IGNORED

Won't Start

rfetested

Rode the bike 2 days ago and no problems. I always keep the battery tender on and it is showing full charge as well as bright lights ..radio etc.....but does nothing when pressing start switch...2010RT any ideas?

Morning rfetested

Is the trans in NEUTRAL (neutral light on), if not is the side stand UP & clutch lever pulled in.

Did you try starting with the clutch lever pulled in?

Any chance EWS is showing on the dash? (if EWS shows it won't start)

If the above is accounted for then as TSP mentioned it could be the starter switch.

You don't have your kill switch on do ya ????

On camheads kill switch is on rocker with start switch and if you're pressing start by definition kill switch is off.

I noticed on another board that some camhead owners are reporting the same problem. (no response when start switch is pressed). Seems to occurs when bike is parked in high heat/direct sun conditions. A foil contact inside the switch distorts when hot preventing the switch from making contact. The quick fix is to pour cold water on the switch. Replacement switches have a revised part number that addresses the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem on my 2011 RT. Bad start switch, got hot in sun.... Still under warranty, dealer replaced entire RHS switchgear. Stranded on road 3 hrs on hot day before tow came via BMW USA. My LHS gear went 3 months after I bought bike. $5 switch taking down $23,000 bikes...AND BMW wont recall it...what's wrong with that picture?? Because they can

Archived