IGNORED

Ohlins adjustment

Stephen_Chase

Stephen_Chase

I have just installed a set of Ohlins on my 1100RT with 7,000 miles on them. Frankly, not a difficult task, but a nuisance if my tupperware had been on. I had removed it for a few cosmetic touches.

My question is this: How should I go about adjusting the front shock? confused.gif

The adjustment "rings" are fairly high up but an awkward reach. I purchased 2 Ohlins wrenches (Ohlins suggested 2 was better than one). These were set for a 190 lb rider. I am 170 lbs. I am guessing that I should relax the spring??

Happily, the rear will be easy! clap.gif

Cheers!

Stephen

I went to a suspension workshop a couple months ago. Checking the sag is a three person job. The first step is to take a measurement with the bike upright but no extra weight on it. It takes 2 people to do this. One to hold the bike up and one to measure. Pick 2 points, one somewhere around the axel and the other a point on the lower part of the fairing. Write down the measurement and remember the points used. The next takes 3 people, you sitting on the bike with feet on the pegs, someone to hold the bike up, and someone to take the second measurement using the same points. You want the bike to settle about 1" in the front. Hopefully you won't need to adjust any, if you do and parts need to come off to do so it's going to take a while because it will all have to go back on to take both measurements again. Rebound damping was checked by holding the bike upright, holding front brake and pushing down on the bars hard. The front should go down and come back without bouncing at the top. If it comes up too slowly, less rebound is needed, bouncing at top means more. This part is obviously more difficult to judge than sag.

Archived