IGNORED

The Three Muskateers Scout El Paseo

David

Well, Bill Hawkins (K2R) and David Bearden (GTR) and I went scouting last week. We left early Thursday and went straight to Cherokee, NC. Didn't even check into the hotel. Just gassed up and head out to scout the first ride. We didn't leave Cherokee until 2:45p, so we figured we'd better hit it hard to not be out too late after sunset.

I'm still typing up the routes, and I'll get those to anyone who is interested--but especially the El Paseo participants--shortly. Here I just can't help but say something about those two days.

In the two days we rode 860 miles, and very little of it was slab. Doing 430 miles on back roads that require intense concentration is like riding 1,000 miles on the interstate for me. Lots more fun, but just as exhausting. But also the sort of exhaustion you long for. We didn't finish up until 8:00p or so that Thursday night, and then did another 430 miles the next day. We even had to split up and each take notes to get it all done.

The adrenaline is still flowing. Bearden and I were on our RTs, and Bill was on his new (to him) GS. We all ride well and ride at a pretty even level, swapping the lead every 50-100 miles and challenging each other quite a bit. We know each other well enough that not much slips by, either. We can easily notice clipping the center line, taking a bad line on a given curve, etc. It's fun to keep each other sharp and focused and we tend to be very aware of how each of us is riding. There are times we'll say: "Okay, ____ needs to lead this next stretch." Each of us can get told to tone it down, if necessary, too.

Our styles are slightly different, too. Bill's "lean angle" sensor is calibrated differently than mine, and he'll almost lay the bike down. He corners with shall I say "significant" angles, I corner with arcs, and Dave just plain corners. It's fun to compare our tires after running hundreds of miles together. Here's the front after that first day, way beyond the tread lines, and mine was the mild one. Bearden typically uses every last mm of his rear tire.

webtire.jpg

This was Bill's first non-slab trip with the GS. I have more than 1,000 miles on a GS I rented, so I knew kind of what they would do. But for those of you who don't know it yet, the GS is a kick ass bike. On the kind of roads we were doing, it's a delight. More torque, lighter, and far easier to control (smaller rear wheel and "tiller" steering).

webbill.jpg

Half the fun is harassing each other mercilessly. On Friday morning Bearden is leading, Bill is behind him, and I'm riding in the back. All of a sudden I see what appears to be toilet paper waving in front of Bill's face. Sure enough, it starts to get longer and longer. Bill is waving his arms like he's trying to stuff it in, but to no avail. It goes flying above his head and I pass it.

This just seems too good to be true, and I'm not sure how to play this "volleyball set" that someone just put in my face. I wait about 45 seconds and then say, over the radio: "Bill, I'm not even going to ask what you were doing with toilet paper up there." Of course he laughed so hard he cried, just because he KNEW I was going to say something and couldn't believe I waited nearly a minute!

Here's Bearden and Bill on the Cherohala:

webboth.jpg

Back to the trip. We traversed the Cherohala, 360, 28, 441, 19, 64, 215, Deal's Gap (2x), and so on. It was very instructive to ride them differently. Deal's Gap, for instance, has no straights between the curves during which you can set up the next one. It's aggressively through one, throw the bike over, and then work on the line while you are already in the curve. then again and again for 300+ curves in 11 miles. We did it in just under 15 mins the first time, and maybe 20 seconds less the second time. Bill, of course, was leading!

There's always something to learn. They are never "new" things, but "relearning" is just as important as "learning."

First, pay attention to where you ride in the pack. I ride best at the front because I'm not adjusting my speed anybody in front. If you are following someone, it's easy (and a bad habit) to do the yo-yo thing: be right behind him, he pulls away after the curve, you catch up as he slows, and so on. If you aren't on your game in that process, you'll get behind the bike and not ride it well. Put more distance between you and keep a more even pace.

Second, we can never overlearn how to react in performance type cornering. Relax, lean in and forward, keep feet in the proper position, bent arms, head to the side, etc. Do not fight the bike!!!!! We saw one gentleman almost lose it fighting his bike. We all three thought he was going down. He was fighting the urge to lean more, but knew that if he didn't he'd be toast. He had a death grip on the handlebars, which made it worse.

I lengthened my Ohlins rear before the trip, to its longest position, and that was a wonderful antidote to scraping. It took me all two days, though, to get beyond that dreaded feeling of "here it comes." I ran 36f and 39 r, with very little luggage, and the bike performed like a champ. I've decided that I don't like the driveline lash on routes like Deal's Gap, and I've also decided that I wish there was less gap between 2nd and 3rd. Bearden and I were talking about that on the trip, and then I believe Dick mentioned it here. Very true.

We had such a delightful trip on those roads that it's almost difficult to express in words. Personally I accessorize my bike and help with the web site for rides like that. It's about riding, and all the rest (for me) is ancillary.

webthree.jpg

David et al ... Sounds like a good time and a hell of a ride. If we ever finish with winter here (and I re-learn to ride), maybe I can hang with you guys. 158763-cool.gif. Great post.

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles),

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as...

canada75.gif

David et al ... Sounds like a good time and a hell of a ride. If we ever finish with winter here (and I re-learn to ride), maybe I can hang with you guys.

Hey, you ride well! Best lines I've ever seen, except for that Phil Roach (2wheel) guy in WV. I enjoyed riding that road with you in Virginia at Mayhem. It was a great end to a relaxing day.

