IGNORED

R1200RT rear fender extension not included??

nerdybiker

All,

Is that nifty rear fender extension that the owners manual talks about (and all the RT photos on the web show) not included on bikes for sale in the USA? My dealer is telling me that none of the bikes in their showroom have it and that BMW must have discontinued this item. My rear fender still shows a place for this adjustable extension, however, it's missing. I bought the bike that way. Any info? dopeslap.gif

The service manager told me they're not including the extension on bikes coming to the US. I had them order one for me, installed it last week. It extends the fender by 4" it's held on with one small bolt and nut under the license plate and the guides molded into the fender. There are several stops it can be retracted all the way up and not be visible. The part number is: 71607694184 - $24.95

628621-EXT%28Small%29.JPG

Up to a point these fender extenders came on the bike. My '02 R1150R has it. It was another stupid cost reduction step along with the no spare key and no tool kit policy.

Not included in UK either. I have an 05 1200RT delivered 1st sept 05. Bought the extender from my dealer about £15 pound inclusive of postage.

My buddy and I bought 05 RT's the same day last month and they didn't come with the extenders. I took the extender off my K1200GT before trading and it's the same unit, and is now on my RT.

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a part number or source for a front fender extender to keep some of the crap off the pipes and alternator cover?

Yeah, don't get me jived up about the no fender extender, spare key and tools. My 02 r1150r had all of that. I would like to have a chat with BMW's marketing dept. eek.gif

Same here in France! It has been removed! It is obvious that a 5 Euros piece of plastic is going to have a huge impact on the cost of a more than 16.000 Euros bike!

Oh by the way in France the board computer comes with the electronic oil gauge, which is an option! BUT if you don't want the oil gauge (option remember?) you can't have the board computer....hmmm Read my full test on the blog !

It's amusing to me how everyone gets so excited about a mud flap. No offence meant, but cumon!

Personally, I think the standard mudguard is too long and ugly, so I cut it off.

Yeah, don't get me jived up about the no fender extender, spare key and tools. My 02 r1150r had all of that. I would like to have a chat with BMW's marketing dept. eek.gif

I'm not sure if I could say, with a straight face, fender extenders and spare keys sway my vehicle purchasing decisions. And I'm not sure if its marketing problem because personally I never think of/notice this stuff until after the sale is complete dopeslap.gif

I purchased my '05 RT in December and it didn't have the rear extension. When I got home and read the entire owner's manual, I read about the rear extension. I then inquired the dealer about it and he didn't have an answer. He's supposed to be checking with BMW about it.

Concerning the front fender extender, I've been told they're not available yet for the new RT.

Good Riding,

Do you know if this emblem holder is only available from Santa Cruz BMW (ie is this their own manufactured item)?

I contacted my local dealer and he can't find anything similar.

I found the badge while browsing their site, don't know if it's commonly available, they are not displayed at my local dealership. I don't think the packaging was BMW factory. They ship to Canada, No Affiliations.

I'm not sure if I could say, with a straight face, fender extenders and spare keys sway my vehicle purchasing decisions. And I'm not sure if its marketing problem because personally I never think of/notice this stuff until after the sale is complete dopeslap.gif

It wouldn't have swayed my decision on the purchase of my bike, even if I did notice before buying thumbsup.gif Id like to have a little chat with someone then...ummm say..the dude that made the decision to make those options, who ever that is.

Got my 1200RT today and no rear flap extender, but I don't thinkitis needed either.

Otherwise what a differennce in two years . 04 1150R had great tools (I kept them) and now they charge 70 bucks for that same pack, it had three keys, now you have to ask for them, it had two manuals now you get all in one. But the bike is of course a better animal.

It's amusing to me how everyone gets so excited about a mud flap. No offence meant, but cumon!

For me it's not the price of the mud flap, it's the price of the mud flap.

It's not the price of the 2nd key, it's the price of the second key.

And so on...

The extra bucks are no big deal to me... BMW has made the mistake of making them a big deal to them. Shaving a few bucks here and there will do far more damage to their reputation than the extra $50 bucks a bike they may pull in by making these kinds of decisions - very poor form. It's just plain sloppy marketing to have an owner's manual showing items as standard features that aren't. It's just plain cheezy to charge for the second key. Some simple marketing research would have told them that the ROI on their charge-for-the-second-key idea was negative.

Rear fender extender or mud flap. I thought it wasn't a big deal, but I got it for FOC after a couple of attmpts. Because the owner's manual cleary states it's a STANDARD equipment, BMW customer service could not get away from it... I also like to mention that I kept tool-kit came with a 04 GT which I traded in.... Cost reduction and dummy polcy.. huuuum.

When I first saw the new R1200RT in the show room last spring the saleman made a point of showing me the mudflap extension on the model on display. When mine came in it didn't have a mudflap extension. I showed him my bike and he said they'd order me one and charge it to their warranty dept. it's now on and I'm also going to get the cool emblem holder from BMW Santa Cruz smile.gif

By the way, my BMW dealer kept telling me that mud flat was optional equipment for later 05 and on. After the several conversions with BMW JAPAN(Importer)customer service reps, I'm now convinced what they're claiming was true(at least for Japanese models) They also told me the owner's manual is being revised.

Question to the folks on 06 models though. What does your manual say about splash gurard? OE or standard?

(Doesn't matter to me anymore, since I got one for free.. but still curious about it.) smile.gif

• 2 months later...
I bought the Emblem Holder with Deluxe Emblem from BMW of Santa Cruz for

$29.95. Their part number is: 4601002

Warren, did you have to use different screws to get the emblem holder attached where it is? I got my bike back from storage yesteray and when I looked at putting the emblem holder on the screws aren't long enough.

Tealc

Great job! I admire your ingenuity and thanks for including pics. I think I will give it a go myself. Cheers!

Hi,

Sadly was not my ingenuity, just copied from the link.

Warren, did you have to use different screws to get the emblem holder attached where it is? I got my bike back from storage yesteray and when I looked at putting the emblem holder on the screws aren't long enough.

The screws that were included worked. Make sure you have the nut in the molded in holder. Hope that helps.

Warren, worked like a charm after I removeed the fender extender frown.gif

I'm going to wait for some warmer weather before I put the rondelle on. Did you use extra ghlue or just what was on the back of the emblem?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the BMW part number. When I asked the dealer for the extension that did not come on my 05 rt, they said that contrary to the manual - it is NOT standard.

I'd like to look into getting one. Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks

Archived