IGNORED

Lubricating Center Stand on R1150RT ?

OlGeezer

Is there a written procedure out there somewhere?

This sounds pretty straightforward, but that's what makes me suspicious. I would hate to remove the centerstand only to find I need a special tool to install it and the store that has it isn't open on the weekends. This kind of thing has happened before.

TIA,

Bill Allen

(with a squeeky stand)

Bill,

Perform a search on this topic, refer to the first listing in this section. I seem to recall that Jamis KMG365 provided a tutorial about this subject a short time ago.

Good Luck.

Is there a written procedure out there somewhere?

This sounds pretty straightforward, but that's what makes me suspicious. I would hate to remove the centerstand only to find I need a special tool to install it and the store that has it isn't open on the weekends. This kind of thing has happened before.

My old K100 has grease nipples, and they are a godsend! If your stand has none, then once you get it off the bike, put some in there!

But whatever you do, if your stand is tubular, be SURE to check the rubber plugs at the end of the tubes. If they are not in perfect shape, REPLACE THEM!

Water tends to leak into the inside of the tubes, and rot them out from inside. Then one day, you will be putting your bike on the stand, and ....BANG! The thing breaks and the bike goes over on its side.

How do I know? my right fairing panel is in getting repainted this very moment, because of this very reason!

Bob.

I'm not sure about your 1150 but I lube the centerstand on my 1100 once a year. It's pretty straight forward. The hardest part is how you will hold your bike up with the centerstand removed. You could just do it with the bike on the side stand, but that put it at an awkward angle, for me anyhow. I jack mine up with a beefy scissor type machine jack under the crankcase and some tie downs to keep it stable. This way you can disassemble the sidestand and clean and lube the SS switch at the same time.

You will need two allen wrenches to remove the centerstand, 6mm I think. After you take the protective caps off of the centerstand pivot, you will ind an allen head on each side. You have to hold one from turning as you screw out the other one. With them out the inner shaft comes out to the left side of the bike if I remember correctly. Just clean it and lube it with some good chassis grease and reassemble.

You will notice that if you overtighten the allen heads, that the stand will not rotate at all. Just back off on the right side allen head till it just swings free.

Like I said I do the sidestand at the same time. You could lube the side stand through a little hole in the bottome of the pivot tube, but if you disasseble it you can clean it good and service the pesky kill switch at the same time. I clean the switch with brake cleaner and them give it a nice coat of silicon grease.

Good luck with your project,

Mike Canant.

Bill,

Perform a search on this topic, refer to the first listing in this section. I seem to recall that Jamis KMG365 provided a tutorial about this subject a short time ago.

Good Luck.

Thanks. I tried a search both before I posted and after I read yours. I guess I'm not that good with key words.

No need to remove center stand, There are two little holes, one each side, on the side stand at the pivot. clean the holes out and pump grease in there with a small grease pump that you would use on the bar for a chain saw.

You still haven't done your center stand yet? grin.gif

Here's the link that was posted to your last request thread. grin.gif

(Didn't know about the holes for lubing the center stand, though! Maybe that's different for the R1150RT's? confused.gif I'm gonna have to go check that out! cool.gif )

ME MAKE'UM BIG MISTAKE dopeslap.gif, There are No Holes on center stand, I was picturing the side stand in my head, when I posted. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Sorry for the inconvenience for anybody who looked, I just checked mine

Archived