IGNORED

2012 R1200GS "Burnt Oil Smell"

JGP

A bit of information first:

2012 R1200GS - 6.5K miles - purchased used with 2.5K miles. At 3K mile I changed the oil, oil filter, transmission fluid, and final drive, primarily to replace all the drain plugs with "DIMPLE" plugs. During the process, I found the dealer overfilled the final drive, the drain totaled (215cc). I refilled to 180cc. Over the next 3K miles the engine oil has dropped less than 25% of the sight glass. I had the BMW dealer performed the 6K mile service recently, but not the oil, oil filter change, I did that myself.

ISSUE:

Right from the onset of my acquiring the 12GS, on occasions when I'd come to a stop, I could detect the odor of burnt oil.

WHAT I'VE DONE"

I obviously monitored the oil consumption and IMO the drop in the sight glass was NORMAL. I examined the drain plugs, oil filter, bone dry. I examined the engine the best I could and for the life of me cannot find anything that would point to an oil leak.

I searched some forums, and found a threat about the "cam tensioner bolt" not being torqued properly from the factory. I looked at the bolt with a light and mirror, and found no evidence of weeping oil.

I called the BMW dealer and asked about the cam tensioner bolt being the culprit, he said, in his three years, he has only seen 2 units that the cam tensioner bolt was not torqued properly.

QUESTIONS:

If the cam tensioner bolt was not properly torqued, and the oil smell is coming from it, wouldn't I see some visible sign of weeping?

Based on the aforementioned information, what other possible avenue or areas can you advise I look.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Michigan

I have a 2013 R1200RT with 600 miles and have experienced the EXACT same thing. I really only notice it when I am pulling away from a stop. I could not find a leak or drip ANYWHERE. When I took it in, I was told what I expected, it is normal, some just give off that smell, it should lessen as the bike puts on miles, if it doesn't let us know we will look at it more in depth. I don't notice it from the tailpipe, or when it is just sitting. I will also be keep a serious eye on oil consumption. I will also say I think I have a pretty strong sense of smell that may be causing me to notice it. On a summer day while sitting in my car with the windows down at a red light, I can pick up somebody smoking 3-4 cars away depending on the breeze. I have 35 months to find the problem, if there is one, so I will be watching and looking for any issues. You might also want to grab a qt of oil and keep it with you just in case.

Morning JGP

The most probable cause of your smell is a VERY VERY SLIGHT oil seep at the engine rear balance shaft seal. I have seen more than a few 1200's do this with no signs of dripping oil or other outward signs of oil leakage.

The seep is usually so small that it only lightly coats the rear engine area above the lower crankcase shelf & most of the oil residue just burns off due to engine & cat. heat.

If it is the rear seal then you m-i-g-h-t see one small oil drip on the floor after a long long parking in one spot (like 3-4 weeks) without moving the bike.

It is difficult to do but take a good strong light & look at the top & top front of the cat for a little discoloration due to flashing off of oil mist.

You might also put the bike on center stand then take a white paper towel & wipe the rear of engine WAY up above the rear oil shelf & just below the starter & trans housing then look for a little oil residue on the paper towel. (it's difficult to reach up in there though).

From what I have seen in the past the rear balancer shaft seal is more likely to seep with the bike parked than when the engine is running so they seldom show much of any signs of oil usage or oil dripping after riding.

If it is dry way up on the back of engine then look for oil seepage (not a leak but very slight seep) at the oil cooler hoses, under the front engine cover, rear of cylinder heads, & around the cylinder base gaskets & cylinder gaskets, as well as way down in the spark plug holes under the coils.

I had the same issue with my 2011 RT. I would occasionally detect a burnt oil smell but couldn't see any indication of a leak (I was aware of the cam tensioner bolt . A few weeks ago, I briefly noticed a stronger burnt oil smell but didn't think much of it since I'd noticed it before. About a week after that, as I was changing oil, I noticed burnt oil on the exhaust pipe and catalytic converter. After removing the left side plastic, I traced the leak to the cam tensioner bolt on the left side. I managed to tighten the bolt with help from a friend. It's been a couple of weeks since then and I haven't noticed any leakage or smelled burnt oil.

Dave,

I've looked pretty hard at the cam tensioner bolt area, and cannot find any signs of weeping/leak etc.

On your RT, was there any evidence of oil in the area of the bolt?

Did you have to remove the throttle body to gain access to the bolt head, things are rather tight.

If not what tools did you use to gain access?

Did you torque it down, and if so, what was the value, or did you just snug it up?

Thanks

jgp

Dave,

I've looked pretty hard at the cam tensioner bolt area, and cannot find any signs of weeping/leak etc.

On your RT, was there any evidence of oil in the area of the bolt?

Did you have to remove the throttle body to gain access to the bolt head, things are rather tight.

If not what tools did you use to gain access?

Did you torque it down, and if so, what was the value, or did you just snug it up?

