IGNORED

Difficult putting 03 RTon center stand

PAS

Ever since I bought my used 2003 RT (with 10K) I have a very hard time getting it on the center stand. Is this normal? Yesterday I helped a friend move his 99 RT and it went on the center stand with little effort.

Did they change something during that time period? I dam near pull a muscle in my back each time.

It's all about technique ;) !

I'll try and help you visualize (as I am doing!!)

With the bike in neutral, stand with your legs slightly apart, both legs of the center stand lightly on the floor (this shows the bike is centered.

With your right hand on the lift handle with handle against stop, left hand on the LH handlebar, concurrently put ALL your weight on the center stand and push down with your right leg while lifting the handle up briskly, leaning the mass of your body slightly toward the back of the bike.

We have a short 78 year old in our ride group who had great problems getting his 2003 RT on the stand. About 4 months ago, I showed him the technique and he now has zero problems. :thumbsup:

When the bike is on the center stand, one of the tires will be off the ground a bit. You could measure this distance from the ground and make sure that it is about the same as your friend's 99 RT. Perhaps something on your bike has been modified a bit (e.g. lowered suspension, modified center stand) that make you have to lift the bike more than normal.

It took me a while to get better at it. But once you have the technique down and it starts to feel right, it gets easier. One description that I found helpful was rather than trying to "lift" the bike with the handle, step hard on the center stand and try to spread the distance between your foot and your hand (on the handle). The point is that you are using your more powerful leg muscle to do more of the work. And I find that it takes a lot more effort if I do it too slowly. It works better for me if I give it a strong start and let the bike's momentum help get it the last bit of the way.

Like Caddis said,

Is one wheel off the ground, and if so, by how much. If the suspension has been lowered, the relevant wheel be further off the ground than an unmodified bike and this will make getting it on the centre stand much more difficult.

As Andy already said: Unless the bike has been lowered...it's just technique.

I used to have a K100RS over 20 years ago and had zero issues to get it on it's center stand, so when I got back into bikes and purchased my 2004RT, I was really surprised about the problems I was having.

Did the same..read up on all the suggestions and watched YouTube videos, which ended up luckily to be enough for me to correct my technique and resolve any issues.

Then a year ago changed to the lighter 1200RT, low and behold...same problem again. Different bike...different balance.

Again, minor correction in technique was all that was required.

In your case I would:

1) Read up and watch YouTube videos

2) If that does not resolve your problem, go to your BMW dealer and get them to check if the bike has been lowered, which will make it harder to get it up on the center stand...and if that is not the case, get them to show you the correct technique and have them observe you, while doing it yourself.

I would not feel embarrassed as they are there to support their customers with the products they sell.

It's in their interest to keep you happy and make you a returning customer.

Conclusion: It should not be that hard. It is not a physical strength or your size issue (unless you would be 4 foot tall and then I admit, you might have an issue).

I have had the bike 2 1/2 years and am well aware of the technique. I will try and get some measurements it may have been lowered in its early life! I also have an 81 R100RT.

Thanks

My bike has been lowered I believe 2 inches. It seems that the center stand has been shortened too but it scraps during turns. Having said that I would like to offer my personal experience.

I had to "learn" how to put my prior bike, a 2003 LT (or affectionately Light Truck) on the center stand. Being 860 pounds changes everything. I'm 6' 200# and not strong in any way.

So I started to follow what it was said above, with the difference of me stepping on the center stand with my left foot instead of the right, and trying to move my body a bit to the right. It was just a matter of finding the right balance. After a while the LT was going up and down let's say naturally. I was never able to take the monster out of the center stand sitting on the bike. And started to take her out of the stand in the same way, me on the side. I still do the same with my 2009 RT.

My $0.02

Taking the bike off the center stand is so scary that I sit on it and rock it forward so both feet can be on the ground. It's a long way up to get it on the stand.

I'm sure if I weighed 300 lbs it would be no problem...with the technique.

As Andy already said: Unless the bike has been lowered...it's just technique.

I used to have a K100RS over 20 years ago and had zero issues to get it on it's center stand, so when I got back into bikes and purchased my 2004RT, I was really surprised about the problems I was having.

