IGNORED

Fuel Strip failures

Elvie

Am booked a the dealer for #6 tomorrow. Steady stream of fuel strip sensor failures over the full warranty period - since July 2010 - the bike has never had an accurate gauge. All replacements were done under warranty.

I was wondering if anyone was aware of either a successful BMW fix for this issue (excluding float design), successful legal action against BMW related to this failure, or any other means BMW has used to appease their customers with this issue.

Thanks for any responses.

Evening Elvie

I'm on my 7th strip at the moment myself. All installed (absolutely) correctly & calibrated properly dry & outside the tank.

Just keep trying as my 7th has been going strong for quite a while now.

Eventually you should get one that works correctly (assuming your dealer is installing & calibrating correctly).

It's pretty difficult to do it incorrectly as the strip is pre-mounted in a very stiff plastic enclosure that protects the strip and it snaps in securely at the top & sits in a preformed seat in the bottom of the tank.

As long as the strip is dry & new even the calibration is pretty darn straight forward & difficult to screw up.

There's a lot of talk about this and various bits of witchcraft people believe in to try to make them last, but the simplest answer is probably the right one... the things are just difficult to manufacture properly, resulting in a high failure rate. As DR noted when you get a good one it will last (I'm still on my original) so you just have to count on the luck of the draw. Stinks, and BMW should be more responsible about addressing the problem, but that's the way it is.

Thanks for the responses. Agree completely with your comments.

#6 is in and functioning. I have faith in dealer and their service department so the install and calibration are believed to be done correctly. I have a two year warranty so time will tell if #7 is required.

BMW engineering has moved on and we as fuel strip owners will just have to deal with it.

Archived