IGNORED

2011 Final drive unit pivot bearing

Lester V

2011 1200RT. 20k miles. The bearing between the swing arm and the final drive unit ...in particular the final drive unit bearing on the left ( tire) side continues to collect dirt around the circumference of the bearing/seal. After a few thousand miles I get the dark/dirt covering the pivot pin/isa screw etc.

I clean it off and it appears again. Everything around it stays clean.

I this a possible seal or bearing (17x 40x 13.25) leak and are both under warranty? All is good on the right side pivot pin.

Not likely a real issue. A little grease is normal.

They may eventually wear out but at this low mileage that's unlikely..

Thanks guys, I've put a 'watch' on it anyway and will continue to monitor...

Anyone had their bearing/seal replaced under warranty for symptoms like this?

• 2 weeks later...
2011 1200RT. 20k miles. The bearing between the swing arm and the final drive unit ...in particular the final drive unit bearing on the left ( tire) side continues to collect dirt around the circumference of the bearing/seal. After a few thousand miles I get the dark/dirt covering the pivot pin/isa screw etc.

I clean it off and it appears again. Everything around it stays clean.

I this a possible seal or bearing (17x 40x 13.25) leak and are both under warranty? All is good on the right side pivot pin.

If that's the bearing I'm thinking of, and things haven't changed too much since I had my old R1100RT apart, those would be needle bearings, not sealed ball bearings, and I would expect some weeping. You might want to pull up a parts breakdown from one of the BMW dealer sites (e.g. A&S) and take a look. Otherwise, it they are sealed bearings, I'd agree with you, sealed means no weeping, e.g. dust maybe but no grease.

Archived