IGNORED

2012 RT turn signal cancel switch/ button

Doug_Baliko

I just received a 2012 RT with 3500 miles that I purchased and had shipped to me. The bike appears to be perfect except for the turn signal cancel button, which is only working intermittently. This morning all was fine and the cancel button worked. Then an hour later it wasn't working. Is this a known problem? And is there a solution? Obviously the bike is still under warranty so I can take it to the stealer to have it checked out.

Doug

I had the same issue last month. Took three weeks to get the part, and the dealer had three other bikes waiting for the same part. Service writer said that the handlebar switches on all the new BMW are problematic. Also had a bad cruise control switch and kill switch since owning the bike. Love the bike but BMW needs a new switch vendor.

My 2012 cruise switch went belly up a few weeks back. Replaced under warranty. The dealer rep says that BMW changed vender's and all replacement switches are redesigned. We will see in time how that is a true statement.

"Love the bike but BMW needs a new switch vendor."

Yep, how hard can it be to make decent switches? I never had a problem with any Japanese bike (OK, after many years, many washes, many rain storms I might have fixed one with a squirt of WD40) until my 2011 RT. The switches feel like junk even when they work.

Come to think of it, the only bike I ever owned that needed a switch replaced was a Lucas electric Brit bike. The Prince of darkness, indeed. C'mon BMW - you can do better.

pete

The switches feel like junk even when they work.

I agree, when pushing on the turn signal button to cancel, I have almost no movement/feeling in the button. Still works, but just a horrible tactile sensation. All other bikes have a positive feel that you know the switch was engaged. 1st world problems... ;)

Mine failed @ 4400 miles - could signal for left or right but couldn't turn off manually. Solution was to wait for self-cancel feature to work (10 seconds or 300 meters, actually quite a long time) or to turn the hazards on then off again. Dealer had to order a new switch. Unfortunately I'll never know if the new switch is an improvement since I got rear-ended and the bike totaled before I could get it installed.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my 2012 12RT in for its 10 KM (6000 mi) service, the dealer pointed out that the horn switch was defective. They replaced the switch cluster, also replaced both front rotors (warped). Its my first BMW, hopefully they get the bugs fixed before the warranty is up!

I have never had a switch fail on me-ever...Switches aren't a new concept, so what's the deal with BMW?

Since I had ASC retrofitted, I have the switch removed to do that. In addition to a small attached wire harness with 4 wires, there are 12 pins for the harness that remained with the bike to plug to.

By my count there are 15 functions performed by this unit and 16 on the new one.

These are

Hi beam

Lo beam

Flash

Cruise set

Cruise resume

Cruise cancel

Info

4-way flash

ASC

ESA

Windscreen raise

Windscreen lower

Turn left

Turn right

Turn cancel

Horn

I have a switched removed from my 1984 R100RS when it was new and it only does

Horn

Hi beam

Lo beam

Flash

Turn left

Turn right

It's bigger and heavier.

You've never had a switch unit like this before.

I have never had a switch fail on me-ever...Switches aren't a new concept, so what's the deal with BMW?

Since I had ASC retrofitted, I have the switch removed to do that. In addition to a small attached wire harness with 4 wires, there are 12 pins for the harness that remained with the bike to plug to.

By my count there are 15 functions performed by this unit and 16 on the new one.

These are

Hi beam

Lo beam

Flash

Cruise set

Cruise resume

Cruise cancel

Info

4-way flash

ASC

ESA

Windscreen raise

Windscreen lower

Turn left

Turn right

Turn cancel

Horn

I have a switched removed from my 1984 R100RS when it was new and it only does

Horn

Hi beam

Lo beam

Flash

Turn left

Turn right

It's bigger and heavier.

You've never had a switch unit like this before.

Wouldn't you think that if BMW decided to design and engineer a switch unit that managed 15 functions they would make it robust enough to work without commonly failing?

2012 R1200RT SE

Three weeks ago the blinker switch on the LH switch block failed when I was 50 km from home. Replaced under warranty - no big deal

Last week the start/kill switch on the RH switch block failed. This time my wife & I were 800 km from home and loaded up. Nearest BMW dealer is 200 km away. Now this is looking more like a big deal.

Because the bike is still under warranty it is covered by the BMW roadside assistance program. Within an hour of ringing the BMW roadside assistance number a generic serviceman was there. When he couldn't fix the problem he organised for the bike to be transported 200 km to the nearest BMW dealer. I then rang the magic BMW number again and they organised the use of a hire car for 5 days, and asked if I needed help with accommodation - which I didn't. I imposed on my sister instead. The dealer informed me that there were no RH switch blocks in the country (Australia) and it would be 10 - 14 days before they could get one. Once I found out the part was on back order, I once again rang the magic number and they OKed me to drive the hire car 800 km home and drop it off at a branch near where I live. They also undertook to 'relocate' the bike to my house when it is repaired.

Moral of the story: BMW make lousy switches but they run a great roadside assistance program.

Hi Garr, I put together this emergency kit and posted it on this web site. Go to http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78978

Very simple and easy to do. If you can not for some reason, have a friend or a shop make a jumper wire for you. The pics are very self explanatory. I suggest once you have a jumper made make a practice attempt at the procedure. There might be some differences in wire colors or relay size but the basic idea is the same. You are bypassing the starter relay circuit and applying power directly to the starter.

Archived