IGNORED

2500 mile report

Moto Mike G

Moto Mike G

Having now logged about 2500 miles on my new wet head GS.

nothing broke! clutch is fine brakes fine.

The saddle is great by BMW standards. front seat has 3 positions! Need to try high in front low in back as a last ditch effort on more comfort for the 200 to 400 mile days. High is better than low due to knee bend. But in either case seat tends to slide you forward. Wife has same bike and has same issue just a different pressure point.

Mileage loaded with luggage 50MPG all around.

Muffler seems to get quieter as time gores on. or I am getting deafer which I am but bike seems a bit quieter. New out of the box to has have very throaty roar.

Linked brakes have a weird feel to them but WILL stop you in a hurry.

Suspension & performance modes are all wonderful. Noticeable and make a nice difference as desired as advertised.

I would like a 7th gear or taller 6th and a lower 1st gear. But that is just me.

Had to ride with a passenger yesterday. so the load cap was maxed. still plenty of pulling power. only note the front end felt a bit light compared to my 09RT. ESA was set to proper settings, ESA on HARD made front end more stable.

loaded with bags and 20 to 30 mph cross winds not bad for having square boxy panniers. no worse than my 09RT or 02 LT.

LED head light is good and wife's who has the standard halogen is very good as well at night. Seems like the LED captures peoples eyes in cages better than the regular halogen bulb.

I do not feel the need to upgrade lights. But I do not ride a lot at night. only 10% of the time.

wind and rain protection is a paradox. good protection but yet I can get air in on vents on my Trail Gard jacket & Pants. also have a Tourmaster transition 2 and that works very good as well. Rode in rain once and unlike on the RT or LT rain does not gather in the crotch. but it was a short ride in rain 20 min at most.

Due to where I ride I will not go back to the RT.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

cool could you plese post pics of you and your wifes bikes??? wow two gs bmws in the garage-- ummm do they make a motorcycle with 7 speed??? {i am new the the bmw love waiting for the r1200rt new models reports on long term test- yamaha made a new fjr as well} but i never heard of a seven speed motorcycle??? just how realiable harleys have become--

• 1 month later...

From our trip to the UP this past June. Spent 2 nights in Duluth in Harbor district. Made the pilgrimage to Aerostich and bought some stuff. Should have spent another day in UP but this was only wifes 2nd major moto trip. Good time was had. 10361395714_3b7cd9fecc_c.jpg

10361398144_0e7501d9a7_b.jpg10361395714_3b7cd9fecc_c.jpg

Hi Mike, Quick question: is the connector on the O2 sensor the same as the earlier R1200s? Thx, Roger

Sorry I have no idea.

cool could you plese post pics of you and your wifes bikes??? wow two gs bmws in the garage-- ummm do they make a motorcycle with 7 speed??? {i am new the the bmw love waiting for the r1200rt new models reports on long term test- yamaha made a new fjr as well} but i never heard of a seven speed motorcycle???just how realiable harleys have become--

No 7 speeds i know of Just think the new GS should have either a 7th gear or taller 6th gear like a over drive. at 55mph in 6th you have plenty of torque and no need to down shift to pass.

Most bikes ( any brand) are fairly reliable with in the context there made to be used. Some better than others. Problems are over reported and success stories ( ie no break downs ) are under reported. The key being maintenance, how you take care of the bike and ride it. Do you race at every light, travel extensively over loaded with extra gear beyond rating on bike etc... Or do you get ice cream once a week in town with your bike?

Update 6000 miles on the clock and no problems except needing a rear tire. Should do front as well on principal

Mileage is typically 50 mpg with a solid mix of riding hwy, back roads, passive and spirited riding pace.

No oil consumption.

Some times get a ABS failure light that resets with ignition off then back on.

OP did not feel the need to add lights. However, that was one of my first accessories ... Rigid LED aux lights for both night illumination and daytime conspicuity.

A lower first gear would be a huge plus, however with the endure pro mode and the new wet clutch, off-road slow speeds are manageable ... as much as bike this heavy can be.

• 1 month later...
CoarsegoldKid

It should have come with a Recluse clutch if it's even possible. All the R1200 series are geared tall. RT most of all. I'd prefer all gears to be a tad lower and a 7th would be overdrive. But that would be a clean slate design. Oh! ;)

• 1 month later...
Cowboyatheart
From our trip to the UP this past June. Spent 2 nights in Duluth in Harbor district. Made the pilgrimage to Aerostich and bought some stuff. Should have spent another day in UP but this was only wifes 2nd major moto trip. Good time was had. 10361395714_3b7cd9fecc_c.jpg

10361398144_0e7501d9a7_b.jpg10361395714_3b7cd9fecc_c.jpg

Wife got the red or white?

Are those BMW protection bars?

Archived