IGNORED

XM Antenna

ChuckS

I took the small metal plate the puck sits on off the Garmin plastic marine mount, and screwed it to an aftermarket R1150RT dash shelf. Puck sticks to the plate.

I took the small metal plate the puck sits on off the Garmin plastic marine mount, and screwed it to an aftermarket R1150RT dash shelf. Puck sticks to the plate.

Any issues with retention of the antenna with this method? I tried the magnetic route as well and was not pleased. At a minimum, I think it needs the lip that the marine mount provides to keep it from sliding upon acceleration/deceleration.

That said, the GXM30 works fine in a magnetic fashion on my truck.

Passmore: I have noticed that the puck moves about 1/4 inch every hundred miles or so. I just reach up and move it back. If it gets annoying I may just drill two holes in the shelf and run some machine screws from underneath the shelf into two of the screw holes on the bottom of the puck that hold it together.

I had a hard time with that too. I will be trying out my fix tomorrow. I found it difficult to velcro the whole thing to the farkle bar shelf and still have the portability I wanted. When I took off the antenna from the farkle thing the velcro came off of the antenna too. This sounds crazy but I cut the bottom off a can of bush's baked beans and it fits the antenna like a charm. The can bottom holds the antenna like a little cup. I will velcro the can bottom and attach tommorow for a test drive. I will post pics if it works. I would have tested today but I wanted to paint the can bottom black. I'll let you know. Scott

I went to Home Depot and bought a bracket used to tie together 2x4's in framing a house -- just a piece of sheet metal about 2x6". Drilled a couple extra holes, bent it in the middle, rounded of some corners with a grinder, and away we go.

Question: I didn't really want to be carrying 20' of extra antenna cord all wadded up, so I tried to cut it down to 6" and splice it. Found out it's a very thin coax. My splice job didn't work (no signal) so I've got to buy a new antenna. Did I just do it wrong, or is it impossible to do?

I went to Home Depot and bought a bracket used to tie together 2x4's in framing a house -- just a piece of sheet metal about 2x6". Drilled a couple extra holes, bent it in the middle, rounded of some corners with a grinder, and away we go.

Question: I didn't really want to be carrying 20' of extra antenna cord all wadded up, so I tried to cut it down to 6" and splice it. Found out it's a very thin coax. My splice job didn't work (no signal) so I've got to buy a new antenna. Did I just do it wrong, or is it impossible to do?

Photos of the mount?

On the splicing... I have mine bundled right now with zip ties but I woul dprefer a shorter cord as well.

I took mine apart just now and it look like the ticket would be to cut the cord and reconnect the ends to the (white) connector inside the antenna.

53655775-M.jpg

Soldering/splicing teeny wires is not my forte so I may run mine over to a buddy who is proficient and see what he makes of it...

Archived