Yeah, that was a great road, at least the part we slowed down enough to see, and I'll be crossing back through that area along with DESNTZ and AAFLYER on 4/10 on the way down to Cherokee! We have been getting pretty psyched without this teaser. Man I am hoping for good weather this weekend!

BTW, rode with 2Wheel and the rest of the Green Dot Club during the early winter. Phil was just breakin in the new Duc. Phil, if your out there there is still time to meet up with us to head down. Same for Spike and Jon, get in touch and we'll set a point to hookup. Will basically be heading to the BRP and riding it in to Cherokee!

Will basically be heading to the BRP and riding it in to Cherokee!

That'll be a fun trip. Just make sure it's open. The southern part was closed last week. We tried to take it somewhere and were blocked on both ends.

Assuming that you can take it, get off at the Cherokee exit. That's just before it ends in Bryson City.

You'll then go south on 441 for less than 2 miles. Take the first major turn to the left at the light, and you'll see the hotel.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

"Just make sure it's open. The southern part was closed last week. We tried to take it somewhere and were blocked on both ends."

OOOH NOOOO! Say it ain't so! Close the BRP? This must be someones idea of a sick joke!

David, thanks for the heads up. I'll find some way to check it out prior to riding down just so we'll know. At the worst case, they would have some routing signs and we would make alternate plans but if I can't find anywhere else, I'll use the link for the National Road Closure site which someone posted here some time ago;

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/index.htm

I just went there and Cherokee County does not show any closures currently. They do warn that this is subject to change daily with weather conditions blush.gif but those of us from the East Coast are getting pretty used to that!

Looking forward to it!

Ah,David. Thanks for the tale.

So, you finally agreed to set your Ohlins like I said in the first place? Gee.

I'm glad you'll get the routes detailed for the crowd. I know that you know those roads pretty well already. But, keeping folks from getting lost, and being able to note points of interest goes that extra step.

To all those who turned white at the Hoon tale, please take heart. The roads in that area lead trough some very beautiful country overall, and some of the distinct scenery is awesome. And, you wouldn't believe how many awesome picnic spots are strewn around there. No matter the intensity of your Riding, you can't miss having a good time down there.

Thanks again, David.

So, you finally agreed to set your Ohlins like I said in the first place? Gee.

Shoot. I was hoping you wouldn't notice. wink.gif I set them "long" at the beginning, and it made the bike lean too far on the side stand, and the bike wouldn't rock on the sidestand. So I shortened it. But then I scraped like heck. So I went back to the "long" method. It still sits funny on the stands, but I'd rather endure that.

Yep, you were right. But it's the only time you've been right in our couple of disagreements. Honest. I promise I'll let you know if it happens again.grin.gif

I'm glad you'll get the routes detailed for the crowd. I know that you know those roads pretty well already. But, keeping folks from getting lost, and being able to note points of interest goes that extra step.

We are noting turns, convenient stopping places, good photo spots, eating establishments, etc. And roads to not ride alone, too, since a few are very, very isolated. One reason I took the RT is that I have a digital voice recorder hooked up to the Autocom, so that I can note odometer settings and make notes to myself without stopping.

To all those who turned white at the Hoon tale, please take heart. The roads in that area lead trough some very beautiful country overall, and some of the distinct scenery is awesome. And, you wouldn't believe how many awesome picnic spots are strewn around there. No matter the intensity of your Riding, you can't miss having a good time down there.

I'd like to echo Dick's sentiments. Bill and David and I were hooning because we know the area and because we've ridden together for thousands and thousands of miles. The rides themselves will be different and of varied pace.

Thanks for your feedback, Dick. Get a cheap flight in here and take one of my bikes and join us! smile.gif

Thanks for your feedback, Dick. Get a cheap flight in here and take one of my bikes and join us!

Uh, yeah man! Ditto, second that, here-here. Time to spread a little love Eastward there General. Besides, I'm not done getting my riding lessons from you just yet. It's a journey, right?

Pssst: When you pick one of David's bikes to ride, take the gun-metal grey one! wink.gif

Um, I'm going to be taking the advances MSF course at the end of March. This should slightly lower my insureance. If they find out who I'm riding with in April will it make my rates go up or down?

Um, I'm going to be taking the advances MSF course at the end of March. This should slightly lower my insureance. If they find out who I'm riding with in April will it make my rates go up or down?

Your rates should go down, but I can't guarantee anything. smile.gif This tale is about three of us riding in a small group, having ridden many many miles together and knowing what we can and cannot do.

El Paseo will be different in the pace set, though we might stretch out at times and wait. We'll also be talking about riding well, how to handle the next stretch, and giving feedback to each other. At least that'll be happening in the group I'm leading.

Think of it as a very, very long hands-on MSF, without the certificate...and with beer at the end. grin.gif

...and giving feedback to each other

I hope Mitch says "bull$h1t" again. I missed it the first time though I was only about 10 feet away.

(This dang internet gizmo does not allow more subtle sarcasm to seep through)

Yes, I hope to have some discussions on what parts of Code's "Wrist" book are applicable to the real world. So far I feel like on a good day 4 out of 10 turns are REALLY right.

Look forward to it.

David said Hey, you ride well! Best lines I've ever seen, except for that Phil Roach (2wheel) guy in WV.

Hey, thanks for the compliment - although, riding with you all in the "fast" group, I'm not sure I'm worthy 158756-redface.gif . I learned much about myself as a rider with you guys in Mayhem. I hope to learn more again this year.

Oh yeah, and that 2wheel guy ... there's a guy to follow! xyxthumbs.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles),

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as...

canada75.gif

Archived