IGNORED

Hand guards for K 12 RS ?

The Cap'n

Has anyone found a handguard that will work for a K 1200 RS? Mine is a '98, and I would like to have such an accessory for blocking rain and also to extend the riding season.

Even in looking at "universal" handguards, it is clear that the mounting hardware would not fit the Beemer's handlebar configuration.

Any suggestions?

Riding season?

Are you talking wet or cold?

Better gloves (heated) inside Aerostich Triple Digit gloves

extends my zone into teens.

Using the insulated Aerostitch set up would be even warmer.

Throw on some silk glove liners too.

link

Here's your answer but it might need a bit of work on your part- went out to the garage to look at the K1200RS and my 3 other BMWs, all fitted with handguards except the K12RS

The Barkbuster S7 (US source Twisted Throttle) will work on your bike either "as sold" or with some modification. I have it fitted to 3 BMWs with the Magura controls (which your bike has) and one of those required some extra work while the other 2 did not.

The extra work, if needed, will consist of making the proper bar end weight to get the spacing correct. For example, in fitting them to the SO's R1100S, I had to bore a set of end weights meant for a K12GT to a proper diameter and depth for fitting over the bar end- that made the spacing correct and they fit fine.

I have not removed a set and tried it on my K12RS- got to leave you a bit to do- but I suspect there's an even up chance they fit "as bought". If not, get out a caliper, measure what you need for a bar weight, get some used ones or the ones you have to modify, and get a local machine shop to bore / cut if for you if you lack the tools.

Pretty easy, really....

Oh, for those who don't know, shields like this extend the low temp use of any glove by about 10 degrees and work very well with heated grips. For me, they allow relatively thin gloves like the Held Steve to be used at temps down to about 37 degrees but I was born/raised up north so am not as cold sensitive as native southerners. I don't like the added thickness of electrics or more insulated gloves if they can be avoided and with these shields it means I use them only when its approaching freezing or lower. When down in the low 20s (as cold as it gets where I live), the insulateds like the BMW Winter Glove are plenty with the shields in place and unlike most electrics, they are waterproof

tallman,

If you're coming up to F.A.R.T. in Sept you can see Becky's bike then but in fact you already did. It was the blue R1100S owned by the woman you guys spoke to at the end of UN- I was riding my blue 08 RT.

In the meantime, here's how you find the thread I wrote on that install over at the MOA site a long time ago

In google search, type in "r1100s barkbuster" without the quotes.

It will bring up a text version of the thread that includes a link to the original posting.

Click on that link to get the original complete with pics, a more lengthy explanation, etc....

Go to Twisted Throttle and locate the Barkbuster S-7 page for basic info on it.

These are SOP on all my touring machinery with Maguras or similar which alone ought to tell you what I think about them.

10-4

I recall the bike.

Fortunately less than a month ago so I can remember that far

kinda sorta.

Thanks.

Just know I probably don't know what I am talking about but my wife isn't here to give me her loving nudge to be quiet.

When I add the upper fairing extensions to my 03 K12RS, the clearance for the regular mount bars works pulled back but is close. In the lower position everything clears but just barely. I will use a pair of hippo/polar hands bar gauntlets. They will work but will rub / snug on the edge of the fairing against the levers in the down position. With the low bar mounts 98-01 or so set up high, the clearance is the same as the bottom range of the other bar mounts. With them in the low position they will depress themselves slightly when doing a lock turn. (without the handlebar gauntlets).

Now I realize you have the GT which moves the bars back another 1.5 inches or so and thus you might have room for the hand guards. It will be a tight i think. Easy most likely without the fairing extension, but tight with them IMHO. But then I have an RS so what do I know.. eh?

All that to say...

I hear you might be doing better, and that's always good news.

NCS

Yeah you do need to watch for clearance issues and I haven't done this, yet, on a Kbrick GT. Works on a wedge GT, an R1100S and my 08 RT but ALL of those have barbacks and larger windscreens than stock. The tightest is the R1100S which just makes it lock to lock without anything hitting the tank. On the RT they just touch the VStream at full lock but are no issue in use.

I didn't notice any potential problems on the K-RS in the garage but it also has barbacks and what might be aftermarket bar ends- they're stainless and pretty heavy- though its former owner did track days with it so I don't know why he'd have wanted the weights which slow transition handling...

Archived