IGNORED

'04 1150RT Need help with choosing a seat please.

Pier

(I moved this message from the classifieds were I posted it there by error)

Hi everyone, I'm still in search for a new seat for my new 2004 RT but I now think I know better what I want.

I currently have a low Sargent seat which I find very uncomfortable, although I raised the adjustment to the middle setting. Not only the seat is hard and low, but it is also too short for me. When I measured the driver seat I noticed that I only gave about 9" of space to sit. The lenght of the seat in about 15", but only about 9" are usable: there are three inches of unusuable space in the front tip, and about three more inches in the back that I can't use because the seat dips too low.

I feel the need to slide back one or two more inches so I need to find a longer seat even at the expenses of reducing the size of the passenger seat, or perhaps a seat that is almost flat and doesn't have much of a dip on the back side. I wonder if anyone who has a different but comfortable seat could measure it for me, from the front to the back. I'm looking for a 16-17 inches lenght.

I think I may also need to lower the pegs because I'm 5'10" and my legs are just bending too much, but I'll deal with that later, when I try a higher and longer seat.

I'm attaching a link where you can see the picture of the low Sargent seat so you may see for yourself what I mean.

I'm very thankful for any suggestion.

Thanks,

Pier

http://community.webshots.com/photo/446190833/1540557538078004862OngHWs#

Sounds like the stock BMW seat would work. Although many riders on this board have switched, others use the factory seat with no issue. Its softer than the Sargent and has a flatter, larger seating area. You should be able to find one for a reasonable cost by posting a want-to-buy in classifieds.

A used Mayer or Russell will have been custom built for someone else, and new will set you back significant $$.

switched to a sargeant from the bmw comfort seat and really like the sargeant. have put prolly 12k miles on with the sargeant. choosing a seat is difficult. i consider myself lucky that the sargeant works.

as far as lowering the pegs...i'm taller than you and have no problem with the pegs. how many miles have you ridden this moto? give it some time. also i have my seat in the middle position. on the bmw comfort seat i was always sliding forward and considered seat jacks, but non need with the sargeant.

Even the Sargen come in two sizes, and apparently you bought yourself the right one for yourself. I purchased the bike from a friend who switched to a LOW Sargent seat shortly before he sold the bike to me. The only problem is that I'm 3" taller than him, so I'm too tall for the seat he bought.

I am 5 9" and got the Sargent Regular. I have had it for 5000 miles or so and love it(it took a 1000 or so miles for it to break in for me). It puts me in a nice riding position(no Foward lean). I thought about the low seat but was talked out of it by the guys at Sargent. I have tried the stock, BMW Comfort and Rick Mayer and liked the Sargent the best. On long trips I have the Alaska Sheepskin. The main reason I went with The Sargent is that you get a 30 day money back guaranty and that sounded better to me than waiting on a Russell or another custom seat I might not like. The hardest thing for me w/ the RT was to get comfortable and the Sargent did the trick, wish it hadn't taken so long cause I love this bike! Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a basically new Corbin leather saddle for the driver and passenger. My problem is that at 5'6,31 inseam, I am too short to comfortably reach the ground with it. I took it on one trip over 1,000 miles and it was completely comfortable, so much so that I was prepared to live with not being able to get my feet to the ground without sliding forward and sideways. Maybe you should look to a Corbin, it provides a lot of seating area so you can adjust your posture, and it is comfortable for the long haul.

If you decide to sell your Sargent let me know, or maybe we could work out a trade for the Corbin. I've never sat on a low Sargent, but if it is lower than the Corbin it would help.

I have been riding on a Russel for two years. VERY comfortable on multiple 500+ mile days. The cost is not much more than the other seats if at all. If only need the front seat it is neglagble. Well worth it is you are already going to spend the big bucks. I am also 5' 10" no problem and I have a 34" inseam.

I have tried stock, comfort (the worst), Sargent, Corbin, Mayer (I forget which one) and

Russell. There is no comparison to the Russell.

Corbin is junk and their customer service is even worse. Sargent was ok (at best) and I've had 4 Russell seats made for various BMW's in the last 10 years, currently a R11RT. At 6'4" the Russell gives the best leg room and 800 mile days are no big deal. clap.gif

Thank you for the inputs. I read other members' good comments about the Russell seats. I found the site for Russell and I understand that a price does not include a seat pan. Do you know if they can provide a complete seat or whether I must provide them with the seat pan. I will also give them a call, but since you dealt with them so may time you may have some advise. I currently only have a low Sargent seat which I'm trying to sell so I don't want to waste its pan to make the Russell.

Thank you,

Pier

Thank you for the inputs. I read other members' good comments about the Russell seats. I found the site for Russell and I understand that a price does not include a seat pan. Do you know if they can provide a complete seat or whether I must provide them with the seat pan. I will also give them a call, but since you dealt with them so may time you may have some advise. I currently only have a low Sargent seat which I'm trying to sell so I don't want to waste its pan to make the Russell.

Thank you,

Pier

use the pan from the oem seat that came with the RT

I took my stock seat to an upholstery shop, told them to take it down about an inch and a half where my butt sits, don't take anything from the front to help alleviate the forward slide, and trim a little off the front sides so I can reach the ground easier. Cost me $150, and solved every issue I had with the stock seat.

Archived