IGNORED

Recommended Ohlin Shocks

ndfellow

Well beings I now believe I'm keeping my 2000 RT, I've decide to give it some TLC this winter. One of the items on my list is some new shock and all I've ready about is Ohlins and everybody loves them. My question is, which model or type do you recommend, front and back for my 2000 RT?

Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Justin,

My advice is to go to a reptable bike suspension tech and ask them to set the bike up (or just supply the shocks) for the type of riding you do.

Apart from performance, when choosing shocks I found that other important elements were:

1. the expected period between rebuilds.

2. the amount of latitude in the preload settings.

3. the ease of adjustment in both preload and damping.

For your R1100RT, Ohlins recommends the 46ER front and 46DRLS rear.

Justin -

I recently upgraded to Ohlins and next to buying a Russell seat it was the best thing I ever did to the RT. "Tool Man" Mike sent me some inx on the set-up, and the DIY install was truly a breeze. I can heartily recommend Kyle Racing to handle your Ohlins purchase as my experience with them was fantabulous. Make sure to discuss with them your ride habits and load specifications so they can put the right springs on there.

I don't think you can go wrong with Works or Wilber's either - do a search on this forum and you'll run into plenty of info.

OK so any recommendations with my type of riding or is that something that only a distributor can give me?

Lots of straight, flat, long rides. There are a few curves in ND/SD/MN but not very many. I do a few tours over the coarse of the year, sometimes with a passenger and luggage and sometimes not. On that same not sometimes I have a passenger on rides and sometimes not.

Thanks!

The main consideration for selecting the right spring is weight, and the distributor can/should help with that. If you aren't overly concerned with how the bike will react fully loaded and fully heeled over chasing David Baker through the Appalachians with your beloved wife on the back, then look to save some bucks with the Wilbers or Works. (that is not meant to imply that they are any less effective than the Ohlins, but that cool yellow spring is pricey!)

... look to save some bucks with the Wilbers or Works. Ohlins, but that cool yellow spring is pricey!)

It looks like a set of Wilbers or Works runs $1200-1500. How much more are Ohlins? If you're spending over a $$grand$$ on shocks, what's a couple of hundred bucks matter? confused.gif

Well beings I now believe I'm keeping my 2000 RT, I've decide to give it some TLC this winter. One of the items on my list is some new shock and all I've ready about is Ohlins and everybody loves them. My question is, which model or type do you recommend, front and back for my 2000 RT?

Öhhh mannn.

I just spent 3 hours yesterday installing new Ohlins on my 31k-mile RT but didn't get to ride until today. The difference in ride SHOCKED me. I took all the well-known bumps around my neighborhood -- countersunk manhole covers, asphalt buckles, sloppy patch jobs -- most of which passed under the wheels with NO effect on the bikeframe. I am completely amazed at the technology that makes this possible. I was having fun aiming for road ruts and laughing under my helmet. Bumps I know well that used to cause the whole bike to shudder were not just smoothed over but were almost imperceptible. Big bumps were absorbed in a controlled way without upsetting the track. Heading out on the Interstate, the ride is luxuriously smooth yet controlled and firm. These shocks will extend my touring time, most definitely.

Works or other brands may be just as effective, but Ohlins absolutely rule, IMO, and worth every penny of the $1250 they cost.

I now understand why BMW will be offering Ohlins (along with non-servo/non-linked brakes!) on the R1200S.

With a Techlusion and Ohlins, my RT is now a totally different bike than the one I bought almost 2 years ago. It's now what an oilhead should be! thumbsup.gif

BTW -- THANKS very much to Tool Man Mike for tips on setup.

Love mine! Contact Cary's Marin BMW . I'm pretty sure he will ship them to you set up for your weight and riding style. Thats what he did for me 2 years ago. I ordered them from him when I visited his shop.

... look to save some bucks with the Wilbers or Works. Ohlins, but that cool yellow spring is pricey!)

It looks like a set of Wilbers or Works runs $1200-1500. How much more are Ohlins? If you're spending over a $$grand$$ on shocks, what's a couple of hundred bucks matter? confused.gif

Wilbers with front, back and back adjustment is $1200 or so. What are people spending on Ohlins and are they that much better or are you paying for "Ohlins" logo and the yellow paint?

Wilbers with front, back and back adjustment is $1200 or so. What are people spending on Ohlins and are they that much better or are you paying for "Ohlins" logo and the yellow paint?

A set of Ohlins cost me $1258 plus $30 shipping. Nobody can see the yellow paint under the RT unless they're looking for it.

Archived