IGNORED

K1200RS - periodic ABS fault

Endobob

New metal brake lines installed by very experienced BMW mechanic last week. After a little over 500 miles ABS/brake light starts flashing during the ride. Still had solid brakes but perhaps not ABS. Stopped and noted minimum brake fluid level in the front brake well under the seat. Topped off fluid - ABS light went off and headed down the road. After 40 miles or so light came back on.

If I stop and turn off the bike and restart the light often stays off for many miles but eventually comes back on. This happened over and over the 4 days and 1600+ miles while attending the BMWST FART.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Did you check the fluid level in the other brake reservoir? Also, look at the areas where the ABS sensors are and make sure things look clean, hooked up and lined up properly.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Jay

Dennis Andress

:wave:

Most likely one, or more, of the "circuits" is low on fluid. You said you added fluid and the light came back on after 40 miles. My guess would be that the system wasn't correctly flushed and bled, and there is a bit of air inside. Check all three reservoirs, the one on the bars and the two under the seat and top them off if needed.

You should take it back to the person who installed the brake lines. Or, find somebody else to do an EVO brake flush. Any air in the lines *could* work its way out over time, as long as you continue to top it off.

As a sanity check: Start the bike and ride it just far enough to turn off the flashing ABS light. Then squeeze the brake lever as hard as you can for 5-10 seconds. Do the same with the brake pedal. If the ABS light comes on you've got bigger problems then I thought.

Dennis

I did check all three reservoirs and only the one inside smaller one was near the minimum level. After topping that reservoir off did not loose any fluid over the next 600 or so miles.

I will try Dennis' suggestion when I get home tonight. And will keep you posted on how this problem gets resolved.

:wave:

Most likely one, or more, of the "circuits" is low on fluid. You said you added fluid and the light came back on after 40 miles. My guess would be that the system wasn't correctly flushed and bled, and there is a bit of air inside. Check all three reservoirs, the one on the bars and the two under the seat and top them off if needed.

You should take it back to the person who installed the brake lines. Or, find somebody else to do an EVO brake flush. Any air in the lines *could* work its way out over time, as long as you continue to top it off.

Dennis

I'm voting for this. Try flushing with new fluid. Might be air in the ABS circuit that needs to be purged.
  • 10 months later...

Did not realize I never posted how my brake problem was resolved.

It was a failed ABS unit. The 2002 K1200RS ABS unit is a different model than those used in years prior and years after. This 2002 unit has no one rebuilding them so required the purchase of a new unit. $2,378.71 for the part and $360 dollars (4 hours) of labor to install.

Bike and brakes all working smoothly since the installation in July. :thumbsup:

Module Masters were not refurbishing the 2002 KRS ABS units when we checked with them in early July 2014.

I like the bike so much that if I had enough room in the garage I would have bought another 2002 KRS with low mileage (I have seen them for less than $6,000) and stripped it for the extra set of wheels and parts for mine.

Had the same thought.

MM has put off this version time and again for part sourcing.

Haven't talked to them, thought I read something about this summer on K bike forum.

Glad you are good to go.

Archived