IGNORED

2013 R1200 RT Additional lights assistance

JoePhoenix

(I am sure this has been asked before but did not see it in a quick search if so please direct me to the correct post)

I am planning on adding some additional lights to my RT but am unsure what may be the best set of lights to get (make & model). Does anyone have any before/after images of WHAT THE RIDER SEES with your additional lighting setups? I really have no real clue what this lumens compares to that lumens when it comes to how it will change what I can see at night. Mostly I am finding images of the lights on the bike, not how it changes things.

FWIW, I just put Clearwarer Krista lights on my 2013 RT. They are awesome. You can see with/without pictures at http://clearwaterlights.com/infopg_krista.html,

Based on my experience, those photos are accurate. I have PIAA lights in the three stock sockets and the difference when turning on the Kristas is unbelievable. One of my best MC additions ever.

JMHO

Thanks Mike, Its a good start. I was curious, in part to all 4 of the Clearwater lights, as I have no 'real' clue what the different lumens mean in the real world. (ex Glenda vs Erica vs Krista).

I have the Clearwater Glenda set, mounted (just barely) inboard on my Z-technik cylinder head crash bars, and they are super fine. Mainly got them to increase visibility / conspicuity to oncoming cagers, and so far -- knock wood -- they're doing the trick. Build quality is very high, and I like that they don't draw much power at all. Mounted as they are, they don't look goofy or out of place either, which is a plus.

I would caution anyone who's considering a larger light set that it's very unlikely that you'll be able to mount them on the Z-techniks without them sticking out a bit, and hence being vulnerable to damage in a tip-over or spill. That said, there are certainly other mounting options. Hope this helps.

I got a reply from Clearwater concerning their lights w/ a couple images which I will share here for others who may encounter the same questions I have. Granted they did not include any images from Glenda, but standard low beam vs their Krista s & Ericas.

Low beams on bike

Low%20Beam-sm.JPG

Kristas

1%20Krista-sm.JPG

Ericas

Erica-sm.JPG

I have Glendas down low and Kristas up top. It's all the light I need. The Ericas came out a couple of weeks after I did my Krista install but judging by my experience so far, I can't imagine them being that much more useful in the real world outside of running Baja or Dakar. Clearwater lights are incredible quality and they're good folks there, buy with confidence.

texasaggie97

Ditto, I have Kristas on my RT and they are like driving with Q-beams. The only problem is now I can see all the deer that I have been missing. I was riding in the Texas hill country and fired these babies up and the bar ditch was full of deer. Wow I could not see them till I turned these lights on. Clearwater lights are great. The only issue I have is the dimmer switch on my bike will malfunction when it gets wet.

I'll join in on the praise for Clearwater Krista lights. I got a set installed at the BMW MOA Rally and rode with them the first time at night early last Sunday morning leaving Paonia, CO after the Top Of The Rockies rally. As I rode Hwy 92 down towards Hwy 50, I saw numerous dear and other wildlife, most of which I wouldn't have seen without them. I have Motolights down low for being seen and the Krista's up higher for seeing. I should also mention that since I was first in line for the install, Glen gave me free install and free brackets. Thanks!

I have the Clearwater Glenda set, mounted (just barely) inboard on my Z-technik cylinder head crash bars, and they are super fine. Mainly got them to increase visibility / conspicuity to oncoming cagers, and so far -- knock wood -- they're doing the trick. Build quality is very high, and I like that they don't draw much power at all. Mounted as they are, they don't look goofy or out of place either, which is a plus.

I have the Z-technik guards......Do you have any pics you could share?

Archived