IGNORED

Trans. oil for R1200RT ??

mrzoom

What kind and weight and why? I've got Redline heavy on hand. Is it too heavy of a weight for the new trans??

It's vinter and I've just got to do some kind of work on the bike !!!! dopeslap.gif

What kind - Brand name hypoid-gear lubricant

Weight - SAE 90 API GL 5

Why - Because that's what the service manual calls forgrin.gif

I know what you me about winter. I hate it because all I can do to the bikes is wrench and buy stuff and then wait until spring to ride and find out the stuff I bought really isn't what I want dopeslap.gif

In my R1100RT I used the Redline Heavy oil. It did noticeably improve shifting, but got stiffer to shift on cold days. Now in the six speed R1150R I don't use it, because compared it shifts very nicely anyways. I personally would not use it in the R1200, they are nice shifters even with stock oil. I would use a 75/90 or 75/140 synthetic gear oil.

Had dealer install BMW synthetic in my transmission at 6000 mile warranty check. Forget the weight at the moment. However, transmission shifts noticeably more smoothly with the synthetic, almost Suzukasaki-ish! thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the reponses. 75w-90 syn. it is. Now if I look hard enough in the garage I might have some of that in stock too clap.gif. I always buy way too much of all the things I think I might need for the bike. Result is the lawn mower, snow blower and other assorted engine stuff here gets the drips and remains from the 1/2 qt bottles but it is the best money can buy. thumbsup.gif

Archived