IGNORED

Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish vs Lemon Pledge

Shaolin Master Sergeant

Shaolin Master Sergeant

The Honda Polish and Pledge are cleaning staples in a lot of motorcyclists' garages especially if they don't like the idea of getting their bikes wet (hahaha, can you say ferrous bikes). Both perform similarly, produce similar results and are comparable in price. Both products can be used carefully to clean non-porous hard surfaces like paint, windshield, metal and plastic and leave a nice clean, shiny surface. However, I have a clear preference for the Honda Polish. It is easier to use because it requires much less wiping. Pledge leaves streaks so I need to wipe a few more strokes to get rid of these. So ease of use makes the Honda Polish my preferred product.

BTW, I use microfiber towels.

I have used the Honda Spray Cleaner until local Honda dealers stopped carrying it. Like all other Honda Chemical products an absolutely excellent product.

Now I use Motul Wash and Wax detailer: it's not as good as the Honda but it's the best product available locally.

If I really need to polish painted parts, however, nothing beats Menzerna SF4000: it's exactly the same thing BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls-Royce etc use to finish their high end cars at the factory. Very good on carbon parts too.

PS: which microfiber towel brand do you use? I am still to find a satisfactory one...

Thanks

Shaolin Master Sergeant

I just started using Honda spray in the last 3 months and I see it quite often. Just bought a can on Thursday actually at a Honda dealer.

I've used Menzerna Final Polish but not on my bike. Used it on my 10th Anniv Miata. I prefer Optimum Polish because it has a wide range of use. Starts off aggressive enough to do 98% of paint correction then progressively becomes finer the longer you work it. End result is almost as good as MFP.

I used to be picky about my microfiber towels but most of my workhorse towels are from Costco. Serviceable stuff.

Microfiber towel: Costco [i love the place] truly has a generic towel that is not good where its deposits can be seen - e.g. on your visor or sun shade.

I read something about a "closed-loop" towel and realize Costco brand is NOT. I may have one or two of these and they are very old - as in original, when microfiber first came out.

I don't see a problem when I wipe off the bike but not good for the helmet.

Shaolin Master Sergeant

Closed loop towels were the feature you looked for in cotton towels when they were the standard for detailing years back. But I agree that if you can get close loop microfiber, then that would be better.

Only times I get lint from my mf towels are when the wife washes them with other laundry.

Y'all need to come into the 21st Century. I discovered Optimum No-Rinse Car Wash a couple of years ago and it's the cat's meow. It can be used as a no-rinse car/motorcycle wash or you can mix a bit of it with some water in a spray bottle to create the best spray detailer you'll ever find.

I used to use the Honda Spray Cleaner/Polish and find this equally effective, while being a ton cheaper.

Shaolin Master Sergeant

I'm not entirely in the dark about Optimum. I use their polish. I use Protect All Quick n Easy Wash (similar to Optimum wash) because it was on sale and I haven't used up my supply to buy the Optimum version. The Honda spray is quicker than QEW and it leaves a wax film.

The Honda stuff was very effective, but Optimum does contain polymers that bond to the paint and increase shine/protectiveness. It doesn't, however, seem to be as quick at dissolving bugs. To do that, you need to let it sit on the surface a while.

I'm no chemist, but the Honda product seemed to just sit on the paint and washed away pretty quickly, whereas Optimum does seem to have some lasting protective qualities. Of course, none of these approaches really duplicates a proper wash and wax. Anyway, I find it a reasonable option...and one that's relatively economical.

Shaolin Master Sergeant

I have 5 layers of Klasse Sealant Glaze over a layer of Klasse All In One. The bottom half has Collinite 476s x2. So the Honda Spray is just for a quick wash/wax. I don't depend on it as my mainstay protective layer. If I did a full wash, I use Duragloss Aquawax as a gloss enhancer.

I love the Honda spray and have used it for years.......just be careful which can you grab.......

My best friend kept his Nighthawk in my garage. One day we were heading out for a ride with my brother, so my bro grabs a can of Honda polish to clean my buddies bike before he gets there.

He sprayed the tank and tail and then let in sit in for about 30 seconds. Grabbed an old t-shirt to wipe it off. But for some reason the shirt was kind of sticking to the tank. WTF!? He looks down and realized that he had just sprayed my friends tank and tail with clear-coat paint!

Luckily it all came off but after that we kept a close eye on what can we were grabbing!

I've used Menzerna Final Polish but not on my bike. Used it on my 10th Anniv Miata.

Your mention of Menzerna made me curious. I have a 1962 Ford Falcon that has 80K original miles and is very pretty. Did some research, then I went ahead and picked up SF4000 and their Carnauba Wax. All I can say is WOW! I was doing a bulb change out on the R1150RT when the UPS guy came. The bike was freshly washed and for kicks I did the front fender. No buffer, just applicator and microfiber cloth. It looks like glass. The bike gets more miles than the car, so I want to see how it holds up, but it looks fantastic. Thanks for the aside.

