IGNORED

K1200GT or K1300GT Clutch Life?

BrianT

Just curious to see what kind of clutch life people got out of the 06-08 K12GT or the K13GT? At 55K miles dealer is telling me that I'm almost down to the metal on the clutch and that 55K is normal life. Funny thing is I've had no signs or symptoms of the clutch going and most of my miles are freeway miles. Is 55K par for the course?

Reported clutch life has been all over the place with these bikes, they make a lot of power and the clutch design isn't all that, err, robust. Your experience is not unknown although more go to high miles than see a short life, and the latter is usually the result of hard use. From the tone of your post I'd gather that your riding style is not abusive though, and 55k for a bike with mostly freeway use does sound low. You didn't mention, are you experiencing running problems or did the dealer announce this out of the blue? If you are experiencing a problem what are the symptoms? If it is just noise (especially a chirp at engagement while pulling away from a stop) that is not uncommon and not necessarily indicative of a problem. If you are experiencing classic signs of a clutch failure (engine rpms running away under hard throttle or high-torque conditions) then you may indeed have a worn clutch.

Johnny Jetson

I just took my 07 into the dealer today (30Kmiles). Clutch isn't disengaging fully -- pulls slightly forward at stop and doesn't want to go into neutral. Hoping it's just adjustment issue.

JB

I just took my 07 into the dealer today (30Kmiles). Clutch isn't disengaging fully -- pulls slightly forward at stop and doesn't want to go into neutral. Hoping it's just adjustment issue.

Could be something simple, could be a worn clutch basket. Hope that it is not the latter.

Johnny Jetson

I bought it 2 mos ago at 26K miles, so don't really know the history. I put a 2yr unlimited mileage warranty on it, so presumably if it's the basket it shouldn't cost me any more.

Guess we'll see in a day or two when they crack the case on it and have a look.

Reported clutch life has been all over the place with these bikes, they make a lot of power and the clutch design isn't all that, err, robust. Your experience is not unknown although more go to high miles than see a short life, and the latter is usually the result of hard use. From the tone of your post I'd gather that your riding style is not abusive though, and 55k for a bike with mostly freeway use does sound low. You didn't mention, are you experiencing running problems or did the dealer announce this out of the blue? If you are experiencing a problem what are the symptoms? If it is just noise (especially a chirp at engagement while pulling away from a stop) that is not uncommon and not necessarily indicative of a problem. If you are experiencing classic signs of a clutch failure (engine rpms running away under hard throttle or high-torque conditions) then you may indeed have a worn clutch.
No issues at all with the bike, which is why it surprised me. Was in for routine maintenance and they said the mechanic noticed clutch "chatter" so he checked it. It's always made the chirp noise from stop since I bought it in 07 new so nothing new to indicate a clutch issue. This is the same place that has always worked on the bike from day one so I have no reason to think they're scamming me. I definitely don't abuse or race the bike, but I don't baby it either. Just trying to see if this sounded normal or a sign of more issues to come.

I bought it 2 mos ago at 26K miles, so don't really know the history. I put a 2yr unlimited mileage warranty on it, so presumably if it's the basket it shouldn't cost me any more.

Guess we'll see in a day or two when they crack the case on it and have a look.

Depending on the warranty, hopefully they don't try to pull the old "we don't warranty wear items" attitude.
No issues at all with the bike, which is why it surprised me. Was in for routine maintenance and they said the mechanic noticed clutch "chatter" so he checked it.

Do you know how he knows how much clutch lining is left? I'm not sure how you'd know that without a fair amount of disassembly. If he is assuming that you need a new clutch from the chatter alone (and I'm guessing that it can't be too bad if you haven't noticed it) then I'm not sure that diagnosis is particularly valid, unless there's more to the story.

Do you know how he knows how much clutch lining is left? I'm not sure how you'd know that without a fair amount of disassembly. If he is assuming that you need a new clutch from the chatter alone (and I'm guessing that it can't be too bad if you haven't noticed it) then I'm not sure that diagnosis is particularly valid, unless there's more to the story.

Said the chatter was what clued him in to checking it. By the description he gave me of "almost down to the metal" it sounded like he opened it up. It was in for the big service/routine valve check so there was already a lot of disassembly going on unrelated to the clutch.

Which is where they should have stopped and brought you in.

If they had in fact done the labor to get that far, not much more to do the clutch, IMO, compared to telling you after the fact.

Since that type of service is an all day service I left the bike at the dealer so they called me with the info about the clutch. They said the labor is less than $200 of the $1,800 for the clutch so that might be factoring in the bike already being disassembled for the valve check. I'll know more tomorrow when I pick up the bike. They didn't have all the parts for the clutch replacement so it had to stay until Tues when the parts should hopefully come in.

The thing is... the only way to see the clutch is to remove the clutch cover, and that isn't removed for the valve check. And for that cost it seems like they are replacing the clutch basket as well. I'd ask about that, as in is there a problem with it or do they just like to replace it to do a 'complete' job (at your expense.) If just the plates are worn out then Barnett makes a replacement set for about $200. Add that to $200 labor and it's a lot less expensive way to go (unless the clutch basket really is beyond re-use.)

Dennis Andress

Morning Brian :wave:

Taking the right engine cover off is no big deal. But, there is some cost involved: a new gasket and I believe some of the screws are one time use only. I would have expected a phone call before he took the cover off.

