IGNORED

Front Seat Issues

cali_beemer

First off let me say that my 2008 R1200RT was bought used with a factory low seat, not the standard seat. That being said I am a big guy 6' tall 300lbs and I don't need a factory low seat...lol. However what I have noticed lately is that eventhough I keep the seat in the high position, the two rubber bump stops seems to want to slide down into the lower level rests. Not sure if this means my seat pan is cracked or what...I don't notice anything out of the ordinary and even the rubber bumpers seem okay...It will stay in place until I start riding and then it wedges down. Anyone else have this issue?

First off let me say that my 2008 R1200RT was bought used with a factory low seat, not the standard seat. That being said I am a big guy 6' tall 300lbs and I don't need a factory low seat...lol. However what I have noticed lately is that eventhough I keep the seat in the high position, the two rubber bump stops seems to want to slide down into the lower level rests. Not sure if this means my seat pan is cracked or what...I don't notice anything out of the ordinary and even the rubber bumpers seem okay...It will stay in place until I start riding and then it wedges down. Anyone else have this issue?

Yup, happened to me too. I have the standard seat. I am 6'5 and north of 300…What happens is that the rubber bushings that engage the seat in the front by the gas tank compress and the bushings in the back of the seat slide into the perches for the low seat setting. A chap on this board had the same problem and used delrin to block the lower perch so even if the seat slides forward, the back can't go down a notch. He even sent them to me free as he bought a foot of delrin rod and only needed a couple inches. This bike wasn't designed with big people in mind and we have experienced a result of that. You really should get the standard seat. I can't imagine riding on that. It looks like a plank and would be way too low to get my feet on the pegs.

Good idea on the delrin block. I have access to CNC machines at work so maybe I will design something up and make them. Glad to hear I am not the only one.

Archived