IGNORED

no front brakes (03 K1200LT w/abs)

Ervin

Can anyone help me with my brake problem?

I have no front brake when I squeeze the brake handle when the bike is off when I turn no the ign the brakes work. Does someone know the right procedure for bleeding the front brake?

I think yours has the servo assisted power brakes?

So w/out key on very little braking available.

Key on, brakes.

If so, yours is working correctly.

Does all work well when bike is running down the road?

If no front then, you do have a problem.

Good luck.

Thank you for your help.

The problem I have is the before I tried to bleed them I had braking on the bike without the IGN being turned on. Do you know the procedure for bleeding the front brakes?

Again Thank you.

Ervin

The bleeding of the system is not straight forward. Most likely there is air in the system at some point. I think there is like 11 bleed points. There are those here that can help but a manual would also help you.

NCS

I agree the brakes are faint. So the way I understand this is with the IGN off I get no assist to the brake system. With the key on I get assist/servo braking.

Now for the purpose of bleeding the system with the key off. I squeeze the handle for the front brake and open the bleeder valve at the servo unit. Shut the valve and then release the hand brake lever. Repeat as needed. My question is this. There are two bleeder points a long one and a short one. Do I bleed one or both?

Here is an other link for the procedure to bleed the brakes.

In the Gunsmoke link, a vacuum device is shown.

My understanding is that you should not use such a device.

One tip I forgot to add was to place a clean utility knife blade in the master cylinder so it blocks the stream of brake fluid from jetting up when the brake lever is released.

When you are compleat with the bleed just extract the blade with a clean magnet.

Also you should bleed the clutch at the same time.

It's best if you remove the BMW check valve bleeder and install a standard bleed nipple in its place. (If not already replaced).

Sorry I don't know what size it is ( hopefully someone will chime in with the size).

What I do know is you need to heat up the threads as they are assembled with a thread locker. Just be careful that you don't over heat & melt the clutch hose..... DAMHIK :dopeslap:

Archived