IGNORED

Oil Dilemma - What would you do?

grant8la

I just bought a 2011 R1200RT and I'm thrilled to have it.

I looked at the oil level and saw that it was about half full (in the window) on the center stand and cold. It is always hard for me to see new relatively clean oil in that window because of course oil is pretty clear. But I was confident I could make out how much was in there.

I went for a 200 mile ride and as I got near the end I saw a OIL with a checkmark in my computer window. I stopped for lunch thinking, "ok, when I get home I'll check the oil but there should be enough." On the final 10 mile leg of the journey I got the OIL exclamation point, which freaked me out.

I pulled over, put the bike on the center stand and looked at the oil window, where I saw NO OIL AT ALL. Yikes.

I thought, "This is must be practically out of oil. I got a check light, then an exclamation light, and now i see no oil in the window." I went and bought two quarts of oil. I put one in, and looked at the window. No visible change. "Wow, this thing must really be out of oil." I put a second quart in. Still couldn't see any oil in the window. But I decided to crank it and ride the 5 miles home. On that ride there was no oil warning light.

The next morning, I get up and checked the oil (on the center stand, cold)...and although it is very hard to see because new oil is very clear, it looks like the entire glass is filled with oil. Like the oil level is over the top of the window. One day it has no oil at all...I put two quarts in and it has too much oil. Since it's cold, I'm afraid to crank it, that I might blow out the oil window.

at this point, with so little real knowledge about what is going on I'm tempted to just drain all the oil out of the bike, measure it, and pour back into the bike the exact amount I know it needs.

My question - is that the prudent move? or is there another strategy to get this sorted out.

Much thanks

Grant

Morning Grant

You need to read your riders manual about what that oil checkmark means.

That checkmark while stopped & idling with a warm engine is

telling you your oil level is GOOD.

It sounds like you WAY overfilled it as you need to put it on the center stand for a while before checking the sight glass (that is in the riders manual also)

At this point, I agree. Drain it, put in the described amount and monitor it. You probably were low, but prob not 2 quarts low. The way to check the level is to put the bike on the sidestand for 10 minutes to let all the oil drain out of the top end into the crankcase. Then on the centerstand, check it and you should be somewhere in the site glass.

Seems wierd that you had oil in the site glass and 200 miles later you were getting the oil light.

It is a little odd to me that I put one quart in and saw no oil in the window...which is why I put the second quart in. But I suppose I didn't give the oil time to drain from one side of the bike where the oil fill is to the other side where the window is.

As stated in owners manual, difference between oil at bottom of circle and top of circle is 1/2 liter. Bottom of circle may look like "none," but it seldom is. I'd say generally speaking you'll never encounter a situation with this bike requiring a full quart.

And, BTW, your bike is a Camhead and this is the wrong forum.

At this point, I agree. Drain it, put in the described amount and monitor it. You probably were low, but prob not 2 quarts low. The way to check the level is to put the bike on the sidestand for 10 minutes to let all the oil drain out of the top end into the crankcase. Then on the centerstand, check it and you should be somewhere in the site glass.

Seems wierd that you had oil in the site glass and 200 miles later you were getting the oil light.

+1 on using the sidestand first for about 5 min. Then on the centerstand.

You need to read the owner's manual!! I went through the same experience as you when I first got my RT. The manual has an explanation to the oil level check process. It's not necessarily intuitive and my R12RT is the only bike (or car) I've ever owned that needed a detailed explanation of how to check the oil level.

pete

If BMW motorcycles are anything like their automobiles, the oil light illuminates well before damage would occur.

As other have said, check your manual and yes I would agree, you should drain it to be certain you did not overfill.. which it sounds like you may have.

Last but not least, you paid good money for the privilege of owning a world class motorcycle. Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish about re-using oil that is mixed new/old. If the price of oil is that much of an issue, don't remove the drain plug completely and allow it to slowly drain to a safe level. Top off as required with fresh oil from a new container.

Don't get it - 2011 bike = camhead

Isn't this the "camhead" forum?

Don't get it - 2011 bike = camhead

Isn't this the "camhead" forum?

I thought the same thing, but then realized that one of the Moderators must have moved it here.

The lazy guys way to check oil is just pop it up on the centerstand and look before your next ride. The modern motors don't really need those fussy sidestand/centerstand dances and precise timing proposed by some just to check an oil level..

If you see anything in the ring, you're good. Worry less- your motor is quite capable of running its normal lifespan a qt low anyway unless you beat heck out if constantly. (I've run virtually all of my wet sump track engines a qt low to improve oil control internally event though they also had windage trays)

Broken in boxers use no oil but that can take 3-15K miles. It can also be screwed up so the motor will always use oil. The most important step in break in is driving to ensure periodic heavy loading on the piston rings while the engine is nearly new.....(Not the same as a racer's break in- bringing it to full power on the dyno as soon as resonably possible and running it a while)

• 2 weeks later...

2012 RT

I know from other forums etc that new RTs may use oil for the first few thousand miles.

Before I went to France/Belgium/Luxembourg a couple of weeks ago I checked the oil level and it was just showing at the top of the sight glass (4000 miles ish). I did about 1300 miles and checked the oil and it is below half way in the glass. This seems quite an increase in oil usage. Should I be worried?

It is due a 6000 mile service in a few hundred miles.

Thanks

No, that amount is almost nothing. Also depends on how you checked the levels each time. Enjoy the moto and the 6k service.

Archived