IGNORED

Sticking throttle

FlyingFinn

The temperature in our garage follows the outside temp more closely than I would like. So in the morning the temperature inside the garage is in 40's, in the afternoon 70's.

Lately I have noticed that the throttle on my R1100S get sticky when ever temp drops, say to the 60's. In the morning if I twist the throttle fully open (engine not running grin.gif ) and then release it, it will stick open.

In the afternoon throttle snaps close just like it should.

Any ideas what's going on?

I need to get it fixed by Sunday. There's a local track day coming up and the tech inspection is early in the morning. dopeslap.gif

--

Mikko

Throttle cable might need to be lubed, but check the cable all the way down to make sure nothing is binding on it or kinked.

I can't imagine those kinds of temps binding anything in the throttle bodies.

wink.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Someone might have gotten over enthusiastic with the grease on the grip. Dismantle the throttle housing, remove the bar end weight and slide the throttle sleeve off the bar. Clean everything and then, very lightly, apply a little light weight grease like Vasoline to the bar. Reassemble and you should be good to go, unless of course it is the cables.

That's most likely it.

I'm just surprised by how much it changes over the ambient temperature. At (AZ)daytime temps it snaps close without a hint of sticking. Wait til the night and it sticks open... nuts.

Mikko

Another way to verify that it's the grip/cable is to open the throttle-valve pulleys with your finger. They should shut by themselves, without any resistance assuming the handgrip is fully closed.

russell_bynum

Another way to verify that it's the grip/cable is to open the throttle-valve pulleys with your finger. They should shut by themselves, without any resistance assuming the handgrip is fully closed.

Right.

Disconnect the main cable from the grip and pull it. It should snap back on its own. If it does, then the problem is in the grip. If it doesn't, do what RightSpin suggested to further isolate the problem.

My $$ is on a sticky grip. My RT did that once and I had to dissasemble the grip and clean everything up. Before I did that, I didn't need a throttle lock to maintain speed on the freeway. eek.gif

Archived