IGNORED

Oil Cooler Screen/Protector?

rickmoen

Has anyone seen a decent looking oil cooler screen/protector for a 1200RT ('05, if that matters)? Color matching would be nice, of course.

Thanks to all.

HOw do you keep this clean and assure the airflow needed for the oilcooler?

Seems like a finer mesh would clog fast with insects etc. and if you cannot clean from behind what do you do. also it is semi-permanently in place if you "glue" it with the sticky tape.

Considering this solution but afraid of drawbacks.

I use a piece of cut window screen, bought on the cheap in bulk from my local hardware joint. I cut it to fit and then slide it in from the bottom/rear of the cooler and up the front and then over the top to the rear. properly cut, there will be nothing hanging over the rear edge of your oil cooler. With minimal manipulation you can shape it to fit after you slide it in there and I use nothing to secure it, it sits in there quite well. It catches the bugs well but I imagine it won't be worth squat if I catch a rock up in there. I have not field tested it in high bug season or hot season yet but I plan on carrying several precut sections as it takes up no space and essentially has no weight. YMMV..yada, yada, yada.

pic at: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~coudekerk

Archived