IGNORED

2011 -2012 R1200RT

cris nitro

Morning all; looks like I have sold my 1150 and I am in the market for a 1200RT. I can't afford a new one or even a used 2013, so I am looking at 2011 to 2012. If you don't mind, I have questions that will help me with the purchase.

I believe the 2011 and up have the fuel float instead of the dreaded strip?

The EWS ring; was that corrected by 2011?

How about switch issues? Still a problem?

Factory options I should aware of; heated seats, ESA, on board computer, TPM. What is ASC?

Anything else about the 11/12's I should be looking for?

Thanks, Have a great day.

Cris

I believe the 2011 and up have the fuel float instead of the dreaded strip? Indeed they have. Mind that strips are a very sensitive topic: some seem to have pretty reasonable lifespans, other fail in the span of a few weeks.

The EWS ring; was that corrected by 2011? The EWS was fixed during the Hexhead production run. There's still the occasional failure but the worst is well in the past.

How about switch issues? Still a problem? Yes, in fact the Wethead GS still has issues with them. BMW said they changed switch supplier this year... they surely took their sweet time.

Factory options I should aware of; heated seats, ESA, on board computer, TPM. What is ASC? Fancy name for traction control. Tempomat (cruise control), heated grips and radio are the other available options.

Anything else about the 11/12's I should be looking for? A few early Camhead here had issues with the exhaust flapper valve getting stuck. Never knew the exact cause (Carbon buildup? Defective part?) but the issue seems gone from 2011 on.

Have fun on your new ride.

Break-in oil consumption: some seem to use quite a bit of oil for quite a few miles. My 2011 RT is just over 11K miles and oil burning seems to have settled down finally. There are lots of reports of more miles than that needed. Depends on how you "break it in" and perhaps a good portion of luck.

Point is, if you are considering a low-mileage bike it may still be burning oil.

(Opinions on this subject rival oil and tire threads in shear numbers!)

pete

I've got a 2011 RT. Love the bike but its been in the shop three different times for switches. Last go around the service writer said they had 5 bikes including a K1600 waiting on switches. Hopefully the new supplier can build a switch that last more than a few months.

I've got a 2011 RT. Love the bike but its been in the shop three different times for switches. Last go around the service writer said they had 5 bikes including a K1600 waiting on switches. Hopefully the new supplier can build a switch that last more than a few months.

OTOH, I have 40k miles on my 2011 RT and haven't had any switch problems.

Thanks for all the replies. So, on the switches, what exactly are the problem/symptoms? Is it moisture related, age, heat? How do you know if there is a problem?

And the RT's don't have ASC as an option do they?

Yeah, I see that 1200 in Ga. Looks nice.

Sounds like a good price.

The ASC is a dealer add on option if you want it. The TPM is not but many do not care for it. I have a low seat with standard suspension. Works good for me.

ASC was available as a factory option, along with TPM. It all usually came bundled with the computer pkg.

I think that the float was changed during the 2010 year, switches are still a problem, although they have a new superseded part number which means they've replaced both rt and left switches. I had my right side changed last week. The symptom is - one day the starter won't activate without any apparent reason. Turns out that its heat. If you leave it in the sun the contact expands to the point where it doesn't make contact when you press the starter button. I was lucky, I was at the Dealer when mine failed. ( Although they were out of replacement switches so I had to bring it back a week later)

I haven't heard of fuel leaks from anyone in my riding group. If you're looking at 2011/2012 bikes you will still be under warranty for any repairs so its not that big a deal really. Even if the starter switch gives you trouble just shade it for awhile and the bike will start. I wouldn't wait forever to make an appt. but it will get you home.

gotta love BMW - these switches have been out for 4 years and still a problem. Took them 3 years to deal with the bad fuel strips. Much as I love these bikes, I doubt if I will ever buy one again. As a company, they need some serious attitude adjustment!!

I have a 2012 1200RT with 25000 km on it. My LH switch block (blinkers) failed 3 weeks ago and was replaced under warranty. Last week my RH switch block (start/kill) failed when I was 800 km from home with a pillion and lots of gear. Replacement part will take 10 - 14 days to arrive. Bike will then have to be relocated to me - I am now at home.

I had no warning that either switch was about to fail.

I curse their crappy switches but am thankful for BMW warranty and roadside assistance.

Thanks for all the replies. The deal on my 1150 fell thru, so the hunt for a 1200 is now taking a backseat until I can sell the 1150.

Cris

Yeah, I have an intermitant problem with the Cruise Control switch on my '11 RT and, as is the case with extended warranties, until it happens all the time they won't replace the switch. Can't blame them, but it's annoying when it doesn't work properly.

Archived