IGNORED

2013 RT horn swap

John in VA

My 2013 RT single horn is lame. I miss the excellent dual horns on my old 06 RT. I've read good write-ups here on retrofitting the earlier dual horns on later RTs.

I got the horn pair and started mounting them but I cannot find a second horn power connector on the wiring harness. I found what appears to be the nav power connector.

Has anybody else found the second horn connector on a 2013? Did BMW eliminate it? I could rig up a series off the single connector, but that's a pain.

When I ordered my 2012 RT I spec'd out a horn setup like the 2006 RT. The shop manager told me after delivery that he had to install the wiring to the second horn because it was eliminated by BMW prior. I did not receive a part number for the wiring but your dealer should be able to help you.

Good luck.

Thanks, I'll look into wiring. I crawled around searching everywhere for that second connector. I did install the high horn to replace the stock hockey puck. Even just that's a huge difference in sound.

I agree the factory horn it pretty much a joke. Seems to be par for the course on motorcycles these days. The only exception I've personally seen to that was the Harley I traded off for my R1200RT. What I'm wondering is, did the dealer just run their own wiring for the second horn or was it a factory extension of some kind? I would like to upgrade the horn on my bike too. It's nice to know the single horn is such an improvement but I wouldn't mind doing the dual horn setup. I was thinking just running the wires straight off the battery to a relay while using the factory power lead as a trigger for the relay.

What do you think?

Ride Safe,

Steve R.

Hi Steve

Yeah that should work. Wondering whether the stock hot wire can handle a parallel setup for both horns, but I guess it should.

Hi Steve

Yeah that should work. Wondering whether the stock hot wire can handle a parallel setup for both horns, but I guess it should.

All the stock wire would have to handle is energizing the relay. The power to operate the horns themselves would be coming straight from the battery through the relay and not from the factory wire. I don't imagine the relay would pull as much power as the factory horn would but I don't know that for certain. I guess it would depend on the relay. (??)

Right about the relay/OEM trigger power. I meant I was wondering if a parallel wiring run from the single OEM connector without a relay/battery hookup would be ok.

Morning John

It s-h-o-u-l-d work, just not great, as long as the horns aren't high current draw horns.

You are asking a lot of those small .75mm horn wires to carry both horn current loads on a single wire (think resistor)

The stock (real early) 1200 hexhead dual horns ran off the same switch but the ZFE (chassis computer) had a separate output circuit wire for each horn.

They (both horns) also used separate ground wires to the remote chassis grounding point.

You will soon know if it will work as too much horn load will trip the internal circuit breaker in the ZFE computer.

I would imagine that using that one single horn wire to drive both horns will give you reduced horn performance due to reduced supply voltage but my guess is that it will work for short toots. Longer blasts might very well blow the over-current protection & that will require key-off the restart to reset.

Also worth considering is the sketchy performance of the "up-dated" switch gear, which includes the horn button. Reports of horn button problems (including my 2011 RT) indicate a marginal design. Running two horns, or maybe even just one high-volume unit, off the original wiring and horn button might make that issue worse. When cell dialing-latte drinking soccer mom moves into your lane at 70 mph you need lots of loud!

pete

Afternoon Pete

Adding a 2nd horn should have no real effect on the horn switch.

Unlike the older BMW's, on the newer 1200 hexhead/camhead bikes, when you push the horn button all you are doing is telling the computer to honk the horn or horns. The load on the handlebar switch is the same no matter the number of horns.

Afternoon Pete

Unlike the older BMW's, on the newer 1200 hexhead/camhead bikes, when you push the horn button all you are doing is telling the computer to honk the horn or horns. The load on the handlebar switch is the same no matter the number of horns.

The single new (old) high pitch horn doesn't seem to flinch when I give it a longggg blast. Much better than the '13 horn. For the low horn I'll probably rig a relay from the battery.

Taking a while to get used to the switch gear. Occasionally I'll brush the grip or seat heater switch and I'll have to search for the tiny heater icon to see if it's on and at what level. The old switch gear was not as easily tripped and you could tell their settings by feel. And stretching/lifting my thumb to cancel the turnsignals almost requires pulling my left palm off the grip -- and I have long thumbs. Who designs such crap? I realize standards had to be met, but I can't imagine that the standards require the dang switch to stick way out so far. Anyway, the gear is a step backward and I can't help whining about it on such an otherwise good bike.

Anyone added a Stebel Nautilus to their RT? I have added those to many motorcycles, but can never figure out where to do so on the RTs. Sure would like one; they sound great.

When I've installed them I've always had they relay-activated via the original horn button to eliminate any amp problems.

Afternoon Pete

That's interesting and useful info, DR. Thanks! A horn upgrade is on my to-do list (it's been there for over 2 years!) so I'll be digging into the nose of my RT shortly. May try just a single horn replacement or may go for the gold with a relay and dual beepers.

