IGNORED

GS911 question

Matts_12GS

I recently did a GSA tank conversion on my GS and while using the stock GS internals, my fuel computer on the bike is counting down in the teens like normal, but the gauge is showing somewhere around a quarter tank which is consistent with my calculations of where there range should be on that big tank.

Can the GS911 be used to recalculate the fuel strip for the big tank, it's the same part number for GSA and GS.

The GS911 will do a fuel strip calibration, although I guess there is a possibility it could get confused if you have the standard GS ECU and the GSA tank (meaning if the ECU is read first to get information for the calibration routine.) You could try asking on the GS911 forum as the developers frequent it and could probably provide an answer.

Afternoon MAtt

You should be able to recalibrate if you have GS-911 with version 1306 or later update.

You will have to remove the fuel strip from the tank & completely dry it first.

Then you need to plug it in but hang it outside the tank to recalibrate. (GS-911 should talk you through it)

I agree with Seth on contacting the GS-911 site as there could be some issues with the fuel quantity difference between the two tanks. Seems like it should work though as others have done it & had the dealer recalibrate without issue.

Thanks guys. Will check with Bernie and see what version it is on the one we bought in to and then check the forums. If I can make this gauge more accurate, I'll be a happier guy.

When I had the conversion done back in 2007 on my 2007 GSA I was told by the dealer (Ventura BMW) that the computer on my bike was looking for 5.5 gallon draw down with the fuel strip and therefore it was not programmed to recognize a 8+ gallon tank. I was told that the best thing would be to drive my odometer, which I have done since. Never had a problem doing that, but if I could get some accuracy out of the fuel gauge, that would be a plus. Something to do with the fact that there was a float system in the GSA that year and a fuel strip in the GS. They had to install the fuel strip into the GSA tank to get it to read at all. The strip reads the top 5.5 gallons of the tank, so its like having a 2+ gallon reserve, which certainly beats the opposite scenario.

Anyway- I will be following this R&D thread :lurk:

Heck,

that is exactly what I'm doing now, this is just the first tank I've run all the way out and I'm trying to figure out where the real panic point and natural behavior of the strip will be as I go forward.

Matt- With my tiny size and the way I load the bike, I try to limit myself to 250 miles between fillups. My mileage figures arent the best prolly due to that twitch in my throttle hand ;) and I normally put 5-6 gallons in. Sometimes less...mostly more. Mileage calcs run from 36-39 mpg normally. YMMV..(literally). I seem to remember that when I had the conversion done, I wanted to check range so I carried around a gallon of gas and ran it out at 385 miles or so, but am not interested in hiking for gas, so 250 seems like a good number. Computer runs to 0 range anywhere from 160-190 miles depending again on wind load...Also find that if I park the bike during the trip it seems to change the fuel level on the strip side of the tank to allow for a longer range, which again is why I drive the odometer...

Heck,

Being only slightly more petite than you and similarly unable to not pack the kitchen sink, I run right about 38-42mpg as well pretty much every tank.

I am currently sitting at about 280ish miles on the clock with 4 bars showing on the gauge.

I ride the odo and am religious about resetting it, but would like to know about where it'll run out so I can have a better sense of when to panic while riding in West TX.

Heck,

I run right about 38-42mpg as well pretty much every tank.

I am currently sitting at about 280ish miles on the clock with 4 bars showing on the gauge.

PM sent.

Archived