IGNORED

Instrument light sensor

macx

Which side is it on, there's a little sensor looking opening on both sides.

I'm sick and tired of not being able to read the display unless the sun is shining on it - probly won't work but going to try to cover the lower part of the gauge to see if I can get it to stay on.

I took the bezel off, but it looks like it's a real job to get in there deep enough to get at it.

Thx.

Afternoon Macx

You are correct it won't help but if you want to try it the ambient light dash sensor in the one on the left just under the speedometer MPH logo. The one on the right (bottom of tac) is the anti theft alarm indicator.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - I was afraid of that.

Anyone go to the trouble of wiring in a switch in place of that sensor? Really bugs me in daylight cuz it seems like the sun is seldom shining in the right spot and with even moderate sun glasses my old eyes just can't read the display.

Yep, and my hi-viz jacket makes it even worse with the bright reflection in the instrument cluster.

Let us know what you find out and do.

pete

Afraid it'll be awhile - probly early next spring.

Finishing up my last job (power plant project) probly in Jan,

then moving my RV to the Casper WY area, then going home to

SE MO to get the place ready to sell so I can go build my

3rd - and final - house in WY to retire in.

Being 1700 miles away from home here in S Nevada, I only have

my essential tools with me and no place to work.

I also have an HID hi beam kit to install, which will have to wait till I get home, so will try to do anything that may require more extensive tupperware removal then when I have a place to work out of the weather and with all my tools.

Was just hoping there was a quick/easy solution even if it was

temporary and didn't work 100%.

The thing that improves readability the most is a shelf over the dash to reduce sunlight hitting it.

The most common ones bolt on easily- I use an RCU on mu o8 which seems to be one of the less common ones and it works well- though it can just barely cut off seeing the turn signal arrows (Doesn't really matter. I know if I tuned them on or off and they self cancel anyway)

Some HID kits are very simple to install and others need a bunch more work. The RT has a hard rear lamp housing cover that has to be drilled which os the only tool you likely don't have instant access to. The easier kits (like the DDM stuff) need only a knife, pliers and some cable ties on bikes with rubber back covers and add the drill for hard covers plus other tools if access is complicated.)

I guess I'll find out when I get home and have the time and place to work on it.

Thinking about bypassing the sensor and putting a little switch somewhere accessible to my left hand.

Will do the HID kit at the same time, only want to take that mess apart once!

Hadn't heard about those shelves, will look into them.

Thanks!

Archived