Loud horns save lives.

pete

Guest Kakugo
Anyone added a Stebel Nautilus to their RT? I have added those to many motorcycles, but can never figure out where to do so on the RTs. Sure would like one; they sound great.

When I've installed them I've always had they relay-activated via the original horn button to eliminate any amp problems.

To fit a Nautilus or a similar horn (FIAMM Master Blaster) you'll just need to cobble together something like this . Plug in the existing horn connector, connect to horn and you are ready to go.

To fit a Nautilus or a similar horn (FIAMM Master Blaster) you'll just need to cobble together something like this . Plug in the existing horn connector, connect to horn and you are ready to go.

Thanks for the link. However, that web page indicates the Steble won't fit my model BMW, darn it. That's the problem with a nicely faired motorcycle - no easy place to connect a big ol' air horn. :cry:

Guest Kakugo

Thanks for the link. However, that web page indicates the Steble won't fit my model BMW, darn it. That's the problem with a nicely faired motorcycle - no easy place to connect a big ol' air horn. :cry:

Then get the FIAMM. :grin:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Thanks for the link. However, that web page indicates the Steble won't fit my model BMW, darn it. That's the problem with a nicely faired motorcycle - no easy place to connect a big ol' air horn.

Can't find it right now. Search and you should find a two component stebel type horn that does fit.

Richard Prince

If you haven't spent the money on a an Air horn yet. check out Sierra BMW. They have a kit for the 1600 that will work on the 13 RTs. It's a Stebel Magnum @ 139 db with a plug to connect to the stock 13 RT horn plug. I got it from Valk Motorsport in Denmark, but you can get it in the US.

I added the older RT 2 horn set up on a 2012 RT with no problem. You need the BMW high and low horns from the 2005-06 RT's, and a BMW connector harness. I can't find the part # now but a search here should bring up all the details about how to do this. I spliced the connector wire from the second horn into the wire on the OEM horn and everything worked fine. No relay needed and never had a fault. AND very loud.

I added the older RT 2 horn set up on a 2012 RT with no problem. You need the BMW high and low horns from the 2005-06 RT's, and a BMW connector harness. I can't find the part # now but a search here should bring up all the details about how to do this. I spliced the connector wire from the second horn into the wire on the OEM horn and everything worked fine. No relay needed and never had a fault. AND very loud.

Great help, thanks. I'll try that.

I added the older RT 2 horn set up on a 2012 RT with no problem.

Question ...

On the original chassis the center horn mounting tab was designed for the 2-horn configuration and when the pancake single horn was fitted an additional adapter bracket was used to turn the mount 90 degrees. On the facelift chassis the frame tab is already 90 degrees and perhaps the adapter is needed when fitting the dual horn. Did you do this or encounter a problem in this regard?

The Wolo Bad Boy (looks like a re-labeled Stebel) horn fits behind left top fairing panel (behind the roundel) with a small easily made bracket. Kit comes with the relay, just left stock horn working and paralleled relay coil with it. Fused power from battery and you can blast away at 129 decibels. $33.87 from Amazon, had mine on my 2010 RT since first week and another on my 2004 CL for 4 years with no problems.

http://www.amazon.com/Wolo-Model-419-Bad-Horn/dp/B000F5DQWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377778798&sr=8-1&keywords=wolo+bad+boy+horn

• 11 months later...
The Rocketman

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't know where else to post this. I just bought an '09 R1200RT with the wimpy pancake horn. Read a gazillion threads about installing dual tone '05 RT horns. They list new from the dealer now for $ 63.55 and $53.55.

The p/n 61338381271 is the low pitch 420Hz for $ 63.55

The p/n 61337655882 is the high pitch 510Hz for $ 53.37

There is another Low Pitch p/n 61337655881 which is NLA from BMW and the dealer couldn't tell me if it was comparable to the 271 model. It was for older RT's.

I called Bosch in Minnesota and they confirmed they are the exact same horn, with the 271 part number superceding the 881 part number.

I just picked up a set of 881 & 882's from a 2003 R1150RT on Ebay for $25.00!!

Think that's a score.

Just search on Ebay under "BMW RT horns" and there are several other sets still available.

Guest Kakugo

Just a quick heads up: the twin horn used on early Hexhead RT's is exactly the same as used on the fourth series 5-series sedan and wagon (E39). You may get lucky at the local breaker's yard. ;)

The Rocketman

Correct. I did contact www.BMWPARTSUPPLY.COM that sells BMW car parts. They sell one of the horns for $10 less than the bike dealer. Could not get the other horn, as it is specifically a motorcycle part number and they can only buy BMW auto parts from BMW.

Here's the e-mail I received:

"The #271 we can get it also fits 5 series vehicles but the #882 that is showing to only fit motorcycles so that one we are unable to get, if the part is only for motorcycles bmw will block them from us."

Archived