C to -10C.

You can see that the LCFs are working about 30 seconds after start. That is how quickly the BMSK starts working to get the Adaptives right. Half a tank of fuel later, with a conservative riding style, you're well into the process.

RB

-MKL

Doug

This is what Toyota says regarding the differences in temperature between the IAT and ECT.

TOYOTA Technical Training:

The IAT is used for detecting ambient temperature on a cold start and intake air temperature as the engine heats up the incoming air. One strategy the ECM uses to determine a cold engine start is by comparing the ECT and IAT signals. If both are within 8°C (15°F) of each other, the ECM assumes it is a cold start.

Maybe not applicable to BMW but which temperature does the ECU believe when the IAT says 0C and the ECT aays 20C?

Terry

Hey Terry,

You've raised an interesting issue that never gets a lot of play when IAT shifters are discussed. That point is that there is that after the bike sits IAT and ECT are never equal. It is likely, although I haven't measured it, the the Motronic or BMSK uses the two sensors being about equal as a sign of a cold soaked engine.

RB

It makes sense. Motor sits all night, air temp., cylinder temp., engine temp., oil (coolant) temp,. are all roughly the same no matter if that is 20 or 70 degrees, the ECU sees it as a cold start. Now we ride the bike, turn it off, after 10 minutes or so the IAT is ambient or cool, the cylinder head, engine, coolant are all hot, there is no need for a cold start procedure from the ECU.

The more research I do, the more I realize how sophisticated the ECU is. Through your efforts we know the differences between the Motronic 1.2 and 2.4 are huge. The BMSK is very fast. Where the Motronic 2.4 takes several minutes to go into closed loop, the BMSK is under Lambda control in 35 +/- seconds even at 35 degrees F.

I cannot take credit for any of this, I believe you posted something on your battery cold start problem or I saw it in your data or my data, I cannot recall. It caught my eye and I started thinking about it, makes sense.

Be well.

Terry

"What I'm saying is if you fit an exhaust/filter then the standard bike will adapt to this."

durobra, I am not seeing how that happens, can you explain it a little more please? Using a stock O2 setup will always result in 14.7, correct? The closed loop does not adapt to the open loop, it is always trying to maintain 14.7, correct?

Terry

An exhaust and filter will improve the volumetric efficiency of the engine and cause the mixture to be weakened by allowing the engine to "breathe" better. This weakening will be picked up by the 02 sensor and so the ECU will adapt by increasing fuelling (via AF ratio). All your other observations are correct but surely any extra fuelling registered during the transition from open loop to closed loop must have some effect otherwise the arguement regarding adaption bypassing the AIT spoofers effect doesn't stand.

Anyway the AF-XIED has been ordered. I am the Nuda test pilot I would assume!

Steve Mullen told me you'd ordered for the Nuda. Should work great. PM me if you have questions. RB

• 2 months later...

Digital edition of Motorcycle Consumer News came out today.

In the Letters section Gary Prickett responds to Doug

Baliko. An excerpt follows:

My experience is that the performance enhancements provided by both devices do not degrade over time. The F800-series parallel twin is the only bike I own, and on which the 18-month long testing was conducted. I have no way of knowing if the results would be the same with other models in the BMW lineup.

I saw that. My experience on my RT is zero difference in seat dyno and zero difference in fuel economy. It's $40 so not a big loss, but I didn't see any difference whatsoever in any parameter.

-MKL

My 0.02c worth. Fitted an accelerator module some 2 years or more ago

in the hope of sorting out a mysterious cut out issue. (It didn't but that's another post)

Initially seemed to make low gear roll on from low speed a little

less 'jerky' with no adverse effect on the mpg.

GS-911 indicates it still giving a -15c/-20c intake air temp decrease at the sensor, but seems the

system has since adapted, so back to slightly 'jerky' roll on at low speed.

All in all, no overall difference over time from my experience.

YMMV as always.

Archived