IGNORED

Doggone Light Bulbs

RTJohn

My bike has been flawless except for one thing...light bulbs! Seems that one or the other headlights, H7s, go out every few months. Three weeks ago I replaced the left, yesterday I replaced the right one. Being right handed, working on the right side lamp takes three times as long as the left side. I'm pretty clumsy with my left hand.

One theory is that the bulbs blow on start-up and that bulb life can be extended by letting all the initializing complete before hitting the starter button. I use the initialization time to buckle my helmet and pull on my gloves. Can't swear it works, but it can't hurt.

Morning John

That is a common thing on the BMW's that use H-7 bulbs.

One thing you soon learn is that when one burns out just go ahead & replace both while you are at it.

You are correct in that the L/H is relatively easy but the R/H is more difficult for a right handed person.

I'm pretty ambidextrous & still struggle with the R/H bulb in the 1200RTs.

What I have found is the R/H is much easier if done sitting/kneeling in front of the bike reaching up through above the fender.

In any case, bulb choice can go a long was in prolonging H-7 life in the BMW 1200RT.

H-7 bulbs use a short tightly wound filament so by design their life is usually shorter (especially in motorcycle usage)

I have tried a bunch of different bulbs in my 1200RT & so far the cheapest ones seem to hold up longer than the BMW OEM or any of the high output types.

Some swear by the Osram H-7 65 watt "rallye" (that is an H-9 bulb on an H-7 base). I have tried those in my personal 1200RT & a few of my riding friends bikes. For me personally they haven't lasted any longer than stock but one on my riding friends is going on a year now with a set of those & so far so good.

My best so far has been cheap standard output H-7 bulbs.

Guest Kakugo

A while after buying my RT I came across a 2005 owner whose bike had about 100,000km on clocks. He asked me "Are you happy with the bike?" I said "Yes, except it eats light bulbs for breakfast". "Mine used to do it as well but stopped at around 80,000km". Believe it or not he was right: light bulb consumption has taken reasonable proportions since I reached the 60,000km mark.

I have heard other people saying the same thing (bulbs lasting much longer the higher the mileage) but I can offer no explanation for it... :dopeslap:

Afternoon Kakugo

It could be as simple as, that by 60,000km that the rider has found some bulbs that work (my 1200RT bulb life is way better than when the bike was new but that is mainly due to me finding cheap standard bulbs that are more durable).

Or, by 60,000km the shocks are worn out so the bike doesn't jar those H-7 fragile filaments.

Or possibly by 60,000km the rider has a better battery than OEM that absorbs voltage surge better.

Or, maybe just good old good luck --

Camhead in STL

I wonder about people that will pay $15 per bulb and replace both every few hundred hours when you can get a complete dual-bulb HID system from DDM Tuning for $30 (or $40 for 55W unit) that is TONS brighter, lasts 10x longer and uses less power. Oh, and TWO replacement bulbs, should you need them are $15.

Guest Kakugo
Afternoon Kakugo

It could be as simple as, that by 60,000km that the rider has found some bulbs that work (my 1200RT bulb life is way better than when the bike was new but that is mainly due to me finding cheap standard bulbs that are more durable).

Or, by 60,000km the shocks are worn out so the bike doesn't jar those H-7 fragile filaments.

Or possibly by 60,000km the rider has a better battery than OEM that absorbs voltage surge better.

New shocks at 50000km, same Osram bulbs... only thing I changed in the meantime is the battery. :)

Afternoon Kakugo

New shocks at 50000km, same Osram bulbs... only thing I changed in the meantime is the battery. :)

I've only got 34K miles on my 2011 RT so it may be too new yet but in the 140K miles I had my 2007 RT, I did not notice much change in bulb life. Bulb life was generally about 18-20K while I owned it.

BTW, I don't believe in "if one bulb blows, replace the other one also because it will blow soon". In my experience, that might happen or you might go 2K or more before it happens.

I wonder about people that will pay $15 per bulb and replace both every few hundred hours when you can get a complete dual-bulb HID system from DDM Tuning for $30 (or $40 for 55W unit) that is TONS brighter, lasts 10x longer and uses less power. Oh, and TWO replacement bulbs, should you need them are $15.

I went to HID for a few reasons; better night time vision, better daytime conspicuity, and long bulb life. So far, a complete success on all three accounts.

Archived