IGNORED

Handlebar Width

Jiro

Hi! I've been riding F650GS for about 4 years now with lot of miles. I think it's time that I move up to RT so I'm hunting around for it. I test-rode it last week and I love it!!! However, I do have a couple of issues - comfort-wise.

The bike (used) I test-rode on felt crampy for me. definitely felt like the previous owner was very vertically-challenged. the pegs were too close to seat which is obviously fixable by getting a different seat. and the handlebar felt too narrow. It felt like riding a Fisher-Price toy bike. I know there's a handlebar riser but that's not what I'm looking for.

Is there a way to widen the handlebar by like perhaps 1"?

Suggest rethinking increasing handlebar width. You propose to transition from an "enduro" bike to a sport touring bike. The former typically do have wider bars and perhaps you really want an R1200GS--a wonderful bike for sure.

The RT fairing is actually designed and tested rather than just "stuck on" and coverage/protection and mirror use are matched to OE handlebar width. So are hydraulic lines and switch wire harnesses.

I checked my more-than-inch-thick Wunderlich catalog, and while there are risers there's nothing for "wider bars." I think that's a clue.

Suggest rethinking increasing handlebar width. You propose to transition from an "enduro" bike to a sport touring bike. The former typically do have wider bars and perhaps you really want an R1200GS--a wonderful bike for sure.

The RT fairing is actually designed and tested rather than just "stuck on" and coverage/protection and mirror use are matched to OE handlebar width. So are hydraulic lines and switch wire harnesses.

I checked my more-than-inch-thick Wunderlich catalog, and while there are risers there's nothing for "wider bars." I think that's a clue.

ah... looks like there isn't really any mod for wider bars. I know it sounds like a stupid question but just want to rule it out because this whole sport touring thing is very new to me and I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I came across this and that's what prompted me to ask this question. I suppose it's something I have to get used to.

bmw-r1200rt-adjustable-handlebar-riser-bar-back-4901-901439d.jpg

I have this mod on my 2013 RT12. I can assure you without a doubt that is does "widen" the handlebars. I'd have to measure the change but it is significant. As you "widen" the bars, the bar end move further away from you and will cause you to lean fwd more. Conversely, you can "shorten" the bars and bring your riding position more upright. This mod is rather expensive but I have no regrets in buying and would highly recommend.

I have this mod on my 2013 RT12. I can assure you without a doubt that is does "widen" the handlebars. I'd have to measure the change but it is significant. As you "widen" the bars, the bar end move further away from you and will cause you to lean fwd more. Conversely, you can "shorten" the bars and bring your riding position more upright. This mod is rather expensive but I have no regrets in buying and would highly recommend.

how expensive are we talking about?

I'm 6'0" with long legs and a set of these were one of the first things I added to my RT:

http://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1200RT.htm

I am a little confused.

Surely if you add these footrest lowering kits your bike must drag the ground a lot on corners?

Also doesn't it screw up gear change and rear brake lever action?

It's a very slight lowering but makes a difference in comfort. The brake lever and gear lever are easily adjustable to compensate. Mine have never dragged, but maybe I'm not an especially aggressive cornerer.

I remember once stopping at a gas station on my R1100RT and another rider gassing up his Suzuki GSX asked me seriously don't my RT's cylinder heads drag in corners? No, they don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Jiro,

That Wunderlich piece looks like it would do the trick.. but, personally coming from a GS it will feel different. I would ride the bike for a thousand miles or so, then make a decision.

I came from a cruiser and it took me over 200 miles just to like the bike, by 1000 miles I "had wood"! ;-)

I too think the handlebars are a bit too narrow, so the Wunderlich riser might be the answer. Right now I am just moving my hands out toward the end of the bars--but basically I only do this for brief periods when I am "cruising".

Archived