IGNORED

Stripped Allen Head

CharlieC

I was in the process of putting on a set of Throttlemeisters and the allen head bolt holding the right side bar end stripped (is now a round instead of hex-hole). Any suggestions on getting the little beast out? It is obviously in there VERY tight. I would leave it but I'm now half and half. I hosed it with WD40 but that didn't work. Thanks for the help. [i hate for my first post to be so stupid!]

I was in the process of putting on a set of Throttlemeisters and the allen head bolt holding the right side bar end stripped (is now a round instead of hex-hole). Any suggestions on getting the little beast out? It is obviously in there VERY tight. I would leave it but I'm now half and half. I hosed it with WD40 but that didn't work. Thanks for the help. [i hate for my first post to be so stupid!]

Perhaps others will have a better solution - I'd just drill the hex head off, remove the bar end, there should now be enough shaft to grab with vice grips.

Done that many times before and agree with Tom. If it's locked on that tight maybe some penetrating oil overnight will help it as well

left hand thread tap...plug /bottom tap. It will either turn it out or you can put a left hand threaded machine screw in it and that will turn it out

ShovelStrokeEd

You might luck out and find a torx bit you can pound in there. The shock will help work against the factory Loctite as well. If memory serves, that is a 6mm bolt which takes a 4mm hex wrench. T20 or 25 might do it. Craftsman has a set of bolt extracters which might just have the right size as well. At this point, unless you have heated grips, a heat gun applied to the bar end might also help. Grip covers are cheap. Heated, not so much.

The advice about drilling may be the ticket. I just want to add that WD40 is not a particularly good product for loosening up stuck bolts. Try some of the more industrial quality ones, and let it sit overnight. (The local garage would not work on my wifes car recently because they couldn't get the lug nuts off with their air guns; They wanted to cut the wheel off. I put on some good penetrant, let it sit overnight, and the lug nuts came off no problem with a small 18 inch breaker.)

Had a similar problem. Drilled the center and inserted reverse tap only to have it snap off. Yikes! Then out of desperation got a torx bit that was a tad too big for hole, tapped it in with hammer and presto. Hope it works for you.

ShovelStrokeEd

Uber, that would be great except for one little thing, the bolt is not stuck it is held in place by an adhesive. In this case, no amount of penetrant will work. Needs either sufficient force to break the penetrant or heat to defeat it.

It probably is simpler just to drill the bolt clean out till the bar end weight will slide off by itself. A little larger hole in the bar end could easily be taken up with a small washer.

Thanks to ALL who responded! It drilled out nicely and by the time the bar end fell off, the locktite had given up the fight and the bolt came out meekly. The TM is working dandily (and the red ring looks like it was made for my 1-week-old red 03 RT!) smile.gif

Archived