IGNORED

How to get dried bugs out of the oil cooler?

macx

The fins there seem pretty fragile and easily bent,

so no 20+ lb pressure stream of water, or hi pressure

compressed air!

I tried soaking to soften them then using low pressure air

but they wouldn't budge.

There must be a way other than to clean out each of the hundreds

of little holes with i.e. a fine piece of wire?

Thanks for any tips!

I couldn't believe how many bugs I pick up in the darn

seemingly bone dry Mojave Desert!

Comb the fins clean with a used toothbrush,then compressed air from the backside out.

I keep the air pressure at about 90 psi. Works great!

DaveTheAffable
Comb the fins clean with a used toothbrush,then compressed air from the backside out.

I keep the air pressure at about 90 psi. Works great!

Yup. I use the same toothbrush I use to get bugs off my teeth! :grin:

Hmm, I was afraid to use that much pressure, have seen that much even bend over fins in a car radiator.

I thought about coming from behind, makes sense to blow them back out the way they came in of course. But the cobbled together little air gun I have here wouldn't fit in behind, at least not without a struggle.

I'm 1700 miles from home on a long term temp job so only have the

most essential tools with me, and definitely not my good air compressor & accessories!

Well I'll be home (RETIRING!!!) sometime maybe in January when this project is done, so now with colder weather I'll just do the toothbrush thing and finish the job when I get home before next summer.

Thanks!

With the "bugs on a toothbrush" you probly don't even need mouthwash! :-/

Spray them generously with hydrogen peroxide. Watch them turn white and bubble up. Rinse with water in a spray bottle if you are worried about pressure, but a garden hose rinse off won't hurt the fins....

I use this same process to take them off the car. No it won't eat the paint....

I use shop air first. I blast from the side on the front side to loosen up any debris then I blast from the back side. After that I use a water hose and back flush from the back side out. It works rather well. Any other bugs or debris I use a tooth pick to remove or push through. No harm and no bent fins. Only takes about 10 minutes or so and its relatively clean.

Now that sounds like an easy way to get them out.

Not that the other ways don't work, I've just always

had a motto that I've tried to live by

Give the hardest job to the laziest man and he'll figure

the easiest way to do it.

Has served me well many many times.

Thanks for all the info, everyone, there's always more than

one way to accomplish something.

The simplest way is to go for a short fast run in a good rain- leaves the cooler as clean as it will ever get...

Peroxide works if you rain scares you or you live in a desert though in that case you should have darn few bugs to remove.

Surprisingly I'm in the Mojave Desert on the CA/Nev border South of Vegas, and am amazed at the amount of bugs! And some big ones, too. Had one splatter my face shield and couldn't hardly see around it.

On occasion have some real monsoons here, but not often enuf. Especially in the hottest part of the year - one afternoon my temp readout bounced between 112 and 115 for the whole 40 miles home from work. Ugh!

Am leaving this godawful place early next year when the job is done, but in SE MO where I've been living for 25 years there's lots of bugs, too. Getting outta there,too - retiring near Casper WY. Dry there, but probly still plenty of bugs.

The Harbor Freight tool mentioned above looks like it won't fit inside the plastic air duct on the recent RTs.

Peroxide works great and it's kind fun to watch it work. Be sure to rinse thoroughly with water after the fun stops.

If the bugs are a problem for you, how do you thinks the bugs feel?

pete

Even better than a toothbrush is a parts cleaning brush. Long handle and straight stiff bristles. Works well for me and you can get them at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight for a couple bucks!

w197c.jpg

Peroxide works

Winner. Put some hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and soak 'em down. This turns cement-like bug goo into dust. A little toothbrush scrubbing will be required, but you will be amazed.

Peroxide works

Winner. Put some hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and soak 'em down. This turns cement-like bug goo into dust. A little toothbrush scrubbing will be required, but you will be amazed.

Hmmm .... that along with my Parts Brush sounds perfect. Off to CVS tonight :thumbsup:

Archived