IGNORED

Stripped Bolt - Opinion

jbh

I changed by alternator belt and to get the cover off I removed the right hand side shark fin (after I had removed the side panels.) I removed the shark fin a few days ago and rode the bike without the bolts and I noticed a small oil leak I assume from the bolts not being in (I did not realize they were necessary to seal the gasket). Now my real issue: when I retighted them I thought my haynes manual said 20nm so I guessed at the top one because the torque wrench would not fit. That one is fine now. The lower one I used the torque wrench and it stripped. I backed the screw out and I found abougt 2 complete turns of thread on the screws. I reinserted the screw and tightened as tight as possible with out stripping it worse, maybe 4nm???

Do you think I have anything to worry about? This is just one of several bolts that hold this gasket tight. I guess I can watch it to make sure there are no oil leaks in the future from this area.

Opinions please.

Thanks.

Clive Liddell

But don't forget it secures the shark fin and relevant tupperware. I hate unnecessary r&r of small bolts into aluminium and that's why I cut my plastic alternator cover in half. Now it's "easy" to remove - OK - "easier" than before smile.gif

You will probably see a little bit of seepage and if you don't mind that then otherwise you are probably OK. Personally I think I'd repair it with a helicoil though just for peace of mind.

Thanks for the replys. I washed the area off today and I will drive it a few times to see how much sepage there is. I took a 20 minute ride today and rode the engine hard and I think I see a little sepage but not enough to be concerned about. If after multiple rides it starts dripping I may have to do something about it.

Archived