Did the same..read up on all the suggestions and watched YouTube videos, which ended up luckily to be enough for me to correct my technique and resolve any issues.

Then a year ago changed to the lighter 1200RT, low and behold...same problem again. Different bike...different balance.

Again, minor correction in technique was all that was required.

In your case I would:

1) Read up and watch YouTube videos

2) If that does not resolve your problem, go to your BMW dealer and get them to check if the bike has been lowered, which will make it harder to get it up on the center stand...and if that is not the case, get them to show you the correct technique and have them observe you, while doing it yourself.

I would not feel embarrassed as they are there to support their customers with the products they sell.

It's in their interest to keep you happy and make you a returning customer.

Conclusion: It should not be that hard. It is not a physical strength or your size issue (unless you would be 4 foot tall and then I admit, you might have an issue).

Alfred, yes of course if the bike has been lowered it will be hard to put on the center stand. And I also agree with you on the proper technique. However, if those shocks and springs are somewhat collapsed it will be the same thing. As if the center stand it too long. A combination of lubed center stand pivots, technique and a center stand that is not too long.

So I wonder what the length of those shocks, front and back, should be? I think that may be the problem.

Dazz, Christmas Ale on the Lake! It gets almost amusing about all the technique suggestions. Been there done that! What most are missing is, The same technique was used on the 99 RT!

I have a '96 R1100RT and while I will not say it is easy to get on the centerstand I rarely have an issue and I do not have the lift handle by the seat. I have to use the top case rack and my left foot and simply heave in one motion, both putting my full weight on the centerstand (the short version by the way) and lifting the back with the rack while pulling the LH handlebar. Not always easy, and perhaps the centerstand needs lubrication as well, but it works.

That being said (nothing like another technique you weren't looking for :) ) I'd look at the differences between the two bikes as has been mentioned.

I struggled with my '04 until i got the technique down as described above. Centering the bike vertically so both legs of the stand are in contact with the ground and drive it up and back with the right leg while the right hand pulls it back as well

I admit that i have never mastered getting it off of the stand from along side, i always climb up on it and rock it down. One drop and one almost-drop cured me of trying it from the side. Otherwise i'll need a spotter.

Ken,

The trick is to turn the handlebars slightly right (front wheel pointing away from you) as you push it off. The bike then leans slightly against your right hip and so won't fall over :thumbsup: .

I demonstrated the above tip to the same 78yo who had trouble getting it on the stand.

I'll have to give that a try, but i'll still want a spotter for the first try.

You wouldn't believe the words that come out of my mouth when i drop the bike in the garage...

I'll have to give that a try, but i'll still want a spotter for the first try.

You wouldn't believe the words that come out of my mouth when i drop the bike in the garage...

Especially when its dropped into a car next to it...

Err!

Did my wife tell you about that :( !!!

Lesson number 1.

Don't try to take your bike off the stand (in the garage!!) with flip-flops on.

I did just that and my foot slipped in the flip-flops and the bike fell away from me and I just couldn't hold the bike up. So I watched in horror as Darth fell into Deb's Audi A4 and put a nice dent in the rear quarter panel.

I can't say I've ever had these problems with my R1100RT, perhaps there are slight differences? To get it onto the centre stand I kick the side-stand down, get off the bike whilst it's resting on the side stand and then with a foot on the stand extension and the right hand on the side handle, left hand on the handlebar grip I just put my weight on the stand extension and pull upwards and backwards on the handle and that's it. To get it off the stand I just sit on the bike and push forward! I'm only 5ft 9ins. with 29in. inside leg and 12 stone by the way. What I very rarely do is stand beside the bike and push it off the centre stand, now that does feel verrry dodgy!

Dave.

I just sit on the bike, both feet down and both hands on the grips and push forwards with my feet Andy! If this doesn't work on the 1150's there must be some differences I suppose.

To get it off the stand I just sit on the bike and push forward! I'm only 5ft 9ins. with 29in. inside leg and 12 stone by the way.

With the bike on the center stand, how do you "push forward"? Do your feet actually reach the ground?

