IGNORED

The infamous oil saga

GordonB

Where does it go???? Did an oil change, put 2000 on the odometer, added 16oz of oil (about normal for my bike), rode 275 miles on Saturday and I need another 16 plus oz???. It's gotta be in there somewhere, it's hiding, all the oil dances in the world won't help me. I think I'll ignore it and just ride...

And it ain't in the air box

Kinda like a TBS, much easier if you turn the sensitivity down on the Twin Max grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Where does it go????
Well the two most likey answers are onto the pavement or into the air. grin.gif
I think I'll ignore it and just ride...
Now you're talkin'. thumbsup.gif

Mine used to do the same exact thing. But I noticed that when I went out, and did more than a 10 mile run, it'd show up in the window just fine. Anything less, it didn't show up at all. Go figure.

Pat

"Mine used to do the same exact thing. But I noticed that when I went out, and did more than a 10 mile run, it'd show up in the window just fine. Anything less, it didn't show up at all. Go figure"

The manual says that you should check the oil only after the engine is up to normal operating temperature and then let it sit for about 5 minutes prior to checking the sight glass.

Since the boxer engine uses a "dry sump" it takes a while for the oil to flow back into the sump, where the sightglass resides. If I check my oil with a cold engine, it will be well below the fill mark. If I check it just after stopping, it will be below the fill mark. If I check it level, after fueling it up, or about 5 min after parking it in the garage, the oil level is always right in the middle of the glass. I don't know all the nuances of the dry sump, but I do know that it makes a difference to check it per the German's instructions.

Since the boxer engine uses a "dry sump"

Bzzzzzz!!!!

Wet Sump.

--------added later---------------

While a smalll amount of oil is captured in places that need to drain back to the sump (mostly the oil cooler) both oil pumps draw oil from the the one oil sump at the bottom of the engine.

Stan

Archived