IGNORED

BMW Motorrad audio system

LeftCoastMan

LeftCoastMan

OK, first of all, I've got to say that this thing is one of the most counter-intuitive, difficult to program things I've ever used. Trying to find the Radio ID number for Sirius was impossible, until I opened up the manual. OK, I know some of you think you need to read a manual, but things should be intuitive. On every single SiriusXM radio ever built you tune to Channel 0 or 1 to get the ID number.

And programming stations into memory took an hour at least. Again, manual was necessary.

But that's all done, and I'm still happy with the bike. However, I am unable to use my iPhone 5. I've tried everything. I used each of my three USB cables (in case one was broken). It charges the iPhone, so I know it's working. But it doesn't read it on the USB source. I have no other iPhones or iPods to test, so I'm not sure I've done it right. Yes, I read the manual. It makes it appear that you plug and play. I plugged no play.

Any ideas?

Agree programming the audio system is more complicated than any car I've ever owned...including BMW's. You have to get a audio cable to go along with the USB/lightening connector. This is representative but there are a zillion options.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Multi-Color-3-FT-3-5mm-1-8-Aux-Cable-Cord-Flat-Audio-Wire-for-Apple-iPhone-5-/310644771576?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item4853df0af8

LeftCoastMan
Agree programming the audio system is more complicated than any car I've ever owned...including BMW's. You have to get a audio cable to go along with the USB/lightening connector. This is representative but there are a zillion options.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Multi-Color-3-FT-3-5mm-1-8-Aux-Cable-Cord-Flat-Audio-Wire-for-Apple-iPhone-5-/310644771576?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item4853df0af8

So wait, what you're telling me is that the USB connection only let's you control the iPhone, but sound has to come through the audio cable?

I tried it. The audio system still doesn't read the iPhone.

Yeah, setting it up nearly wrecked my battery.

The BMW audio system will allow you to use and control an ipod or your iphone as a music player, but you have to have the correct cable from BMW or a knockoff available on ebay. Link to proper cable.

The cable linked to earlier will not allow the OEM system to control the iphone with the factory controls.

John in VA
The BMW audio system will allow you to use and control an ipod or your iphone as a music player, but you have to have the correct cable from BMW or a knockoff available on ebay. Link to proper cable.

The cable linked to earlier will not allow the OEM system to control the iphone with the factory controls.

That cable should do it, but for iPhone 5 you'll also need a Lightning-to-30pin adapter. The adapter works for simple iTunes syncing and through an old 30-pin dock, but I wonder if the adapter passes BMW's control commands through. The above eBay cable definitely passes BMW play commands to a 30-pin iPhone 4.

http://www.wirelessground.com/iphone-5-30-pin-to-8-pin-lightning-adapter.htm

Archived