IGNORED

Great windscreen saga

Ken/OC

Beemerman2K (AKA BM2K, AKA James) had a non-working windscreen and no place to wrench, so he braved the rain to come to my place. He came armed with new relays and a new switch. However, after he pulled off the right valve cover, neither of could figure where the switch was supposed to plug in!

beemerman2k.jpg

So we did some chants and the windscreen worked again! Since things were apart anyway, we also did a valve adjust, TB sync, and oil change. Or more accurately, BM2K did. My role was mostly confined to:

1. Worrying that the bike would fall over.

2. Stepping on various bolts and parts and mixing them up.

3. Offering advice ranging from unsound to incorrect.

4. Pushing tupperware when I should have been pulling.

5. Worrying that oil would get on the garage floor.

6. Etc.

These various activities fall under the general heading of "supervision." Many of you will be familiar with this term. grin.gif

All went back together with only one screw left over, a record. The bike ran as well as when BM2K rode over, a triumph!

A very enjoyable mini-Tech Day. Need to do this more often!

Bike fall over??? that only happens when you take the kick stand off while it is holding the bike up...I presume Jim told you??? --Jerry

...that only happens when you take the kick stand off while it is holding the bike up...I presume Jim told you???

I believe he mentioned that he was *under* the bike at that point... eek.gif

russell_bynum

1. Worrying that the bike would fall over.

2. Stepping on various bolts and parts and mixing them up.

3. Offering advice ranging from unsound to incorrect.

4. Pushing tupperware when I should have been pulling.

5. Worrying that oil would get on the garage floor.

6. Etc.

Sounds like you've been reading from the same Tech Daze instruction manual that I have. thumbsup.gif

I'm home safe and sound, too. Thanks Ken, I had a great time! You have a lovely home and a beautiful wife. You are greatly blessed my friend.

Thanks for all the help, too. Ken is being quite modest; he did quite a bit more than he mentions. My bike is running like a champ thanks to his advice and suggestions, which I gratefully recieved.

Oh, and yeah Jerry, I did tell him about our kickstand experience dopeslap.gif

The skies were quite clear in Orange County, yet it was pouring rain as I rode into Los Angeles. I got on the 110 north and got off the highway to put on my rainsuit. Rode the 105 west for a mile and the skies cleared up! Oh well.

Thanks again, Ken! thumbsup.gif

Oh, and wouldn't you know, my windshield has worked perfectly all the way home. Hmmm, musta been the motor oil...needed changin' I guess...

What about the windshield problem? It cured itself by removing and reinstalling the tupperware? Loose connector? Tell me more

I honestly have no idea why it stopped working when it did, and why it resumed working now. On my way to Ken's place, I stopped at a BMW dealer and bought a new switch for the windshield, but we couldn't get my fairing off because of some strange screws that hold my PIAA lights under the oil cooler. So we never did anything to fix my windshield, yet it works now! -- at least for now it works.

If it continues to work, I'll just conclude that something was loose that somehow got jarred back into place. Other than that explaination, I have no idea -- other than perhaps the new motor oil!

Very enjoyable meeting you and glad you made it home without serious incident. I hope you can join us on the Fantastic Bounce Extravaganza next weekend; see this thread. The chants work. Really!

Archived