Thanks

jgp

To do the job properly, you need to remove the throttle body. My friend and I were unable to get both of the hose clamps on the throttle body removed, so I held the throttle body out of the way while my friend snugged the bolt up. I would have preferred to use a torque wrench but there wasn't room enough to get a torque wrench in there without completely removing the throttle body.

Dave,

Thanks for follow up. I took time again this am went over it with a fine tooth comb, taking all tupperware off to expose as much of the engine as I could. For the life of me I couldn't find a sign of oil..........So for now I wait and monitor the oil level.

Regards,

jgp

I had the same issue with my 2011 RT. I would occasionally detect a burnt oil smell but couldn't see any indication of a leak (I was aware of the cam tensioner bolt . A few weeks ago, I briefly noticed a stronger burnt oil smell but didn't think much of it since I'd noticed it before. About a week after that, as I was changing oil, I noticed burnt oil on the exhaust pipe and catalytic converter. After removing the left side plastic, I traced the leak to the cam tensioner bolt on the left side. I managed to tighten the bolt with help from a friend. It's been a couple of weeks since then and I haven't noticed any leakage or smelled burnt oil.

+1 - Same diagnosis, same resolution and same success so far.

ktmjr

The visit at the dealership was less than successful. They looked the engine over using a flexible LED light and couldn't find any signs of leakage. The oil level was just below the bottom of the top red line when hot. When I changed the oil I intentionally did not put in 4 qts as recommended. The dealership suggested, maybe the oil was a little high and it would find its own level??? Which I didn't agree with.

I took PGlaves advice and drained sufficient amount of oil out to bring the level to the center of the sight glass, took the GS out and warmed it up and the the odor is still present.

The issue is out there on numerous 1200 engines, some find the cam tensioner bolt to be loose, re-torquing it seems to fix their problem. In my case the area of the cam tensioner bolt appears to be bone dry without any tell tale signs of weeping.

What would you do?

thanks

I had the same smell since new. My 2012 RT now has 10,000 miles and I get the oil smell when I stop at a light or arriving home in my driveway. As soon as I stop I smell it. So I looked around for evidence of a oil leak or seep. I poked around with a bright light and found nothing to show any evidence of any kind of oil seepage.

I ran my fingers along the top of the exhaust pipe from front to rear paying attention to the run under the engine. No residue or evidence of oil burning on the exhaust pipe. Surprisingly my oil consumption is very good since it is not broken in yet. 3,000 miles since the oil change and my level is between 2/3rds to 1/2 way from the top of the red circle. The next time I remove all the fairings I will look deeper at the engine block and cylinders to see what it looks like. At this point I am not concerned. Nothing more I can do. Just ride and enjoy the bike for now.

One more thing to add, when the bike was new I would get a nice puff of blue smoke on start up and when I jab the throttle when the engine is warming up. After it warmed up it seemed ok as far as the blue smoke out the exhaust. Since I have put miles on the engine the blue smoke is no longer visible. I assume the engine is well on its way to being broken in.

clip--

What would you do?

Afternoon JGP

Fist thing I would do is make sure BMW has your complaint on record in the form of a work order. So if they haven't yet, then get them to write an official work order to search for the source of the hot oil smell.

Next, I would have it re-written up on a work order every time I took the bike in for any service work or warranty work.

Retain copies for your records--

Next, I would remove the lower plastic then put a white glove on & go over everything-- trans, final drive, engine as much as I could reach etc.

If you smell it then you probably have oil getting on something hot somewhere. Might just be a partial drop or light mist or even inside something like the clutch housing, inside swing arm, or under the engine front cover, could even be up by the oil cooler.

Have you checked up in the oil filter cavity? (between filter & case) I have seen oil smell coming form there if an oil film was allowed to remain on the rough casting after an oil change.

Same with down in the upper spark plug holes.

I now have a 2013 R1200RT with just over 2000 Kms on it. I've noticed a smell to but it smells more like burned clutch then burned oil.

I have had a quick look for oil seepage and found nothing.

my 2013 R1200RT with ~7800 miles every once in a while will smell of burnt gear lube....no runs, no drips, no errors....like maybe only a very small drop or spritz hits the pipes and then it goes away...

will do an in depth inspection over the weekend, but expect to find nadda.....

wyman

• 2 weeks later...

I just completed a oil change this morning. I rode 4,239 miles between oil changes. Last change was August 4th. Yea, I have been riding plenty and mostly highway. Even though I get that occasional oil smell when I stop at a traffic light or in my driveway as I pull into my garage there is no signs of any leaks anywhere.

My bike has 11,311 miles and my approx. calculated oil consumption is between .25 to .33 liters. That was with 4,239 miles. So to sum it up I am not concerned about the smell. I can assume my oil consumption at this point is very minimal.

I'm not concerned either as long as its not leaking into the clutch, we wouldn't see that right away but would smell it. Lets hope that's not the issue

Archived