You're going to need a clutch sooner or later anyway, so why not? I'd drop by to take a look and make sure everything on the $1,800 list is needed. If the clutch basket doesn't look too worn, go for the Barnett clutch plates.

There is a jump guard recall on the 1200's. you can have them check the clutch then and also adjust the oil pump chain. That is where most of the first gear fiction zone issues arise from.

Yea I think he wanted to replace everything because the clutch basket was the part he didn't have in stock. I knew about the timing chain jump guard which they are already doing with the valve check. He said all that was worn was the clutch plate but that they only replace the whole thing as a set. Interesting that the clutch plate itself was not an option and not offered to me. And Dennis, there was no call to me before taking the cover off. The service manager is new to me and I wonder if he's doing things differently than the previous service manager who always took good care of my bike.

He said all that was worn was the clutch plate but that they only replace the whole thing as a set.

Bzzzt. Wrong answer. Many dealers have this policy but it can result in a huge unnecessary expense (not their problem, they are not paying for it!) If the clutch basket is OK then you only need to replace the clutch plates. No doubt they will try to convince you otherwise if you object but the only (real) reason may be that BMW only sells the parts as a set. Some dealers are happy to install the Barnett plates which are a very good product, probably at least as good as BMW OEM (or maybe better as per your experience ;) ) and you might want to take your business to one of them.

He said all that was worn was the clutch plate but that they only replace the whole thing as a set.

Bzzzt. Wrong answer. Many dealers have this policy but it can result in a huge unnecessary expense (not their problem, they are not paying for it!) If the clutch basket is OK then you only need to replace the clutch plates. No doubt they will try to convince you otherwise if you object but the only (real) reason may be that BMW only sells the parts as a set. Some dealers are happy to install the Barnett plates which are a very good product, probably at least as good as BMW OEM (or maybe better as per your experience ;) ) and you might want to take your business to one of them.

Yea, I'm getting the feeling my long time relationship with this dealership is coming to an end. The service manager and all the empolyees at the service counter have been replaced and there appears to be a new attitude/direction for the staff. Nickel and dime/recommend replacing every possible thing they can to up your bill. They replaced my radiator cap, without asking me, saying it was leaking. Funny there were no leaks before I brought it to them. Did a valve adjustment after the valve check, but couldn't tell me how many valves were adjusted to justify their additional labor charge for the adjustment. Tried to tell me I needed to flush and replace my brake fluid because their records showed I hadn't done it since 1/07. That's funny because I bought the bike new from them in 4/07 so it would've been physically impossible for me to do service on the bike before I owned it. Not to mention I've had the brake pads replaced by them, fluid replaced on schedule by them and brake line recall with fluid replaced by them since day one. Then as a last ditch effort since he couldn't upsell me on anything else, he tried to tell me I'd need tires soon. No dice, they're not even close to the wear bars. I've purchased two bikes from this dealership and exclusively used them for service for the past 9 years and sporadically for years before that. Not to mention the thousands of dollars I've spent at their parts counter over the years. It's not my loss, it's theirs.
Dennis Andress

(Busy week...)

Okay, the right cover would have come off to put the cam chain guide in place. That was probably the keys to the kingdom so to speak. Even at that, a phone call about the clutch before taking it apart to inspect would have been appropriate.

I'll say that the service dept. at BMW Motorcycles of Ventura County have been pretty upstanding. Even big jobs, like replacing Laney's engine last year, have been rather painless. They're in Newburry Park, just before the big hill to Camarillo. At bit of a trip for ya'll, but Laney and I would love a visit...

Dennis

• 2 months later...

This is good discussion but also remember that there have been reported cases of some pretty severe damage to those clutch baskets. Take a look at yours before drawing any conclusions.

But you're surely right to be cautious in dealing with the new guys if they can't even understand their own computer records and get dates wrong for any reason.

You do have to pull those 1 time bolts any time you go into the chain area on that side. A bit over $70 the set just to get a look- plus whatever you do next..

My 06 still has its original clutch bits but also a bit miles than yours. I also do mostly highway (2 or 4 lane) riding.

• 1 month later...

I went through the clutch pain a few months ago (07 GT 47k miles).

I owned the bike from 10K and it was never right. A few trips to the dealer and I gave up even though I heard there was a silent recall on the 1200's

At 47K the clutch was DONE. The dealer wanted close to $3000 to replace it, so I went aftermarket.I found a local shop that would do the work, so I assembled the parts, Barnett clutch, used basket and drum from a K1300 ( they have the updated components).

The job ended up costing me about $1100 with the oil change and the bike is now a pleasure to ride.

If I knew it was going to make such a big difference in the bike,I would have done it sooner.

Still pissed at BMW. They know the 1200's had poorly engineered clutch baskets and drums.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my full clutch and basket replaced at 23k miles. Dealer wanted to charge me £1,152UK. We fought, we argued to the extent I told them to put the old one back in, we settled 50/50 with BMW stumping up under their 'goodwill' policy. The dealer in question was terrible, shut down one of their shops due to the level of customer care. I get my bike serviced 200miles south of here and in a country that's less than 900miles long, a 400mile round trip is almost unheard of for servicing a bike.

Archived