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought a can of the Honda Cleaner on your recommendation. It is good. I had been using BMW Detailer/Cleaner but the Honda spray seems to work better...cheaper too.

I've used the Honda spray cleaner, and it does a fine job. It's carnauba wax in a spray on form.

I like Plexus best, but it's getting real pricey.

At local BMW MOA meeting, an Amsoil dealer made a sales presentation and I bought their version of the spray. Jury is still out but initial impressions are good. Got it for $9 a can.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/cleaners-and-protectants/miracle-wash-waterless-wash-and-wax-spray/?code=AMWSC-EA

"**NOT AVAILABLE IN CANADA" What's up with that??????

I know pepper/bear spray was illegal in Canada, but motorcycle cleaner????? :rofl::lurk:

I know most of this thread is about painted surfaces but what do you use for the black, unpainted, plastic bits. Mine are turning a grayish color. Honda Polish only last a short while on the plastic bits.

I know most of this thread is about painted surfaces but what do you use for the black, unpainted, plastic bits. Mine are turning a grayish color. Honda Polish only last a short while on the plastic bits.

Secret recipe... silicone spray! :grin:

After having used it to revive my brother's much neglected GS plastic surfaces I can vouch for it.

Get hold of a good quality silicone spray (CRC Industrial is what I use), wash the bike, wait it to dry and spray on the unpainted surfaces. If it's the first time you do this, ride the bike as normal for a couple of weeks and then wash again to clean the excess silicone which will have surfaced by then and the dirt that will surely be trapped in there.

Your bike is now good for six months. Repeat at will.

Secret recipe... silicone spray! :grin:

After having used it to revive my brother's much neglected GS plastic surfaces I can vouch for it.

Get hold of a good quality silicone spray (CRC Industrial is what I use), wash the bike, wait it to dry and spray on the unpainted surfaces. If it's the first time you do this, ride the bike as normal for a couple of weeks and then wash again to clean the excess silicone which will have surfaced by then and the dirt that will surely be trapped in there.

Your bike is now good for six months. Repeat at will.

I have some high grade silicone oil in a bottle used to lubricate clock movements. I may try a little of that on a cloth to test a small spot.

Shaolin Master Sergeant

Detailers often say that silicone is bad for vinyl and rubber in vehicles. Heard stories that it accelerates cracking. It looks good in the short term though.

I use Klasse VRLP. If you Google it, you'll find my reviews under the name "beastie". It's an awesome German product. BTW, I'm a long-time user of Klasse stuff. German chemists are very good.

Just placed an order for

Klasse Vinyl, Leather, Rubber & Plasti

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine

from Auto Geek

I'll see how they work out.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

When Honda first introduced the Honda Spray Polish and cleaner in the early 90's it was great stuff. But then about 5 years ago there was an issue with the formula ...not sure what it was but some indicated it was a Calif. environmental issue ....again not sure but they stopped producing it for a short time. During that time Original Bike Spirits came out with their product and I actually me the guys at the Honda Hoot in Knoxville (May very well have been the last Hoot) and they indicated the Original Bike Spirits was the "original" formula used in the original Honda product. The new Honda product is just not as good as the original one or the product from Original Bike Spirits. I am extremely anal about my bikes and use the stuff ALL the time. Have tried dozens of other products but none work as good as this stuff.

Shaolin Master Sergeant

The change was the removal of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) from the products to make them non-toxic and/or be more environmentally friendly. A lot of detailing products that were really good either got dropped or reformulated initially, usually becoming less effective products. Then VOC-free formulations started coming out.

I just received a couple of spray cans of The Original Bike Spirits wax from Whitehorse.

It works great on the painted surfaces, but is it safe for the shield and other black plastic? Doesn't really say anything on the can.

Thanks

I just received a couple of spray cans of The Original Bike Spirits wax from Whitehorse.

It works great on the painted surfaces, but is it safe for the shield and other black plastic? Doesn't really say anything on the can.

Thanks

I have been using it on the shield and all plastic including the black surfaces for 6 years without any issues.

Thanks

The Original Bike Spirits Spray Polish is safe on just about any surface on the bike. As stated you can use it on all painted and plastic surfaces. BUT ... I find it does not perform as well on the "wrinkle finish" black plastic as other products. The very best product I have used on the wrinkle finish black stuff was a product called Black Chrome from Turtle Wax. Unfortunately they discontinued it some years ago. Have since tried all the others such as Back To Black and none are as good. The best 2 I currently use are Armour All Extreme Tire Gel and a product called Black Out that I was turned onto by a professional detailer staying at our Motel at Americade.

http://www.sitewavesstores5.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=cleancycle&Product_Code=BO&Category_Code=cleaners

http://www.midlandhardware.com/157629.html?gclid=CJmUtLz_h7sCFUgS7AodAQwAPw#.Upd8AtKTi_8

Hope this helps!

Archived