IGNORED

HID headlight, any experience?

David Adams

Bought a 2010 GS that had an HID light already on it. Much of the time it doesn't work, which stinks when I get off work after dark. Any ideas what's going on? I wonder about the ballast working in cooler temperatures and if that is all that's going on with it. Love the light it puts out, but not worth much if it ain't working.

David

The ballast and bulbs have a service life. It usually exceeds the service life of a halogen bulb. Some of the conversion kits are cheaply made which can contribute to their failure. I liked the light so much that I just replaced the bulb and balast when it started to fail.

hard to say......it could be a crappy kit, or something as simple as hitting your starter too quickly after turning the key on. I know with mine, I need to wait till the bike goes through all of its little clicks, beeps, and checks before I hit the starter. If I turn the key on and hit it right away, the headlamp will occationally not fire. This also happened with the standard stock halogens, so I can't blame the HID. I blame the crappy battery the previous owner installed. I think the voltage dips at turn on, and it definitely does at start up. I think it makes thinks a little wonky from time to time. One of these days I'll toss a new Oddyssey in there, but not today

Do you happen to know where a new ballast can be purchased. I was told that the manufacturer of this particular one is now out of business. If another ballast from another company is available, I'd love to order one. Or are you aware of an LED option that might be as bright as the HiD? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I'd convert the headlight back to factory original and install a set of aftermarket HID's. In this way you will have the ability to buy a replacement light bulb on the road for the original and have the HID's providing additional light when needed. HID service on the road is going to be tough, if they quit working you are sunk.

I run the factory headlight and the two small adventurer lights in the daytime and then a set of Feugo 4" HID's at night when there isn't other traffic. Unless of course you piss me off and then I turn on the HID's, you will know I am there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Really late reply, but I've seen several problems with HID lights in newer BMW's.

If it works sometimes, i think it could be one of two things.

1, the already mentioned waiting a few more seconds before starting,

And the most likely, the absense of a Canbus relay that I would bet is the problem.

To work reliably with the Canbus wiring system an HID kit needs this "helper" or relay to get along.

It's a small inline box sometimes labeled Canbus, sometimes not.

Also, your ballast needs to be 35w not the popular 50w that cars use.

Not too many companies know about the need of a Canbus helper or the 35 watt ballast so they will sell you anything.

I'm sure there are several brands that sell the correct HID, but the brand that also uses a decent diameter wire and a reliable kit is available from www.yanishiki.com. Out of Florida.

They will also have a couple options of color temp (Kelvin) this isn't brightness or output, but color temp. Very popular is 6000, my choice, it's slightly blue so noticeable daytime to cars I think. 5000 is very close to white, and 8000 would match your lowered Honda car with the thumpy stereo.

Normally, 1 HID on the lo beam is plenty on a GS as it will be so much brighter than the hi beam.

But, as long as everyone understands if you put the 2nd one in when you hit the hi beam, it will still take some seconds to fire up and get full bright.

Also, correct headlight adjustment will be important to insure you're getting the most out of your HID and not blinding oncoming traffic.

David Adams

Thanks for your message. I have not changed the light out yet as I like the light output ...... when it is working. But the frustration of getting frequent lampf error codes remains. I did purchase a bulb from a gentleman at BestRest products, who was extremely nice and helpful. But my laziness has not let me switch it out. Also I spoke to several people at DDM Tuning about their HID kits. They also suggested a type of relay to go with the kit. I am coming up on my next service on the bike and will do something about the light then. For now I just ride when weather is acceptable. The thought that has stuck in my mind is that someone told me that HID's are illegal , which leaves me feeling I should switch to a regular bulb for sure, and then add some type of LED's or other type of light down low on the front.

• 3 months later...

I picked up an LED headlight bulb from ADV Monster. Works like a champ. $40 and just plugs in. No ballast or nothin'!

The odd design of LED replacement bulbs and typically lower power has kept me away from them. Would love to see some direct pattern comparison out of a GS or RT reflector.

I use 35W DDM kits in 5 BMWs ranging from an R1100S to RT to GT to F800GTs. All work well.

Because ballasts and bulbs are generally interchangeable from different makers, I always use 4300K (stock HID color temp) bulbs made either with genuine Philps tubes or sourced from one of the Japanese OEM supplies.

Bulb life is typically speced at about 2000 hours or 4X a std halogen bulb- but as always, life on bikes varies. Not had any premature failures myself but thy do happen.

Bulbs are so cheap carrying a spare these days is no big deal if you're worried. Plus you can always remove the HID bulb and just plug a normal H-7 back in if you're on the road with a dead HID. The "spare issue" is a red herring.

Even ballasts are so small you can carry a spare if you wish.

I don't use HIDs for high beams- they do not like the constant dimming needed in the east. It will shorten life.

Too blue is a very bad idea in populated areas. Too much sign glare and too much glare in fog and rain. There is a reason stock bulbs are 4300 and its not because they can't make them different. In fact, I still prefer halogens at their much lower color temp (3000ish or a bit more) for long range driving lights in the east. That color temp allows better depth and color perception when attempting to spot deer on a green treeline because of the way the human eye works. Easily demoed for yourself by taking a couple lights of different color temp but same lumen output to a treeline near you. Again, if I lived out west my choice might be different.

When bikes have low electrical capacity (eg BMWs F twins at 400W or less) I go all LED for accessory lights and an HID low beam and usually a 65W Osram H-7 hi beam (40% more light than a stock H-7). Several times the stock lumen output at only a few more watts.

I put LED headlight bulbs on my 05 GS and I love the light. I had had HIDs and they eventually broke down and died after 5 years

Archived