IGNORED

Tires and Splines - 1150RT

Beagles

Easy question first - I just had a set of Metzeler Z6/ZR17s put on my RT. Should they be inflated to the PSI listed on the tires (that's what the service guys did) or to the PSI listed in the Owners Manual. The more difficult question is about splines. I am a firm believer in riding a motorcycle, not working on one, so I probably don't even know what a spline looks like. However, I keep hearing horror stories about spline failures on 02RTs. Is this a real concern (love the RT and would hate to do it, but if its likely to be a big problem I'll just trade the BMW in for an FJR and stop worrying), or is this something that is rare and you only hear about it because people generally tell you about their problems and not there joys!

Thanks

ShovelStrokeEd

Tires first. The inflation pressure stamped on the side wall of the tire is the mfg's recommended maximum cold inflation pressure for that tire. It will probably result in too harsh a ride. As I recall for the Z6 it is 42 PSI. Most here tend to run right at 40 f/r. I use a different method in that I check my tires hot and shoot for around 40 then. Usual result is around 35-36 cold front and 38 or so cold rear. Much nicer feel when cornering hard and better comfort as well. Using this method I get in the neighborhood of 10K miles out of a rear and 12K on the front. I do, however ride a bike that is a good deal lighter than an RT (R1100S or CBR1100XX).

As to the spline thing, it varies. Most owners will never experience a problem. I have over 200K on oil heads and have never had a spline problem. My 1100S is starting to shift a little stiff at 51K and I may, if an oil change doesn't cure it, pull it down for inspection/lube. I wouldn't get all in a tizzy about it at this point.

hi beagles

I think you are like most people, when on the forum we first look for the bad posts i.e big breakdowns they make good topics for discussion, ultimatley we can hopefully give good advice to riders who are a little concerned about taking on their own repairs , this is the nature of the beast, and yes sometimes it seems as if these machines are full of constant major problems but it aint nessecarily so.

My own rt has done 117k and only now is looking for a clutch and yes i will probably put a question or 20 to the board and then there will the answers of , well my friend had a friend who had such + such happen because etc. But you also go through this forum and see that the pro,s thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif by far outway the cons bncry.gifbncry.gif because you have one of the best motorcycles in the world and like me you are probably very proud clap.gifclap.gif to ride it in all of it,s glory.

I run 37F/42R with my Z6's, as recommended by BMW.

Regarding spline failures, it's pretty clear that there's some sort of problem, and from statistics provided by "BarkinDog", the 1999-2002 bikes seem to be in the eye of the storm. The problem may have abated in the 2003-on bikes (or there may just be less information; a larger, more systematic statistical sample would be required for this to be authoritative).

BarkinDog's stats

What bugs BMW R bike owners is that (a) BMW has never admitted the problem, and in fact claims there's NEVER been a warranty covered spline problem.

BMWNA's response.

I have a background in military logistics. I made the point that with a computerized inventory system, BMW knows precisely how many spline failures there are, because BMW makes the parts and maintains the parts reserve supply. BMW owners can only speculate based on what we've heard from other owners, and we've heard of both spline failures, early spline failures, and multiple spline failures on the same bike.

Bike's are going to wear out. If you ride 'em you're going to have to maintain them. What ticks me off most is that BMW is not forthcoming about a problem, and as far as BMW owners know, has never tried to design a better solution (e.g. self-lubricating splines, or better spline alignment procedures, etc.). It may in fact be the case that this problem is about BMW owner-panic about an infrequently occurring problem. The burden of proof is on BMW; we invested in their product and have the right to be concerned and ticked about the issue.

Check out this entire thread for an interesting discussion on the subject. It turns out that the thread originator was in fact, one more victim of the problem.

Related Thread

Why does this matter? I'm not running out and selling my bike just yet. I bought it as an inexpensive and SAFE commuter, it serves the purpose. I'll put some money into it and ride it. I love the bike.

However, I won't buy another BMW without riding an Yamaha FJR and Honda ST. Before I heard about this problem, BMW was my bike - period. I always wanted a Beemer. Now I'm wide open considering the competition. BMW ought to be very concerned. I would wager that owners who frequent this site are among the most emotionally invested, faithful BMW owners. Some love Beemers enough to rebuild the bike every 20K miles, but many who would never have considered any other bike in the past, are now looking seriously at BMW's competitors for their next bike.

The spline failure issue is a problem, a REAL problem for future BMW sales. If I ran a BMW dealership, I'd be livid about the issue. Fortunately, my investment is limited to the bike I have out in the garage. I can live with that risk.

Tires: The stamped psi on the tire is Metzeler's recommendation for maximum pressure. The owner's manual has BMW's recommendations for solo, passenger, and luggage. I've found them to be a useful specification - more air for a given load and the ride is harsh, less and the bike wallows a bit.

Splines: What Scott said. If you luck out with good alignment you will never have a problem. Most bikes are just fine, a small number are affected. That isn't good enough these days. I'll keep my bike, but if I were in the market I'd consider other makes. I would not have said that two years ago. (Then there's the seemingly random out-of-round cylinder issue and high oil consumption...)

I'd like to find a group similar to this one for FJR and ST1300, but the ones I've run across have nowhere near the depth of this forum.

peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA

Yeah what Scott said for sure

As far as splines go mine seem to be ok at the moment,for how long who knows. It always in the back of my mind.

Diffs are another thing that seem to be a problem, including mine, it let go in a big way on a trip around oz. It was a PITA but we fixed when we got parts sent to us and its still going, but I know of plenty of others that should of lasted longer than they did.

Alt belts been through 2 of em in 70km ,not as big a deal but can still be a PITA depending where you are.

I luv my 1150rt ,but I will be looking real close at Honda -Yamaha when the time comes

Regards Jacko

I keep hearing horror stories about spline failures on 02RTs.

I have 50K now on my '02RT and no issues whatsoever. Yes, at some point I may (or may not) have spline problems. I may also get hit by a truck or falling airplane (or not) or even be so impressed by the new 1200GT that I buy one and take a huge financial hit on my well-depreciated RT -- a hit that would make the cost of a spline job seem small indeed!

I try to let none of these possible but unrealized future disasters detract from the enjoyment the RT gives me today. grin.gif

I keep hearing horror stories about spline failures on 02RTs.

I try to let none of these possible but unrealized future disasters detract from the enjoyment the RT gives me today. grin.gif

thumbsup.gif Well put. When I first started reading from this forum, I got worried. Not any more. I now view the these issues as something to watch for while I enjoy the ride.

Great question on the splines, and really reassuring responses. I know I probably missed this on some other thread, but as BMW owners, there must be some way to voice concern to the OEM to address the unfortunate owners who have had these issues. Maybe mass emailing by every member on this site to one sorry BMW management, and sending your VIN number along as proof of purchase. Collectively we may make a difference. DBG

Archived