IGNORED

Cruise Control Switch Back Ordered

Nathan Margolis

Nathan Margolis

I have a '13 RT and like so many others, crusie control has quitt, and making the assumption it is the switch. Dealer tells me it is on back order and no expected date is known.

Have other heard this?

Thank you,

Nathan

Very common. I've had every handlebar switch replaced, twice for the cruise control. Took three weeks for the last cruise control switch to arrive.

The LH switch gear went out about 5 times on my 2010 RT. My cruise control wouldn't totally work for 3 years. The original service manager didn't want to order any parts until he checked my bike. It took all I had not to say "you gotta be kidding!?!?". He told me it could be a number of things wrong. I did tell him that it was a known problem. He no longer works at the dealer (a good thing) and did I say that it was a 530 mile round trip for me.

I need to say that the next 2 SM (last one is the owner!) order the parts before I ride up for service. I really appreciate that.

Insist on good, prompt service. And shame on BMW for never fixing the lousy switch gear.

My blog: www.airheadmoto.com

Hi Nathan.

The delay is caused by the fact BMW has finally changed handlebar switch supplier and (presumably) design.

The issues you speak of have plagued all Camhead models with the "new style" switches and also early Waterhead GS's. The worst that can happen is malfunction in the R/H switch will cause the bike not to start after being parked in direct sunlight.

BMW has literally hundreds of switches on back order from the new supplier for warranty jobs, plus orders for all the new bikes they are building: situation should (hopefully) normalize around January.

Hope this helped you out.

Left switch fails anyone of the buttons. Mostly the Cruise Control but some had the windshield fail. The other switch block usually fails the start button. Failure can happen without any notice. Works one day and not the next day.

Just replaced my cruise control switch for the third time in 2.5 years; all under warranty. Resume won't work this time.

FYI: If/when the starter switch doesn't work, cool it off with a bag of ice. Fault usually caused by heat after setting in the sun.

My left switch went bad for the 2nd time with the same fault, cruise reset fail and at times the L/R indicator was difficult to set and feel if it was set.

The BMW shop got the info from the importer to replace both L and R switch controls with an updated construction.

This as part of an extented warranty.

The new controls has a much more distinct feel and there is no doubt you feel the controls, i.e. cruise or indicators, do engage.

Then we have to see if the new controls also works in the long run...

// Taurus

DaveTheAffable
FYI: If/when the starter switch doesn't work, cool it off with a bag of ice. Fault usually caused by heat after setting in the sun.

My start switch wouldn't work most mornings... in a cold garage... @ 3:00am. :dopeslap:

I rocked it back and forth, and pressed REAL hard and saved myself until I got it replaced under warranty.

The one thing NOT in contention here is... they're crappy switches, and BMW knew it/knows it.

What do you mean "extended warranty"?

tsp

My left switch went bad for the 2nd time with the same fault, cruise reset fail and at times the L/R indicator was difficult to set and feel if it was set.

The BMW shop got the info from the importer to replace both L and R switch controls with an updated construction.

This as part of an extented warranty.

The new controls has a much more distinct feel and there is no doubt you feel the controls, i.e. cruise or indicators, do engage.

Then we have to see if the new controls also works in the long run...

// Taurus

Hi tsp,

Here in Sweden the warranty is 2 yrs.

In this case the importer lets faulty switches be replaced with the new (better) parts after the 2 yr warranty has expired.

// Taurus

so does anyone know if the 2013's have the old switches or the "upgraded" new ones?

Take this at face value, but most of the 2013 production (at very least until June) is still equipped with the old switches.

so does anyone know if the 2013's have the old switches or the "upgraded" new ones?

The 2013 model year is an extension of the 2012.

No major changes and probably not many minor ones either since BMW was putting their efforts on the new release of the 2014.

• 8 months later...

I have a new GS, one month old and the Resume side of my switch doesn't work. I had the same problem with my '11 RT about the time they switched vendors. I can't believe they haven't fixed this.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a 2010 RT and both the radio wonder wheel and the ESA button (preload) do not work. My bike just ran out of original warranty.

Does anyone know if BMW is extending the warranty on the switches? I have a service appointment in 2 weeks to diagnose the problems.

Thanks.

I just picked up a 2010 RT and both the radio wonder wheel and the ESA button (preload) do not work. My bike just ran out of original warranty.

Does anyone know if BMW is extending the warranty on the switches? I have a service appointment in 2 weeks to diagnose the problems.

Thanks.

It is a well-known problem (dealers know about it) -- ask (insist) on it being replaced.

The original switches were a new-for-BMW technology -- metal traces applied directly to the plastic switch housings (several advantages, but a big potential problem). The problem was that when they got hot, the plastic expanded more than the metal, so the metal traces broke. Sometimes cooling the switch cluster would shrink/restore contact, but it was only a matter of time before the cluster was DOA.

The fix was to go back to the traditional metal-traces-on-a-separate-sheet wiring. End of problem. As I understand it, it was a mid-2013 change (Nov '12? Dec? Jan '13? Feb? don't know).

I would ask whether your switch was one of the directly-applied trace switch clusters (and if told no, ask to see it to verify), and then "I thought BMW was replacing these bad-design switches when they fail."

Archived