IGNORED

Front Brake Shudder-R1150RT

BMW_Ken

In the last 1,500 miles, I have noticed a high frequency "shudder" from the front when the brakes are applied at over about 50mph. It doesn't do this once the speed is below about 50mph. The bike(2004 R1150RT) has 11,500 miles on it and hasn't had any mechanicl work done since a front/rear tire change at 5,800 miles.

I have checked for correct torque of caliper bolts, etc.

The frequency of the "shudder" is such that it doesn't feel like a warped rotor (or what I think one would feel like, since I have never experience one on a motorcycle).

I plan to check the runout of the rotors, but rotating the front wheel doesn't reveal one area of a rotor dragging in the caliper more than the rest.

Has anyone experienced this?

Any ideas on the cause and solution?

Since the bike is in warranty, if nothing obvious or inexpensive is found, I will take it to the dealer, but that is a 2hr ride each way, plus I would probably have to leave it for a few days which means arranging rides back and forth.

Thanks!!

In the last 1,500 miles, I have noticed a high frequency "shudder" from the front when the brakes are applied at over about 50mph. It doesn't do this once the speed is below about 50mph. The bike(2004 R1150RT) has 11,500 miles on it and hasn't had any mechanicl work done since a front/rear tire change at 5,800 miles.

I have checked for correct torque of caliper bolts, etc.

The frequency of the "shudder" is such that it doesn't feel like a warped rotor (or what I think one would feel like, since I have never experience one on a motorcycle).

I plan to check the runout of the rotors, but rotating the front wheel doesn't reveal one area of a rotor dragging in the caliper more than the rest.

Has anyone experienced this?

Any ideas on the cause and solution?

Since the bike is in warranty, if nothing obvious or inexpensive is found, I will take it to the dealer, but that is a 2hr ride each way, plus I would probably have to leave it for a few days which means arranging rides back and forth.

Thanks!!

I've got the same issue. I'm all ears

M

I have experienced similar symptoms and had good results with a thorough wheel clean. I used a proprietary wheel cleaner and worked it in the ventilation holes with a stiff brush -- problem disappeared.

Pay attention to all three brake discs, because of the linking: you can't be sure which one(s) is/are at the root of it.

hi ken

The first thing i would be doing is checking for bearing play in the front wheel , then after degreasing everything i would check the pads for excessive movement in the calipers it could be a retaining clip or something similar worn it could even be a high spot develed on one of the pads but i dont think you will find anything major,so if you refer to a pulsating sensation at speed then i would say it could be any of the follwing

1 warped disc

2 caliper slider sticking or damaged

3worn wheel bearing

4 loose caliper bolt

5 worse case buckled wheel.

STAY UPRIGHT

DEREK thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived