IGNORED

Valve spherical spacer dropped in engine

HeliMark

While doing to valve check (2012 RT), I was pulling out the left upper inlet to measure the size and as I was pulling it out, it somehow dropped straight down. It is not on that little shelf just under the valve, but inward where it drops who knows where. I am going to try and get a magnetic wand that I can try to go fish with, but other then that I guess it is dealer bound. Will not start it (even with a new spacer) until it is out.

Any other idea's?

Mark

Fixed.

After sitting back and having a beer and a couple of hours to think about it, instead of the flashlight I was using, I took my big flashlight and was able to see looking horizontal through the bottom half the spacer. Using a magnetized long very thin screwdriver, I was able to pull it out on the bottom. It was sitting on the bottom valve spring.

Mark

"Sometimes you eat the bear; sometimes the bear eats you."

Now go buy a lottery ticket before your luck changes!

pete

Fixed.

After sitting back and having a beer and a couple of hours to think about it, instead of the flashlight I was using, I took my big flashlight and was able to see looking horizontal through the bottom half the spacer. Using a magnetized long very thin screwdriver, I was able to pull it out on the bottom. It was sitting on the bottom valve spring.

Mark

That's the best good news story I have read all day. Have two more beers.

Hey, with a decent magnetic sump plug and some screens on the oil pumps, stuff that hits the sump doesn't usually get upstairs again anyway.....

Its when it gets stuck in the middle somewhere that it can ruin your day.

I've gotten old enough to have klutzed out on a few bits like this and know the feeling but so far have always been lucky- after the original heart attack is over.

These days, I'm old enough that I sometimes drop stuff even when I'm doing my best to be careful....

I have dropped many valve keepers in flat head engines. Just left them there. Never a problem. They go to the bottom and stay there. Oil pump can't pick them up through the screen. Just don't drop anything in the intake.

Congratulations on getting it out. I bet you feel much better.

David

I once dropped a panel screw around the triple clamp area. I couldn't find it and being OCD I removed all the body panels only to find it much later resting on the top of the left cylinder. I didn't have to remove any panels to retrieve it if I had seen it.

Now if I had dropped something inside the engine I might have dismantled the entire engine! Lol!

Glad you found the little sucker.

tsp

My MC Blog

Archived