IGNORED

Engine Running Rough - Any Ideas??

Michael B

Just got my 30,000 maintenance completed on my 2011 R1200 RT at purchase dealership.

As I left, I noticed the engine seemed to be running rough and a small loss in power. Probably should have turned around but thought it was just me being a typical anal rider. Drove the 111 miles home. The way the engine runs reminds me of the old pre-computer car days when I would forget to reattach a vacuum hose. I know the throttle bodies were balanced.

Any ideas of what it could be? Thanks for the help!

Michael B

Afternoon Michael

Way too many possibilities to cover them all here.

Anything from somewhat normal due to the BMS-K being cleared then having to relearn the fueling offset, to a tight valve, to a coil wire left disconnected, to a damaged coil from heavy hands removing the wire pig tail or coil from a plug, to a cracked spark plug, to improper TB balance, to an engine sensor wire left disconnected, to a number of other oddball possibilities.

Give the dealer a call & have them advise you on what to do next. If it is fact running worse than when you took it in then that is dealer issue to sort out as a bike should NEVER leave a shop running worse than when it went in (never).

Without a GS-911 it will be difficult to tell what you have unless you go over ALL the work the dealer tec did & re-check all his/her work.

Maybe a quick check to see if all 4 coils have the wire pig tails connected & quick look/check to see if the TB's hit their wide open stops at about the same time.

The other possibility is that you bought some bad gasoline on the trip to or from the dealer but you would think if it was on your way TO the dealer they should have caught that during their EXPENSIVE service.

Thanks guys, for your suggestions. In trying to find a problem, I took all of the tupperware off and checked everything I could see, especially around the throttle bodies. All connections solid. Today I called the dealer mechanic and asked what he did to my engine for the 30K maintenance. He said only the TB sync., nothing else. He said the TB gauge might have been out of calibration since others in the shop use it too.

So, DR especially, could an off TB sync cause this rough running? Would it cause any engine damage if not re-synced till the 36K maintenance?

Also, very sad news: The Hillard, OH BMW dealership, where I bought my RT, is closing. Another preciously small BMW dealer network member bites the dust with too many jobs lost. Double crap!!

clip--

So, DR especially, could an off TB sync cause this rough running? Would it cause any engine damage if not re-synced till the 36K maintenance?

Morning Michael

Depending on how far off it is it could cause some rough running but as long as the TB's are hitting their idle stops the stepper motors should even up the idle up & give a decent idle quality.

If that shop can't trust their equipment, then makes LAME excuses about their work, personally I wouldn't trust anything they did. The tec should have rechecked his equipment calibration before using.

If your bike isn't running correctly get your money back or file a claim against the shop. Then find another shop TO DO IT RIGHT!

Your issue MIGHT be as simple as a botched TB balance (doubtful) or something else.

You don't want to ride that bike very far until you know (FOR SURE) WHAT is wrong with it.

Personally, I would call the owner of the shop & have a heart to heart with the owner.

Also, very sad news: The Hillard, OH BMW dealership, where I bought my RT, is closing. Another preciously small BMW dealer network member bites the dust with too many jobs lost. Double crap!!

Bummer. Motohio is much closer to me, but the folks at Ohio Motorcycle always seemed very friendly and helpful. They were the only dealer I've found that nearly insisted I demo a bike or two...

Archived