IGNORED

Picking up a used K1300GT this weekend.

fourteenfour

fourteenfour

Tried four dealers. I have to ask, what is the point of having an internet presence and mail address if you don't respond?

One never responded. Another only finally came back with a response after I told them I found a bike elsewhere. Both my local dealers are just awesome but it came down to color. Can't ride a bike which isn't the faster color. Always feels wrong to not buy from your current dealer, but Atlanta is blessed with two great ones.

Anyway, I want a cup holder! Recommendations? Yeah, that wall of text to ask for a cup holder. Got to carry my D&D coffee I like each morning. Not necessarily to drink so an inside the case solution is cool too.

CChris wrote:

Anyway, I want a cup holder! Recommendations? Yeah, that wall of text to ask for a cup holder. Got to carry my D&D coffee I like each morning. Not necessarily to drink so an inside the case solution is cool too.

-------------------

I came across this solution one night at the fast food joint (I didn't want take-out chili all over the inside of my case). Put the capped liquid in a narrow plastic bag and trap the top of the bag in the top of the case as you close it. Works a treat!

fourteenfour

Anyway, I want a cup holder!

Cup holders are reserved for Gold Pigs.....

lol - I was mostly interested in one that I could stow in my luggage. Instead I think I may end up pouring my coffee into my old thermos.

I like this machine better than any of my previous RTs... intoxicating is an understatement

fourteenfour

Besides the ZTech windscreen that is visible, the bike was also sold to me with bar backs (which I most likely will remove), Big Mak tank bag, and the 29L top case. I am going to find someone here in the Atlanta area to paint the top case lid to at least match the bike.

What I want to get next, the reflective tape for the bags (black 3M pre cut), headlight modulator, and possibly the Kisan tail blazer replacement brake lights.

IMG_0987_zpsb7c7cc01.jpg

IMG_0984_zps1085b968.jpg

Urban Surfer

Wow! what a bike. I should have opened this thread sooner.

Do you like the windscreen?

I was considering changing mine. Maybe an Aroflow.

fourteenfour
Wow! what a bike. I should have opened this thread sooner.

Do you like the windscreen?

I was considering changing mine. Maybe an Aroflow.

Having no experience with other wind screens on this bike I will only state it seems to work well. It seems very large, width wise and almost out of place because of that. Having ridden RTs for the most part I am used to ZTech screens. Optically its fine.

Still get decent air on my arms and shoulders, road noise on this bike seems worse than any RT I have owned but I am not going to attribute that to the shield.

You might want to look at P3's for the tail or even the BMW Accessory Tail Light rather than that Kisan thing- does it even work with pulse modulated single wire tail lights?

FWIW, I also put a traditional red 3" reflector at the outside lower of the sidecases as rear corner markers.

One of my K's is an 06 K12 and wedge bikes are certainly noiser than an RT. I attribute it to tranny whine- can't say I like the whiney jet sounds the wedge K makes. For my money, the K12 brick is the best motor BMW ever made re power curves anyway- more usable at lower revs than the wedge.

Neither car nor bike fixed dealerships seem to do well on the web. In my experience, the few that respond are likely to put you on their spam list and send youy crap forever or until you ban them. Also, bear in mind that there are way too many nutballs out there thinking they can low ball anyone including a dealership and expect a response- email responses by sales guys are a low per cent of hits for them so won't be highest on priority lis- which is why the really big car dealerships sometimes have a person who focuses solely on e sales.

fourteenfour
Chris is the bike everything you expected? Overall impressions?

The best way to word it is, I should have skipped that last RT and gotten a GT instead. Power does corrupt and boy does this thing have some power.

The wethead RT is going to have to be something special to make me go back, I won't do the new GT/GTL simply because its a cow. So this little red rocket is going to get some running time

For my money, the K12 brick is the best motor BMW ever made re power curves anyway- more usable at lower revs than the wedge.

The brick motor is a classic and has proven to be pretty bulletproof and the wedge, well, has not... but in terms of power output I believe the wedge will deliver more torque at any engine speed (and let's not even talk about HP ;) )

How about 6th gear at 1500 rpm's?

Betcha I get to 100 first.

You have to keep the revs up higher in the wedgie version.

Both have many pros and cons and I'm biased.

First time I took a brand new K1200 S to gas up after PDI I almost didn't come back.

:grin:

First time I took a brand new K1200 S to gas up after PDI I almost didn't come back.

PDI? :S

Yeah, when updating the K BMW had (for better or for worse) just started on its kick to shake the 'mature rider' image and wanted something that could hunt with the likes of the KZ14 and FJR1300, and so the slant-K is tuned to provide that 'grit your teeth and try to hold on' hit from 7-10k rpm. I agree that's not always very 'usable'... but it is always fun. :grin:

I think BMW made the right decision with the K1600 though in using the additional displacement to provide more/flatter torque instead of more horsepower. Given how silly fast the current crop of K-bikes are that would have been overkill on top of overkill.

fourteenfour

I had the faster of the bricks back awhile ago, the zebra K1200RS. Just to make sure it was faster I even ran city bags for awhile.

The slants have one similarity, you have to look down occasionally to realize your not in top gear

PDI? :S

Pre-delivery inspection.

Uncrate, assemble, go get gas, ride check, smile, go over everything with customer and check off items (PDI), sell.

There used to be an official form, item by item, customer sign off (like use and functioning signals, cosmetic, stands, manuals, etc.).

Apparently some dealerships didn't use the OEM form.

Amazing how many questions are asked here that should have been covered in PDI.

Archived