IGNORED

2013 K1600 GTL: what a bike

Shaolin Master Sergeant

Shaolin Master Sergeant

Been 3 months and almost 5500 miles riding through the hottest part of the summer and the record rainfall in New Jersey. This bike spoils me. Very comfortable yet very capable, powerful and safe. Weather protection has been wonderful and the "Rain" mode keeps the beast under control in slicker conditions. The lights are quite good in deer country. My wife says that the front lights (halo/HID headlight/2 LED foglights) make it look like a freight train is coming at you. Adaptive headlights work nicely as they aim the light through the corner. It is filled with BMW's latest tech gizmos but the wheel controller on the left grip keeps things simple and easily accessible. The right fun grip is a bit touchy sometimes at slow speeds but the throttle by wire works nicely otherwise. Throttle by wire also allows cruise control that works even crawling at 25mph residential zones. As smooth as the engine is, my right hand gets numb often from high frequency vibration (I had a 2010 Harley Super Glide previously whose vibes were bigger amplitude but lower frequency and less numbing). The seating works very well for me and the lower 29" seat height made getting a BMW possible for me at 5'7", 30' inseam. I get my kicks going to local bike nights and getting silent stares from the V-twin crowd. They bite their tongue once they learn how much I ride my bike. I've yet to take the bike on a really long ride but I'm looking forward to the chance. Ciao and see you around.

SMS, glad you are loving your Beemer. Interesting your comment on the right hand numbness. Really unrealistic to have no vibes at the handle bars if the six does it too. I love my BMW twin, but the buzz at the bars on longer hwy rides is tiresome. My bike has an excellent headlight also. Everywhere around my area is deer country too. Until the headlight can vaporize a deer carcass in flight, I'll be wary of the night rides. :wave:

Shaolin Master Sergeant

Not so sure now if it really is vibes or the smaller diameter of the grip but my hands do get numb more noticeably than the Harley. Thank goodness for cruise control.

I don't know how to decode that last comment. Maybe the scotch got to him.

If the bar diameter is a contributing factor, the grip puppies may be your easy solution. The heated grips work fine with them BTW. I have them on my bike and they do help some. My problem is longer rides in a day's time.

Not so sure now if it really is vibes or the smaller diameter of the grip but my hands do get numb more noticeably than the Harley. Thank goodness for cruise control.

I don't know how to decode that last comment. Maybe the scotch got to him.

He's referring to older K1200RS/GT's with the "brick" motor and rubber engine mounts.

I don't currently own a K bike, but owned one previously. I discovered "Grab On" grip covers with my RT. They make the puny stock BMW hand grips much more tolerable. They're not too thick and provide a bit of cushion as well. I rented an R1200GSA last year--and rediscovered pain and numbness in less than an hour's riding. In every other regard, that GSA was a great bike (OK except for being really tall, and very top heavy). I loved it, but those grips drove me crazy.

Here's a link:

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=76265

These are made of EPDM foam, and appear to resist UV from sun light--unlike neoprene. Not sure if they're compatible with heated grips. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

no problemo. i too have had wrist issues. i wrapped my skinny grips with bicycle wrap. you can get it as thick as you like by wrapping more or less. works fine with heated grips, rain doesn't bother it. tackier as well so i think that helps as less pressure is required to keep the throttle open.

i too preferred the 1 inch diameter harley grips. better leverage, more to hold on to.

Archived