IGNORED

Wiring a Garmin 665 into a '12RT audio system

Doug_Baliko

I just sold my '07 RT that didn't have an audio system and purchased a '12RT that does have an Audio system. I had my Garmin 665 wired to the steering head connection on the '07 and it looks like the same connection and plug on the '12 so no problem there. My question is how to get the voice commands to go through the audio system. I see the two pronged plug for the audio input, but I'm not sure what I need to tap from the Garmin wiring harness to get it to the bike? If anyone has done this please let me know how it's done. Thank you!

Doug

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I bet the NavIV setup will get you there. It has the harness that connect to the bike. Only question is, will it work. My nav works in the car setup for a 665 but, that isn't all there is in functionality terms.

Zumo Integration Cable about half way down the page. http://beemerblaine.blogspot.com/ You'll have to do a little soldering and order a part from BMW. You can use Mike's bike as an example.

Thanks Tom. Is this how you had your 660 wired to the RT Audio? This is an option, but I was hoping for a way to wire the output from the Garmin hard wiring kit wire harness to bike without having to have a plug into the GPS units 3.5mm jack. I was considering buying the nav IV mount cradle, which should work with the 660/665 since the are virtually the same unit as the NAV IV unit. I know that the buttons on the cradle wouldn't work with my 665, but the harness would connect everything to the bike.

Doug

I bought a new cradle for the NAV IV for $50 on eBay. It would have been the perfect solution since it has both plugs for unit power and sound out to the audio system. Unfortunately the sound out doesn't appear to work with the Garmin 665. It powers the unit, but the navigation instructions aren't going to the audio system. Oh well.

I found a complete NAV IV system for sale on the MOA board classifieds for $350 so I jumped on it. I'll just sell the Garmin 665 set up. I can't use the XM on it anyway with the new bike.

Doug

Archived