If I sit on my bike while it is on the center stand, my legs are too short to reach the ground, and are dangling in space. I have tried sliding over to one side so that one foot reached the ground, but I can't get much traction, and that feels "dodgy" to me. I suppose I could rock the bike forward without touching the ground, but that doesn't seem right, either.

So I stand next to the bike and use the "point the front wheel away from you" method. And I usually try to have Eileen as a spotter in case something goes wrong.

[Edit] We used to have an 1100RT, and the issue was exactly the same. I have a Sargent low seat, and even that isn't enough to let me touch the ground when the bike is on the center stand. I also have about a 29" inseam (maybe just a little less).

I don't know why that is Caddis,sitting on the seat I can keep at least the ball of each foot on the ground, and I have about 8mm of spacers under the front of the seat to help prevent me sliding forward!

Wish it was that simple.

Caddis has given you good advice. Tile the bike to the rear and measure the front wheel's air gap to the ground. Compare that to your friend's bike. But beyond the possibility of a slightly lowered bike, the fact is that all BMW centerstands are not created equal.

I broke the foot tab on my first RT's centerstand. It was always hard to lift (part of the reason why I ended up breaking the foot tab), and it didn't go "over center" by very much. So I had to be careful how I parked it. Absolutely level or rearward tilt only.

When I got the new centerstand installed, the change was dramatic. It was so much easier to get it up onto the stand and it went over center comfortably and securely. I asked the Service Manager about this and he said that things like centerstands are outsourced by BMW to several different vendors. And while they all have the specs, and may even have factory jigs, given that the centerstand operates off a fulcrum, just a minute difference in the stopping point at the fulcrum can make a noticeable difference in whether the stand remains more vertical or goes over center a bit more. Additionally, not all centerstand feet are identical. Some are a bit more rounded, and thus easier to use.

My '96 RT was very easy to put up on the center stand, but when I bought my FJR it was a completely different story. The FJR is not balanced like the RT or GS. When on the center stand so much of the bike's weight is on the front tire that I have to use a jack to lift the front tire off the ground.

For a time I would drive the rear tire onto a 3/4" board. The little extra height made it less difficult since I did not have to lift as far to get it to pop up onto the stand. I experimented with different board heights, but this was a pain since I'd have to ride into the garage, get off, place the board under the tire, get back on and ride up, but not too far. Obviously I only did this at home. When away the side stand was all I would use.

Looking for a better way, I decided I needed more leverage so I came up with the idea of adding a piece of pipe to the foot tab. Bingo! The bike pops up ith ease. I posted this on an FJR site (where they do not subscribe to the Mr. Rodgers manner of dealing with people) and I was pounced on for not knowing what I was doing, not using the right technique, and on and on. it would seem that even their arthritic 90 lb granny could pop it right up even when it was on a steep downward hill.

I could've cared less. It worked for me, but I decided to look more closely at my particular technique. It turns out that since we are all physically somewhat different the same thing will not work for everyone. I have arthritis that affects my range of motion. When looked closely I saw that I was not able to put my right arm into the ideal lift position, and once the lift started I reached the limit of my ability to lift before the critical 'pop up' point. My knee replacement also played a roll.

The point isn't to tell you what a physical wreck I am, but rather to point out that you may not be able to do things in the same way as others. Anyway...this long story come to a conclusion with a short video of my solution. You'll have to investigate and experiment to see if something like this will work for you.

video - My skinny legs and flip flops are there for your amusement.

My intentions were to take the bike back out of storage today and take some measurements while on a flat hard surface while on the center stand, BUT, winter has arrived and the snow if building up.

My main thoughts are, when the bike is up and the wheels are suspended, the distance to the ground should be pretty much the same for the majority of bikes of the same vintage. The only difference would be the length of the rear shock,the center stand and the height of the brand of tires installed.

Where as when the bike is setting on the suspension the height would depend on the preload of the shocks, shock length and tires. That is the distance that has to be over come to get it up on the stand. Of course shocks that are sacked out would be a major battle.

Thanks for all the comments. Until we get a warm spell the mystery will remain. The 99 RT has a different centerstand (part number)

Archived