IGNORED

K1200GT Question

bmwmotorcyclewarrior

bmwmotorcyclewarrior

Did I read that right that the new GT will have a wet clutch? Is that the same type of clutch that you can slip like on the Japanese bikes? I hope thats not true because if it is Im going to spending money that I hadn't planned on!

It is indeed a wet clutch. (151 mm, multi-disc oil bath)

Other things the new GT fixes over the old model:

1. Full size system cases

2. 6.3 gallon fuel tank

3. Quicker steering (based on the KS reports)

4. 40 Pounds lighter

5. Adjustable handle bars

I have depost on one, but I am also taking a hard look at the '06 FJR and actually leaning in that direction. I'll look forward to the first round of KGT road test reports that should be out soon.

I need a machine that I can happily live with for the next 100K miles and my current GT isn't working out to be the machine I hoped for.

Maybe I should make an offer on Maynard and see how he does over the next 100K. Jamie? tongue.gif

Yes, the new model K Bikes have a wet clutch that sits in the same oil that the engine uses, just like the Japanese bikes.

That being said, I know when synthetic oils first came out years ago there was concern that using synthetics might make the clutch slip excessively, but I don't know if that is still the case today.

Yes, the new model K Bikes have a wet clutch that sits in the same oil that the engine uses, just like the Japanese bikes.

That being said, I know when synthetic oils first came out years ago there was concern that using synthetics might make the clutch slip excessively, but I don't know if that is still the case today.

I think that's still true. I'd be sure I chose a synthetic that's for motorcycles without friction modifiers for that very reason.

ShovelStrokeEd

?? for original poster. Why do you think you will spend more money with a wet clutch than a dry one? Most wet clutches are quite durable and will accept a degree of slipping that would toast a dry clutch in minutes, if not seconds.

FWIW, most of that stuff about synthetic oils causing clutch slip on wet clutch bikes is a result of some pretty old data. It did used to happen but not so much anymore.

My '01 Blackbird has a similar power to weight ratio to the new KGT and I used Motul 20w50 full synthetic in it with no problems and yes, it has seen full throttle and maximum torque in top gear. Now, this is a motorcycle specific oil. I wouldn't be too sure about automotive oils.

I can state that shifting is much improved over the 10w40 Honda oil it had in there previously, most likely due to the higher viscosity although some could be related to the fact I changed the chain at the same time. I elected to use the synthetic over the dino oil recommended by Honda because the bike tends to run a bit on the hot side, mostly because of a small coolant capacity of ca. 1 gallon. It will run around 190F on an 80 degree day at 75-80 mph and a stop at a red light can take the coolant temperature to 215 or so before the fans kick on and hold it there.

bmwmotorcyclewarrior

Sorry I wasn't clear on my remark. When I bought my 04 1150rt last year I said to myself I wish BMW would make a motorcycle with the K engine on the rt frame. In addition, I miss the wet clutch since Im a former motor cop and learned how to ride slipping the clutch. So my comment on spending more money ment that Im now going to be forced to buy a new motorcycle this year:) Because the KGT appears to be the perfect motorcycle for me anyways.

Archived