IGNORED

Returning to the RT world

LeftCoastMan

LeftCoastMan

In March, 2011, I totaled my '06 RT in an accident. What caused the accident had nothing to do with an idiot in a car, weather conditions, or anything else but an unknown health issue that was discovered when I was taken to the emergency room (I was in no way injured in the accident, but my heart rate skyrocketed from the stress). I survived because of good equipment, none of which was damaged, believe it or not.

The accident saved my life, as I ended up in the hospital for several months, again, since they were able to diagnose something that might have killed me within a few months. I f**king love science.

I got clearance to ride a bike again in January of this year. At first, I was scared to ever get on a bike again. Then this summer, I decided "time to grow back my balls." Seriously, that's what I said to myself.

So tomorrow (maybe July 5th, depending on whether the dealer will have everything ready), I'm picking up a real low mileage (I mean 1700 miles low mileage) 2011 RT packed with every option. Rear case. Nav. Radio. ESA. ASC. A cute blonde in the pillion. Oh wait. I keep hallucinating.

I have my brand new Schuberth C3 Pro helmet. Sidi boots. FirstGear Hi-Viz jacket. I'm protected and ready to ride again. All because of the greatness of medical science, and brilliant physicians. :)

2011-RT-side-view.jpg

LeftCoastMan

By the way, just looking at the picture, I remembered that they're swapping out the low seat for a normal one, and I got the black plastic BMW OEM valve head cover protectors.

I'm thinking about selling the rear case and getting a GIVI, which holds more. Any opinions?

Congrats on the medical clearance and the good choice.

Bike looks beautiful.

Give yourself some credit.

As good as docs are, it takes your courage and dedication

to make it through...

Best wishes.

LeftCoastMan

Thanks for the positives. :)

I can't wait to go on a long trip, but my biking muscle memory has probably lapsed after over two years. I'll probably take a few short rides. Unfortunately, I have to ride 60 miles on LA's freeways to get from the dealer back home. A friend is going to drive her gas guzzling SUV behind me until I get home, and she's rude enough to run over anyone who gets in my way. :)

LeftCoastMan

I just realized I have been posting here since 2000, just a couple months short of 13 years. I didn't know the interwebs existed in 2000. :D

I'm thinking about selling the rear case and getting a GIVI, which holds more. Any opinions?

First off, congrats on the new bike, but more importantly being back to good health...

To answer your question, keep the BMW case... you own it and it is much better than anything GIVI has to offer... I would know as I had a GIVI E52 Maxia on my ST1300 and while a bit bigger, it was definitely cheaper (build quality) vs. the BMW plus you have to: A. fit the ugly GIVI rack to mount their case (the BMW fits on the current rack and B. Have a second key to contend with... Only the Red GIVI key works with the top case when with the BMW, one key is all you need. I loved my 49 L top case on my RT. Never came off.

Congrats on your health recovery and new RT. I guess you did grow a pair, LA traffic can cause one's head to spin. Staying in the saddle is a big choice, ride like the wind.

Congrats on the new ride and welcome back!

(If you ever feel like explaining what was the condition, I'd be interested to hear?)

texasaggie97

Nice a good for you getting back in the saddle. Keep the rubber side down and I hope we can meet in person someday.

Archived